• This topic has 31 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Gong for Shauna Coxsey so why hasn't Rachel Atherton got one
  • ampthill

link

So bouldering world cup leader Shaune Coxsey has got an MBE. Well deserved I’m sure

But as Rachel Atherton has dominated her sport for rather longer I wondered why she hasn’t got one. May be she was in too many sweary videos and therfore doesn’t cut as a role model in the same way?

No sour grapes here just intrested in your thoughts

Video about her

4 tops in Munich

scotroutes

Vot ist ein mann?
    I’ll be zer?

choppersquad
    Free Member

I can’t think of many sportsmen/women that deserve one more than her?
    Sir Steve Peat perhaps?

ampthill

Oops

I can’t think of many sportsmen/women that deserve one more than her?

I assume you mean Rachel

choppersquad
    Free Member

Absolutely Rachel.

chakaping
    Free Member

She may have refused.

Or more likely nobody nominated her.

I’m not a fan of the honours system but Rachel would be a very deserving candidate

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s irrelevant. Can never understand why anyone cares, never mind gets upset….

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ as above someone has to nominate you and then you are sounded out. If Johnny Wilkinson isn’t a knight yet there is a good reason, he’s said either not yet or no thanks.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I think Rachel deserves one, but yes she has to be nominated. Mind you, her achievements ( or many other professional mountain bikers ) do not appear to get much recognition in the mainstream press or TV.

olddog

Im pretty sure it’s the sports governing body that would normally do the nominating. She may have been asked and turned it down, she may have been nominated but nomination turned down by the committee, but that seems unlikely or she’s never been nominated.

olddog

Bouldering not exactly filling the sports pages either

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Is never heard of Ms Coxsey but blimey that YouTube link was excellent.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Cus she’s American isn’t she?

WildHunter2009

In no way saying Rachel isn’t amazing ( she is frighteningly good) but women’s bouldering is a pretty competitive field. Women’s downhill has a fair way to go before it’s got the numbers and depth in terms of the top women climbers and boulderers. I suspect that might have something to do with it unfortunately.

ampthill

In no way saying Rachel isn’t amazing ( she is frighteningly good) but women’s bouldering is a pretty competitive field. Women’s downhill has a fair way to go before it’s got the numbers and depth in terms of the top women climbers and boulderers. I suspect that might have something to do with it unfortunately.

That is an interesting perspective. My hunch was that Mounatin Biking was bigger than climbing as a spectator event. There were 25,000 at Fort William this year. I have never seen anything like that many people in the audience at a Bouldering world cup. I hadn’t een thought about the gender balance

In terms of participation it is a can of worms. I think all of the following would be true?

More people cycle than climb

Off road cycling and climbing are similar in numbers

Bouldering has more participants than Downhill mountain biking. Bouldering seems to be exploding in popularity at the moment

WildHunter2009

I think bouldering has the benefit of being very accessible as well. A lot of young people might have been to a climbing wall or had a crack at bouldering. This is a mountain biking forum and how many of us have ever ridden downhill seriously? Its a niche market within a relatively small sport unfortunately.

I guess I know a lot of women who climb or boulder but pretty much zero who ride MTB let alone DH.

Interestingly looking quickly at the IFSC website 68 women competed at the 20i6 bouldering world cup. The DH womens field doesnt really look that great in comparison, and thats at a home venue in one of the strongest countries in terms of riders.

Bit of a shame really.

martinhutch

It’s a bit curious, mainly because she hadn’t actually won a major championship at the time the honour was conferred. I think she may have sealed the championship this weekend?

Just seems a bit early for honours, she’s only 22. Sensational climber, though. The amount of power and technique is stupendous.

mrhoppy

I think the answer is British Cycling. The BMC, have supported Shauna fairly well and used her as a positive role model to aspiring young female climbers and as such she’s had a fairly significant impact on the perception and take up of the sport. I’m also assuming that they nominated her.

BC on the other hand don’t appear to have made much of Rach and a lot of the good stuff she does has been off her own back (sponsoring the junior women’s category) and really not brought to the attention of a wider market effectively by the governing body.

I also think that Shauna is extremely well switched on to ‘marketing’ herself through social media, and manages to do it very well (going back to the Anneka Beerten post). Its quite enlightening seeing her poss on what training she does and where she goes. This makes it easier for the public to engage outside of competitions which is something I’m not sure the Athertons do so well in general.

atlaz
    Free Member

As successful as Gee and Rachel are, they come across when interviewed as a little dull and one-dimensional (like a lot of the riders TBH). It feels a lot like seeing interviews with the majority of young racing drivers where you can almost predict what will come out of their mouths. Perhaps growing up in the spotlight has silenced the genuine voice or it could just be they are not that good at interviews. I watched the video with Shauna and she comes across as pretty polished but with a voice that may well be coached but at least seems genuine.

It’s a trait shared by a lot of sports people, they’re doing what they’re doing for their sporting prowess not their personalities for the most part (Peaty’s last couple of years not withstanding).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As successful as Gee and Rachel are, they come across when interviewed as a little dull and one-dimensional (like a lot of the riders TBH).

