Gone veggie for a week….

Home Forum Chat Forum Gone veggie for a week….

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Gone veggie for a week….
  • Roter Stern

You could always make some stinky tofu. If anyone ever says that tofu tastes bland should try some of this! It tastes like pigs smells, is the best way I can describe it but after a while it became my favourite dish in Taiwan!

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

As a veggie of 20 years plus, I never got on with tofu.

I use Quorn mince / chunks a lot. The key thing to remember though is that you can’t cook it like meat, the mince especially. I’ve seen recipes for stuff like (meat) spag bol or chilli which involve simmering for hours to tenderise the meat, if you do that with Quorn you’ll end up with slurry.

If I’m cooking something that needs to be cooked for ages, I’ll chuck the mince in ten – fifteen minutes before it’s due to come off, it only really needs warming through. Alternatively, frying it off first and then adding it makes it a bit more robust.

IME when people say they don’t like Quorn, it’s almost always because they’ve boiled the arse out of it for an hour.

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

tofu is the same as any food item, in that some people like it and some people don’t.
    doesn’t mean it’s “shit”. it’s actually an incredibly versatile source of protein as the different types of it can be used in many different dishes, e.g. i can blend soft silken tofu with melted dark chocolate and freshly squeezed orange juice then put it in bowls and refrigerate overnight to make a choc orange mousse, or i can press and crumble regular firm tofu then mash with a fork along with finely chopped basil, nutritional yeast flakes, crushed garlic and seasoning to make a soft cheese style ravioli/canneloni filling, or i could just marinate chunks/strips of it then fry or bake…
    if you take it for what it is, it’s a handy thing to have in the fridge (if you’re veggie/vegan). if not, then that’s fine.

the amusing/sad thing is that if someone had asked about how to use some cut of meat and one of the forum veggies had replied saying “it’s shit”, you lot would have been all over them.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Only one person said it was “shit” and that person was a vegan. Whilst I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, it seems a little unfair to be pulling up the carnivores for it.

oldboy

Been a strict vegetarian for 30 years and definitely don’t need a “meat substitute” of any description. I never got on with tofu either, but as a recent convert to Quorn, I think it’s quite good (not in the meat flavoured variations, obviously!)

deadlydarcy

Tofu has been around a lot longer than the concept of “meat substitutes for veggies”.

mogrim

Only one person said it was “shit” and that person was a vegan. Whilst I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, it seems a little unfair to be pulling up the carnivores for it.

It has to be said there were a couple of “I’ve just had a lovely leg of lamb ner ner ner” type posts, though ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

Yeah, fair point!
    I was including the crass “i ate a lump of sheep” and “throw it in the bin” type comments too i suppose.

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

Tofu has been around a lot longer than the concept of “meat substitutes for veggies”.

true.
    i for one don’t view it as that anyway.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

IME when people say they don’t like Quorn, it’s almost always because they’ve boiled the arse out of it for an hour.

IME it’s because they are comparing it to meat.

It’s alright on its own terms, but never anything more than that.

bob_summers

maybe if it was cruelty free biodynamic quorn and three times the price…

Junkyard

nutritional yeast flakes

They are lovely for flavour

and definitely don’t need a “meat substitute” of any description. I never got on with tofu either, but as a recent convert to Quorn,

I am fairly confident that Quorn should be considered a meat substitute [ it is certainly advertised as this] – its not vegan so i dont eat it.

i dont have a problem with veggies who eat meat substitutes to be clear.

If you eat tofu as a meat substitute you will be very disappointed

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

Just to be clear, my post was light-hearted and clearly not taken by some in the spirit in which it was intended!

Lighten-up peeps. ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I was including the crass “i ate a lump of sheep” and “throw it in the bin” type comments too i suppose.

Eh, I thought the bacon one was funny.

I am fairly confident that Quorn should be considered a meat substitute [ it is certainly advertised as this] – its not vegan so i dont eat it.

It is in the UK, at least. In the US the main thrust of their marketing is as a low fat ‘diet’ food.

Some Quorn has egg as an ingredient, so isn’t vegan. I didn’t realise that applied to all the products though, I thought some didn’t.

Junkyard

You might be correct re the egg – i dont check tbh so cannot be sure

Scurries off to check the vegan bible ๐Ÿ˜‰

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

there’s no quorn products outside of the US so far that don’t have egg in. i think they talked about making an egg free burger (because i think that’s their US vegan item) available here last year but i didn’t see anything come of it.

