Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Good news for Knoydart / the old forge
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

I am sure due diligence has been done, I’m still interested in the detail.

I’m still a bit confused. If the pub is viable why is state money required? If the pub isn’t viable why is it so pricey?

Certainly have no problem with state cash going to a cause like this, just surprised it’s needed.

Personally I think joint ownership of a pub is likely to be a disaster *but* they should certainly be given the chance and if all else fails they can just let it out and effectively outsource everything so it can’t really go far wrong medium term.

tjagain

ONly musings – I have no real knowledge

If the pub isn’t viable why is it so pricey?

because thats it value to incomers as a holiday home?

Is a commercial mortgage / loan available to a “community buyout? Can a commercial loan also cover things like “goodwill?”

molgrips
    Free Member

Pubs are weird businesses, not sure why. I live in a huge housing estate area with crap facilities. It’s fairly well off area but the only entertainment options are two pubs. One is a naff flat-roofed chain place with two meals for a tenner kids eat free type stuff, and the other was a country pub next to the church years ago, but when we came it was rubbish with bad food, then it closed. They are now building even more houses so it’s surrounded by lower middle class people with nowhere to walk to for a nice pint or a meal out. And yet they are still struggling to get anyone to run it, it’s one of those £1 lease jobs.

outofbreath
    Free Member

because thats it value to incomers as a holiday home?

Nope.

Is a commercial mortgage / loan available to a “community buyout? Can a commercial loan also cover things like “goodwill?”

You tell me, if it isn’t, it would answer my question.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Pubs are weird businesses, not sure why. I live in a huge housing estate area with crap facilities. It’s fairly well off area but the only entertainment options are two pubs. One is a naff flat-roofed chain place with two meals for a tenner kids eat free type stuff, and the other was a country pub next to the church years ago, but when we came it was rubbish with bad food, then it closed. They are now building even more houses so it’s surrounded by lower middle class people with nowhere to walk to for a nice pint or a meal out. And yet they are still struggling to get anyone to run it, it’s one of those £1 lease jobs.

True, but this is a unique pub and has never struggled to find landlords before, and in this case there’s a minimum £425k valuation which isn’t saying to me nobody’s interested, quite the opposite.

We’ll find out in time, I guess.

tjagain

And yet they are still struggling to get anyone to run it, it’s one of those £1 lease jobs.

sounds like its a tied house ie the licensee has to buy all stock at an inflated price from one supplier – who remains the owner of the building. Its a recipe for going bust in a short time.

duckman

The kids are 18 so we get parental permission to buy them a celebratory drink.

Because technically the trip is run from the school and even though they have left the award is linked to the school. You know how it all works.
    footflaps,again; I didn’t say I was the only one who had visited this Summer, so no thanks necessary.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’d have thought with no road access if you took away the pub and replaced it with a holiday let you’d be seeing the tourism disappear and before long the village resembling a great many tiny communities on the west coast.

A bunch of empty derelict building and because of the location maybe an MBA bothy. Whether the locals like it or not they surely benefit from the draw of having something to bring people in so it’s worth the moola

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Good news for Knoydart / the old forge’ is closed to new replies.