Really? I think she comes over very well in interviews, this year in particular hasn’t been shy at calling a spade a spade either in terms of the way the women’s events are handled. While doing the obligatory sponsored bit.

Gee doesn’t come over as well.
    The likes of vergier this weekend and some of the other young guys are good and give an insight into what’s going on. Try watching the vital sideshows from Sven and she chats a lot.

A real credit to the sport and will have a similar legacy to T Mo and Peaty other through achievements and bringing the sport along.

spawnofyorkshire

Coxsey is one of the patrons of Climbers Against Cancer and has been heavily involved in the women’s climbing symposium for the last couple of years so I’m guessing it’s not just for her climbing ability (which is pretty special).

Atherton isn’t quite as noticeable for her sponsorship of the Junior womens DH but give it time. Anyway there’s time for her to bag one in the New Years list yet

Think both women are deserving of one

steve_b77
    Free Member

As said above, it all comes down to who nominates you.

I’d also imagine that coming from Runcorn and reaching the heady heights that she has may have some bearing on it.

By the looks of it, I don’t really know, going off that video up there Shauna seems to be beating pretty good male competitors. How does Rachel rank in the upper echelons of the male DH world?

spawnofyorkshire

By the looks of it, I don’t really know, going off that video up there Shauna seems to be beating pretty good male competitors. How does Rachel rank in the upper echelons of the male DH world?

The men and women do separate competitions, the grading of the problems may be similar level but the route-setters design them to be different. The men might do a few more dynos (jumps) and the women may have more balancy problems with smaller holds.

In the lead world cups (on ropes) the womens routes can often be higher
    grades because they have more moves on smaller holds but be less physical than the mens

That’s a generalised summary of it but roughly holds true

atlaz
    Free Member

Really? I think she comes over very well in interviews, this year in particular hasn’t been shy at calling a spade a spade either in terms of the way the women’s events are handled. While doing the obligatory sponsored bit.

You could be right that she’s improved then as I’ve just ignored anything with any of the Athertons in that isn’t just them riding bikes for some time. It used to be really derivative “aren’t we wild and crazy” sorts of videos, which just isn’t for me.

Undoubtedly she’s the best of her era but the level of competition is obviously poor. 30s covers the top 10 in the women’s race, it covers basically the entire field in the men’s race. She’d be outside the top 10 male juniors and not even in the top 80 for the male elite race. Obviously there’s a lot of strength difference but a reduced pool limits the opportunities for other superstars.

opusone
    Free Member

Shauna’s MBE is thoroughly deserved. Not only is she brilliant at her sport (world champion as of yesterday) but she’s also a great ambassador for climbing in general and women’s bouldering in particular, patron/founder of Climbers Against Cancer (who should really have a think about their acronym) and probably the nicest famous person I’ve met.

None of that is to suggest that Rachel Atherton doesn’t deserve some recognition from the British state, but I don’t think that it’s especially helpful to compare the two of them. Make the case for Rachel by all means, but it doesn’t need to be at the expense of Shauna.

All of that said, many people turn down gong (and keep quiet about it) so maybe she’s been offered one and said no thanks. In a world where Philip bloody Green is Sir Philip Green I think I’d probably do that (not that I’ve ever done anything to merit it).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Undoubtedly she’s the best of her era but the level of competition is obviously poor.

I think this a bit harsh on her competition, who have frequently beaten Rachel in competition. She’s just on incredible form at the moment. Though there certainly isn’t the same depth of quality that you have in the men’s field.

And don’t forget that Gwin had a season a few years ago where he made the rest of the men’s field look a bit silly.

dragon
    Free Member

Personally I think women’s downhill right now is at weakest for years. Which is in contrast to women’s XCO which seems to be pretty competitive right now.

ampthill

Thanks for all the excellent input.

I don’t have a problem with Shauna getting an honour or Rachel not getting one.

The strength of bouldering and climbing at the moment is huge

One of my random windows on the world is my Facebook feed

I have about 200 hundred students as “friends”. I think about 7 have taken up bouldering since I taught them. Not a huge % but I certainly feel it’s on the up

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Shauna is my little girls inspiration for her climbing. She turned up personally at our local climbing wall, chatted and had pictures taken with her and gave my little girl a nice little drawing and good luck message for her birthday. I have never seen my girl speachless before.

I dare say Rachel is the same for a lot of other little girls interested in biking.

Havent really got an opinion on either getting an MBE but both ladies are fantastic role models and going about things the way i would love my daughter to. Hats off to them both

brassneck

My hunch was that Mounatin Biking was bigger than climbing as a spectator event.

I’d agree, but I bet bouldering has an edge in participation (for women at least). Maybe that’s an argument for though, more exposure.

ampthill

Just seen this UKClimbing

pretty much explains it

founding and organising the Women’s Climbing Symposium, her role as a Climber’s Against Cancer Trustee and BMC Ambassador – tick both boxes and have been duly recognised in this award.

Source

MSP

Queeny should be hoping for an award from Rachel, she far more relevant and worthy of respect than the monarch.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Gong for Shauna Coxsey so why hasn't Rachel Atherton got one’ is closed to new replies.