Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Good cycling book
  • Pieface

Hi, I’m not in the loop about good cycling books as I don’t read much. I’m after a present for a keen cyclist and would like a coffee table style book with good photo’s and inspiring stories of incredible feats.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not about the bike, not sure who wrote it.

Failing that a 100th Tdf one, I think there is a DH WC one full of awesome pics from a few years back and the specialized stuntjumper fsr one

camo16
    Free Member

It’s not about the bike, not sure who wrote it.

Rob Penn.

It’s a great read, but if the person you’re giving the present to is a keen cyclist, I’m betting he/she already has it.

I don’t know about coffee table books, but Race for Mad Men and the Bahamontes bio ‘Eagle of Toledo’ are both excellent.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Get them a copy of ‘Two Wheels North’ (it’s not a coffee table book though so you’ll need to think of something else too)

Pieface

I got them ‘Race for Mad Men’ and a copy of ‘The Rules’.

dknwhy

Mountain High by Daniel Friebe is quite a nice one. Loads of stunning mountain shots with a bit of history about the climbs etc.

fasthaggis

cyrilswan
    Free Member

David Millar – Racing Through The Dark.

Excellent book.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

As above, Racing through the Dark is an excellent read. I also enjoyed How I wont the Yellow Jumper by Ned Boulting, an interesting and different perspective on cycling and the circus around the Tour. I also now feel like I know him really well!

blurty

I’m just reading ‘Mountain King’ Its a sort of a coffee table book (but smaller & paperback) with nice pics and character sketches of all the Tour heroes. I’m really enjoying it.

‘Put me back on my bike’ is a good book, if the person is interested in the Tour & history of cycling

another vote for the David Millar, Racing through the dark – truly excellent

blurty

Mountain Kings: Agony and Euphoria on the Peaks of the Tour De France [Paperback}

takisawa2

MBUK

beej

You’ve asked for a coffee table style book and people have recommended humorous paperbacks and biographies…

Mountain High is a good one, and Mapping Le Tour de France by Ellis Bacon is getting good reviews.

I’d recommend going to a decent big bookshop and having a look. There are probably a few big glossy history of the TdF books around.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A friend got me “12 months in the saddle”. It’s two blokes tackling a classic route each month for 12 months. they do Paris Roubaix, Fred Whitton, L’eroica, etc. It’s coffee table format with lots of lovely photos. Not actually read it yet but it does look good.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

twistedpencil

Made In England – The Artisans Behind The Handbuilt Bicycle

Coffee table book present to my self, justified it by not buying any vinyl to the missus 😀

The Rob Penn book is It’s ALL about the bike. Subtle difference but not nearly so readily available in second hand book shops as t’other book mentioned.

Work of fiction, only cycling one I’ve read, but very good, The Rider, by Tim Krabbe. Not coffee table but a nice change from doping testimonies and autobiographies.

seven
    Free Member

How much you looking to spend? A 6 or 12 month sub to rouleur might be worth considering. Gererally great article, and always stunning photos

And the gift will run and run 🙂

aa
    Free Member

imo, this is an awesome coffee table book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1934030090/ref=mw_dp_img?is=l

footflaps

Not really a coffee table book, but Chris Hoy’s autobiography is excellent.

MoreCashThanDash

12 months in the saddle by Dearing and Ashley – lovely photographs, a proper tribute to two mamils having a hell of a year

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Good cycling book’ is closed to new replies.