Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • good Apps for the i Phone
  • Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

As the advert says 10's of thousands of apps but which ones are any good and which are crap..

Thanks in advance

MrNutt
    Free Member

all of them will eventually lead you into feeling of futility when trapped inside a fridge and you know its sat just outside the door, on the floor. All except the bargainilicous App for "a new Charles Manson Quote a day" that is. 😀

the-muffin-man

Don't get Orbital or Drop7 unless you want hours of your day to just disappear!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vinnyeh

Doodle Jump.

porterclough
    Free Member

You want us to go through them all? 😉

The one I wrote is, naturally, ace.

If you like that sort of thing.

My son is addicted to doodlejump, I can't be bothered. I like moodagent, which chooses music semi-randomly according to various settings for things like tempo, 'joy', 'aggressive', 'tender' etc. Sounds a but rubbish but actually works quite well – adjust a couple of the setting then if the first track suits your mood you'll have a whole playlist full of songs that match. Ideal for the car.

GrahamS

Some games:
    Doodle Jump – good "sat on the bog" game
    Flight Control – stop planes hitting each other.
    Bejewelled 2 – the gem matching classic with new Facebook-linked Blitz mode.
    Wild West Pinball
    iBomber – man the bomb sight of a plane and blow stuff up
    Word Ace – Boggle meets Poker
    Broken Sword – remastered version of classic graphical adventure
    PicGrid – picross style puzzles
    Jet Car Stunts – remember "Stunt Car Racer" on Atari/Amiga, well it's like that.
    Dr Awesome

Other Stuff
    Now Playing – local cinema listings, film reviews, etc
    TVGuide – TV listing that is probably faster and better than the one built into your TV
    Stanza – electronic library
    iOSMaps – os mapping (currently broken)
    MotionX GPS Lite – more mapping, plus tracks, offline maps etc (free)
    Photo Buddy – lots of handy calculators for photography (e.g. DoF, exposure etc)
    NatWest – banking
    Gorillacam – adds self-timer, digital zoom, spirit level etc to camera
    Camera Genius – similar to Gorillacam but also adds burst mode and voice activated shutter
    Photoshop Mobile – for tweaking pics once you take them
    PixUp – for uploading pics to various websites (Facebook, Picasa, Flickr etc)
    facebook – becasue you can't live without status updates
    MPORA – for a YouTube like thing full of biking/snowboarding videos.

GrahamS

Oh and most of those are free or dirt cheap (i.e. 59p)

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

cheers all that will give me something to play with.

Drac

ECG Guide
    AF Guide

Are very useful for teaching and refreshing.

Pandorabox for checking to see which apps are now free.
    IMDB for movie geekness
    MX Mayhem
    Angry Birds

Slacks
    Free Member

viz profanisaurus

windydave13
    Free Member

Not so much an app, but one i'm loving at the moment is TVCatchup.com bookmark the page on your home screen and you can watch all the free to air channels for free with only about a 30s delay from the live.
    Works peachy over 3G so no need to be hooked up to wireless.

Other than that i use runkeeper to log my rides and view/share the map afterwards

WD13

GrahamS

Likewise a home screen bookmark to Mobile version of the iplayer site gets used pretty frequently on mine.

dave_aber
    Free Member

sniff
    Free Member

Mpora – excellent mtb vids
    acrossair – augmented reality
    bloomberg – if you have shares
    Photoshop
    facebook

all free

CountZero

Forget iOSMaps, it's utterly useless. If you want OS maps with route tracking, then get Memory Map Free. You get 400sq km free maps in either1:50k or 1:25k, with 1:1000000 and 1:250k free. You set up an account, then you can buy 700sq km chunks of map OTA (Over The Air), for £12 a time. It works very well, and is the only option if you want to record and save and export tracks, until Viewranger is released. They're demoing iPhones and Android phones at the Outdoor Show this weekend. Flixster for cinema listings, Shazam for getting song info from radio, TV, or even gigs. Stanza, eReader and Kindle for ebooks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

dave_aber…

That's brilliant that is…where do you get them?

CountZero

Dd, if you zoom into the bottom r/hand corner of the pic you'll see the URL of the 'site.
    demotivationalpics.com

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sky Sports Football
    ECB cricket scores
    amazon (great for the image scanner/price comparison)
    facebook

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Highways Agency traffic updates

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Call of Duty Zombies

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers CZ…added to the home screen 😕

GrahamS

It works very well, and is the only option if you want to record and save and export tracks, until Viewranger is released.

I think the MotionX app also lets you record and share tracks.

Doesn't have true OS maps, but does have downloadable OpenCycleMap terrain maps which have contours etc.

And it's all free, including maps.

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy:
    dave_aber…

That's brilliant that is…where do you get them?

STW apparently.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, I knew I'd seen it only hours earlier but to be fair Jamie,

go crazy on your diamond

was the line of the thread. I've already used it to somebody today. Not sure he had a clue what I meant though.

samuri
    Free Member

imobsters
    flight control
    angry birds
    suduko

Are my most used apps (well games really)

corroded
    Free Member

The two I use most are Byline for RSS feeds and the NY Times, the best newspaper app.

CountZero

One I used earlier that you ought to have is Orange Wednesday. And yes, it does work on other networks.
    All you do is get a cheap PAYG SIM, and put that number into the registration, or if you have access to an Orange email addy then put that in. Works just fine. The various spirit level apps are handy, too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oooh nice tip CZ. So tell me again, I just get my ass into an orange shop, pick up a PAYG sim and I'm there with Orange Wednesdays? Been trying to figure that one out for ages. Nice one 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have the Orange Wednesdays app on my phone (O2) and didn't need to do anything – it seems to work fine. ?

GrahamS

But do you actually get the "Orange Wednesdays" offer mf? (i.e. two-for-one at the cinema)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I haven't tried to do it but the function to get the ticket is on the app – just read the terms though so perhaps not…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think that what the count says is correct… Just need a cheap PAYG sim…that should sort it.

Jamie
    Free Member

So if you get a cheap sim from Amazon for £3 then it will pay for itself in 0.3 trips to to the cinema..nice!

More info on Martin's Money Saving website.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/orange-wednesday

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have purchased an iPhone this morning and doodlejump will be the first app I add.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought they were giving them away these days…£3.02 you say? Still good value though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh, as for apps. Plants vs Zombies is wikid.

Jamie
    Free Member

I thought they were giving them away these days…tenner you say? Still good value though.

See ninja edited post 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Never seen faster…

Dave
    Free Member

You can get free Orange (and O2) payg sims posted to you. Just order them off their websites.

wwaswas

Is there an equivalent of Nokia sportstracker for the iPhone?

My wife's doign the Brighton marathon next month and it would be useful to be able to track her progress so we can get to various points at the right time to cheer her on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘good Apps for the i Phone’ is closed to new replies.