Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 249 total)
  • Good News Story – Coronavirus Vaccine Rollout
  • tonyg2003

Damn – should have said of course there is the consideration of the extra complication of 2 jabs vs flu jabs!

olddog

It’s 2 jabs for each person. So that’s 35m by your figures. So need to get up to 2m a week

Edit – beat me to it.

It’s doable – but it’s a real national mobilisation situation.

tonyg2003

Yep olddog that’s kinda what I reckon too

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Klunk
    Free Member

the **** up for my inlaws made the nationals, failed freezer trashed 975 doses.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve heard that Aldi checkout staff are being trained to do the jabs.
    Should have the whole country done by New Year.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m currently 8-8 every day in a vaccination centre in Ruislip – it’s going really smoothly.
    Loads of compliments on how well organised we are.

It’s a bugger trying to find volunteers to do marshalling & greeting.

db

Youngest daughter is in charge of the vaccine push at local hospital trust and eldest daughter is working all the overtime she can sticking needles in people!

Proud of them both and we will get there.

burko73

My sisters optician and staff have had the first jab but my 81 yr old mum and my 80 yr old dad who’s isolating in a room in his care home for a month as a staff member had covid haven’t had a jab yet!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Thw logistics of care homes is being worked on

jamiea
    Free Member

What are all those who are still furloughed doing 🙄 Another example why I’m getting so very f***ed off with the vast majority of this country.

doomanic

Waiting for the nightmare to end so they can bang out 8 weeks in a ski resort on all the unused AL…

dyna-ti

It’s looking like a million a week, so sorry to but it down to numbers but thats likely going to be the population some time next Christmas.

Might help by hanging anti-vaxxers.

Drac

It’s looking like a million a week, so sorry to but it down to numbers but thats likely going to be the population some time next Christmas.

The entire population won’t be getting it though.

olddog

My reading is…

Once the over 70s, people at high risk because of other morbidity and staff in high risk jobs have been vaccinated the hospitalisation rates and death rates will drop off massively. By the time all over 50s have been done we will more or less back to normal

If the vaccination also has an impact on transmission effect will be even quicker

So it is a massive undertaking but with organisation, competence and will mountains can be moved

nickingsley
    Free Member

Seems that high risk healthcare workers are now included – got a text this morning and booked in for first shot on Tues

👍

Sandwich

Olddog competence is where the wheels seem to fall off with this government. Just maybe with their mates not being involved we may stand a fighting chance as the professionals get to grips with things.

kerley
    Free Member

Once the over 70s, people at high risk because of other morbidity and staff in high risk jobs have been vaccinated the hospitalisation rates and death rates will drop off massively. By the time all over 50s have been done we will more or less back to normal

Agree, although there are 30 million people ager over 50 + a few million in high risk jobs so getting towards the 70% needed for herd immunity anyway.

I would estimate that is about a year away by which time it all has to be done again.

sockpuppet

I would estimate that is about a year away by which time it all has to be done again.

It’s not been established how long the protection lasts. It may not need to be annual even if it needs repeating.

After a year of doing it don’t you think the system might be a bit better than in its first few weeks?

No cause for gloom about next December yet is all I’m saying!

Kryton57

What are all those who are still furloughed doing 🙄 Another example why I’m getting so very f***ed off with the vast majority of this country.

Speaking for us, my wife was furloughed but now redundant. Although she’s looking for jobs we are increasingly thinking that over the next year with the kids online learning from school situation it may be better for her to remain jobless and us live on my wages to manage the situation. I imagine other parents are thinking the same.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I think his point was those on furlough could be standing around freezing and wet in a car park for the good of the country

You know, like Lord Kitchener would want people to do 🙂

TiRed

Put out an appeal for some performers. A few singers marshalling and performing. The odd actor. This is their time. Add some musicians for good measure.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m living this daily at the moment rolling out the vaccine programme in my area

Vaccine – The vaccine has its complications, where it can be transported, how it has to be handled, who can prescribe it.

Estate – Has to be clinical grade so means lots of change for many locations + as highlighted above many locations are private owned and wanting to charge silly silly money.

Workforce- hard to come by. NHS is short staffed as is. Getting medical staff is proving hard.

