Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Good all rounder 29er Tyre
  • GDRS

Opinions please. Speedkings are now turning to mud dohnuts on the north downs…….so what’s the view for a good all rounder / set up.

Singlespeed sillyness needs to be taken into account. It really does.

Cheers

weeksy

Bonty Mud-X.

They’re only 600gr so despite the nobblies, work well on drier trails and even on the road. And of course, they’re great in the mud.

pete68
    Free Member

maxxis beavers. lighter and roll nicer than the mud x.

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxis Beavers. Lighter and roll nicer than the Mud X.

+1 agree with this

rootes1

finding Specialized GCs good allrounders

Clobber
    Free Member

hans dampf

bikebouy
    Free Member

HansDampfs are a bit heavy, something like 850g’s each.. Good tyres and dig in well but again @2.35’s they’re a bit on the wide side too.
    I have them on my 29erSS and used them about 6 times but think they’re a bit heavy.

Maxis Beavers look an option, just finding out where I can get hold of them locally.

mcboo
    Free Member

Beavers are terrific but some people (me) had a hard time getting them up tubeless. Mud-X cover all the bases, maybe pair with a Nic or your regular tyre of choice on the front.

Clobber
    Free Member

just not enough volume in a mud-x, beaver are better but i had trouble getting mine up tubeless. Had to put a tube in and leave it for a couple of days followed by a compressor… Sealed nicely once in the bead though.

stevexc
    Free Member

Another vote for Specialized Ground Controls (the Control version, not the S-Works). Great all rounder. Maybe not quite as good in really muddy conditions as the Mud-X but better everywhere else.

ssboggy

Maxxis Beavers are good but the sidewalls are a bit fragile if you ride in rocky areas, i’ve just put a pair of On One Smorgasbords onto the singlespeed and am quite impressed. They are a bit heavy but grip well in mud and soft conditions

pete68
    Free Member

I also struggled to get the beavers up tubeless. so i made one of those coke bottle compressors and once up stayed up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Good all rounder 29er Tyre’ is closed to new replies.