Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Good News Story – Stolen Bike recovered [Always check Facebook Groups]
  • BillOddie

Just over a couple of weeks ago my garage got broken into and they made off with mine and the wife’s bikes.

Full tale of woe here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/yet-another-bike-break-in-leicester-surly-and-on-one-le6

I did the standard things like set up eBay alerts and check Gumtree and I also (this was new to me) checked Facebook for sale groups.

Well, what do you know! On the Friday after being broken into on Saturday night, I spotted my wife’s very distinctive On-One on ther “Bikes for Sale in Leicester” Facebook group.

It seems that Facebook is now the Fence’s best friend for moving dodgy stuff.

So, I got on the phone to the police and sent them screengrabs.
    They said they would look into it.

It all went quiet for a few days (I was away in North Wales) but then I got a voice mail that they had the bike.

Last night I went down to the Police station and identified, it, gave a statement and they released the bike to me.

Apparently the Facbook seller had already sold it, as had the person she sold it to. The Police actually seized the bike from a 3rd person!

It looks like it has been chucked in several vans several times and it’s picked up a fair few scratches, they have swapped the bars to a pair of Truvativ risers (also stolen from my garage – the liberty!) and the front brake feels odd.

Spoken to the insurance company and the bike is now ours again.

Time to give it a wash, fit new bars and grips and restore it almost it’s former glory!

High Fives and Fist Bumps to:
    Leicestershire Constabulary
    Halifax Home Insurance
    The many lovely people who offered to lend the wife and I bikes for our holiday at Coed-y-Brenin.

fathomer

*Likes*

I take it they didn’t find the others?

BillOddie

Not yet but we have a possible sighting of my Krampus in Leicester.

scandal42
    Free Member

Good stuff

Will keep em peeled for the other but I imagine they will more likely be in the city somewhere rather than out here.

This shit is a constant worry really isn’t it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Good News Story – Stolen Bike recovered [Always check Facebook Groups]’ is closed to new replies.