IT – Because it’s a 2 dose vaccine it needs a patient record creating, and IT infrastructure. Anybody got a few 1000 devices going spare?

Some issues will reduce as different vaccines come online but not all.

I genuinely think some sites and logistics should commandeered by the government, and staff on furlough brought in to help. Should go down well too with all the lefty’s on here 😁

andyrm
    Free Member

I’m finishing the last bits of paperwork tonight so I can be one of the vaccinators. Passed all tests/checks, prior experience put me in the “wanted” group.

Just got to do about 8 mini exams, download PDF certs then upload them, and I should then be good to go.

Boss has also been amazing regards flexibility to allow me to cover shifts at vaccination Centre.

One of the big things I think hasn’t been pushed proactively enough is that airline cabin crew are all experienced in administering injections and have exceptionally high level first aid training. They’re on the “wanted” list, have the right skills, but don’t appear to have been really directly approached. With all the reduction in air traffic, I’d have thought the people in charge of the vaccination programme would have liaised with the airlines.

martinhutch

Good work Andy.

maccruiskeen

One of the big things I think hasn’t been pushed proactively enough is that airline cabin crew are all experienced in administering injections

that’s not really a very large workforce though – I’m sure they could help but they’d make a very small dent nationally

Drac

One of the big things I think hasn’t been pushed proactively enough is that airline cabin crew are all experienced in administering injections

When you say experienced is that a loose use of the word?

kelvin

I genuinely think some sites and logistics should commandeered by the government, and staff on furlough brought in to help.

I agree.

RobHilton
    Free Member

The flight attendants thing might be helpful – I’ll suggest it. Since we’re near Heathrow it could be a goer.

The rules (at least for this) say you can be a vaccinator with zero clinical experience if you’re overseen for the first 3.
    I think 🙂 I’m getting a bit weary…

andyrm
    Free Member

Nope. Every single cabin crew member undertakes theoretical and practical training in this and more, with annual recertification and pre flight randomised questions before every flight.

rOcKeTdOg

anyone who can bleed brakes using a syringe can administer an injection, shame the bike shops are so busy

dantsw13

As an ex-military airline captain with very little work for the next few 6 months I would be keen to help with the vaccination programme. Where do I sign up?

Del

for all the cocknockery this place is flipping ace at times. well done fellas!

martinhutch

anyone who can bleed brakes using a syringe can administer an injection, shame the bike shops are so busy

Flicking around the nipple can help get those last stubborn bubbles out.

andyrm
    Free Member

Flicking around the nipple

I think that might be problematic with the “treating patients with dignity” bit….. 😂😂😂

martinhutch

Yeah, but they want the vaccine a lot, so they’re not going to complain when I turn them upside down, add some oil, and hit them with a spanner.

Northwind

Honestly a bit mystified as to why it’s volunteers at all. Seems to me like it’s an actual proper job with responsibilities and training and it’s a little bit important. Might sound petty but, I don’t like this government getting ideas about delivering critical services via volunteers, that’s a slippery slope especially as we progress further into recession and unemployment rises and they’ll be waxing their sledges…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m assuming that, at 39, unemployed and with no health issues that I’ll never be vaccinated?

FFJA
    Free Member

Thanks for the link @andyrm I’ve just applied. Fire service so plenty of first aid type experience as well as talking to old people! Worth a bash!

andyrm
    Free Member

Honestly a bit mystified as to why it’s volunteers at all. Seems to me like it’s an actual proper job with responsibilities and training and it’s a little bit important. Might sound petty but, I don’t like this government getting ideas about delivering critical services via volunteers, that’s a slippery slope especially as we progress further into recession and unemployment rises and they’ll be waxing their sledges…

Believe me, the application process has bedn rigorous and multi staged, there’s also then the 8 online training sessions and accompanying tests, then on the job training / supervision when you are starting.

Yes, I agree that longer term there needs to be thought about how we train and create employment to support the health service and not slip into everything being done by people out of a sense of societal duty, but right now, I think that’s a less important issue than getting the rollout done.

Certainly I view it that as I have the requisite skills and experience to help, it’s my moral obligation to do so.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 249 total)

The topic ‘Good News Story – Coronavirus Vaccine Rollout’ is closed to new replies.