Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Good bike shops in Glasgow?
  • gg14
    Free Member

As above really, good shops for repairs, servicing etc?

tom.nash
    iainc

20 mins south will get you to Sprockets – Dave is handy with a spanner ( and a hammer 🙂 )

Waderider
    Free Member

Billy Bilslands

allfankledup

To repair or service what type of bike ?

Road or cross bike I would be heading to kilmaurs to speak to Walkers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Go to walkers if you fancy getting spoken to like a child!

For repairs in Glasgow, you’ll be beat willy bain on the south of the river.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Joe and the guys at Gear, Gibson St.

Allan and them at Alpine, St Georges Cross.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Is Carl at Bike Love still up & going?

iainc

Jim in Dales is old school and knows most things !

legend
    Free Member

scruffywelder – Member

Does he know how to index gears yet? Seems to keep his good work for the World Cups unfortunately.

Free Flow Bikes on Pollockshaws Road is a good one

shermer75
    Free Member

Isn’t bencooper of this parish based in Glasgow?

gg14
    Free Member

Sorry should’ve added it’s for a FS mountain bike. I have a local shop Craig McMartin cycles but I won’t be using them again. I wasn’t impressed last time I was in there.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

iainc

If you’re south side already just pop up the A77 to see Dave in Kilmarnock 🙂 . he’ll be reading this and his modesty will be stopping him posting 😀

gg14
    Free Member

Cheers Iain I don’t mind a short journey I’m wanting to make a few changes to the bike but don’t have the time, space or knowledge to do them myself so I might take a trip out to Killie in the next couple of weeks.

poah
    Free Member

what exactly are you wanting to change, plenty of people in glasgow with tools that wouldn’t mind helping. I do everything to my bike other than headset fitting and facing.

Used Freeflow/Craig MacMartin cycles on pollokshaws Road a couple of times and happy with their work, what didn’t you like. Not keen on Gear since Gregor sold up and I won’t use Dales for personal reasons.

poah
    Free Member

legend – Member

scruffywelder – Member

Does he know how to index gears yet? Seems to keep his good work for the World Cups unfortunately.

Free Flow Bikes on Pollockshaws Road is a good one

FreeFlow is Craig Macmarting cycles lol

hainman
    Free Member

Dales have been a good local option for me.As has Carl at Bikelove I think as Carl works alone in the shop he maybe takes longer on some jobs but I can’t fault him,Also had good service from Dougie at Dales,

poah
    Free Member

used to work in Dales, remember Jim spilling food onto his trousers and burning his balls lol

legend
    Free Member

Not keen on Gear since Gregor sold up

Who? Gear was owned by Joe (who ran Gear) and George (who ran/runs West End Cycles)

gg14
    Free Member

I took my bike in when my chain kept slipping off the gears and the jockey wheel was a wee bit loose. The owner was in and he put the bike up on the stand and had a nosey about, he then said something along the lines of “this bike is just a mix and match of parts I don’t know who put it together” The bike is a 2014 giant trance advanced 1 and no parts had been changed on it so I was quite confused by this.

He bashed about for a bit and took the jockey wheel off and back on and said it should do it, I just didn’t like his overall attitude and the comments about the parts being a mix and match led me to believe he didn’t really know what he was talking about.

I’m wanting to change it to 1×10 and fit a new front fork that’s it really. (For now)

Thanks again.

Northwind

But, gg- did it fix it? It’s not clear but if he did, he’s basically annoyed you by fixing a problem without you having to buy new parts.

iainc

If I had a less than 2 yr old Giant in Glasgow I’d be taking it to the Giant dealer (Dales)…..oh, hang on, my 2015 Anthem is going in there on Monday for a seatpost issue 😀

poah
    Free Member

Who? Gear was owned by Joe (who ran Gear) and George (who ran/runs West End Cycles

Used to be called Gear of Glasgow owened by Gregor. Joe bought it when Gregor moved to the states. This was about 1998 or so.

gg14
    Free Member

I rode the bike a handful of times after it and it seemed okay, It only came off twice originally but and the chain seemed to get jammed between the jockey wheel and the cage. I was speaking to someone not long after it who said I could have been cross chaining and that could’ve caused it.

Is it the giant contact? Mines has been great, touch wood.

iainc

Is it the giant contact?

Yes…

here

legend
    Free Member

Used to be called Gear of Glasgow owened by Gregor. Joe bought it when Gregor moved to the states. This was about 1998 or so.

Things may have changed since then

poah
    Free Member

Things may have changed since then

yes which is why I don’t use the shop anymore 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

Isn’t bencooper of this parish based in Glasgow?

I am, 6 doors along from BikeLove – if you want something weird building or repairing I’m your man, otherwise there’s lots of other good normal bike shops!

Willy Bain, BikeLove, Dales, Wheelcraft (out of the city a bit), Gear, Alpine, etc etc.

Aye, Gregor Buchanan moved to the States with his American missus, last I heard he was running a shop in New England somewhere. When Joe took over he sold me all the weird stuff that Gregor had left behind.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Willy Bain is quality.

julzm
    Free Member

+ 1 for sprockets and Dales

Curle Cycles in Airdrie is also pretty decent. Owner, Andrew, is a MTBer and is also pretty good at dealing with jobs. quickly.

thegman67

Dougie and Jim at Dales cycles are hard to beat

seosamh77
    Free Member

Wullie bain is a good shout.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve used:

Dales, no issues but always busy
    Willie Bain, great guy but don’t go in with an attitude. Can be quite slow but only because he’s busy. Very accommodating if you don’t go in expecting to get the job done asap
    Sprockets in Kilmarnock, great service and attention to detail. I took a new frame in to get the headset fitted, it had a small paint chip on the chainstay, picked it up and it had been touched up.
    Walkers, used them occasionally, wouldn’t drive 20 miles to use them though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sprockets are also moving this year – but only to a new building at the other end of the current one! Ive seen the plans, it’s bloody big, and looks very impressive. Should be done before the summer.

Best of luck to them, they’ve put a huge amount of work in to establish themselves, great bunch.

Sanny
    Free Member

Another vote for Carl in Bikelove from me! Always had excellent service from him. 😀

Cheers

Sanny

glasgowdan
    Free Member

A good friend had her bike in bains twice and he still didn’t resolve a loose bb and chainset. Not sure who I’d trust with my pride and joy to be honest, had iffy experiences with a few of them

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Good bike shops in Glasgow?’ is closed to new replies.