Just to be clear, my post was light-hearted and clearly not taken by some in the spirit in which it was intended!

Fair enough. hard to tell on here sometimes, with the proliferation of knobheadery…

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

Fair enough. hard to tell on here sometimes, with the proliferation of knobheadery…

Ladies never fall into that category, we leave it to the blokes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

I’ve never enjoyed the tofu from supermarkets.
    We to travel every-so-often to chinatown to get the nice fresh stuff (which can soak up flavour). Absolutely love it then.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

forget about it and buy some proper steaks. Her reply was that it’s healthy

Steak is healthy ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway I don’t like eating food that’s pretending to be something else. If I eat a veggie dish it’s a dish that is good without meat – chili or dahl for instance, or the other day I had a very nice chickpea biryani. Likewise when making iDiet meals I just make things that don’t need bread or mash rather than try and substitute.

Kuco

xherbivorex – Member
    Yeah, fair point!

POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I stand by my throw it in the bin comment. The op wanted ideas what to do with it so I gave him one.

Junkyard

Steak is healthy

In moderation

is there not a limit to the amount of red meat you are advised to eat and a MINIMUM number of veg?

Neither diet is healthy per se but red meat is only ok in moderation

That is like saying cakes are healthy or similar.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Anyway I don’t like eating food that’s pretending to be something else.

It’s not pretending to be anything, it’s just that you’re conditioned into expecting things a certain way. A lamb bhuna isn’t pretending to be a chicken bhuna now, is it?!

It’s a mistake to think of this stuff as “fake meat.” I’ve had people ask why I’d eat fake sausages, I clearly want to eat sausages so why not eat them? But that’s not the case; sausages, burgers, mince etc are just convenient methods of packaging protein. There’s nothing inherently burger-shaped in beef, it’s ground up and squished into a flat disc so it’s convenient to eat on a bun. People make chilli with turkey mince and no-one bats an eyelid. Why’s Quorn / TVP any different? They’re all just chewy savoury bits in a rich sauce.

_tom_

What do you do for a good amount of protein without meat? Not a dig just curious as I wouldn’t mind cutting down on the amount of chicken I eat (just because I’m getting a bit bored of it) but veggie stuff aeems a bit bland for stuff with good protein content as well – lentils or beans pretty much?

Kuco

Quinoa meant to be really good as it contains all of the essential amino acids, but I didn’t like it when I tried it. Sky team chef Sรธren Kristiansen serves it up a lot to the team.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Despite being an absolute meat fiend, I made the decision to go pescetarian a couple of weeks ago. A friend sent me a video of animal slaughter in an abattoir, and the general treatment of animals in them. I only bought organic meat, in the hope that they at least lived a decent healthy life, but I still can’t reconcile myself with their fate. I’d seen a similar video before, but this one struck a chord with me. I also donate every month to several animal charities, and even that couldn’t alleviate the guilt I felt. So I made the decision to try and go pescetarian. It’s actually a lot easier than I expected. I’ve no interest in meat substitutes like quorn or similar stuff, just lots of good veg and seafood. However I have purposely avoided the smell of bacon…

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

I made the decision to go pescetarian a couple of weeks ago. A friend sent me a video of animal slaughter in an abattoir, and the general treatment of animals in them.

It’s not all laughter and happy frollicking in commercial fishing either. You should check that out too. ๐Ÿ˜•

I only eat Quorn etc when I’m feeling especially lazy, but most of the time I’ve found that being ‘conscious’ of my diet means that I’ll generally eat way less processed crap than your average meathead, which can only be a good thing.

I’ll have to get into Tofu a little more though as I guess it’s pretty versatile.

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

yeah, quinoa is a very good plant based source of complete protein but it’s definitely an acquired taste.
    otherwise, yes- legumes. beans and that. as wide a variety of them as you can.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

It’s not all laughter and happy frollicking in commercial fishing either. You should check that out too

Yeah I’ve seen that too. Again I avoid farmed fish, plus fish are ugly and aren’t cute and fluffy like sheep etc ๐Ÿ˜†

Kuco

Think I might have to give quinoa another go.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Quinoa is great, I really like it. I normally use it in a paella in place of rice or just roast a load of diced veg in olive oil then mix the quinoa in.

The protein content is a bit of a red herring though IMO as the carb content totally outweighs it. Kind of the veggie equivalent of eating loads of bacon sarnies “for the protein” ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

I love quinoa but the boss told me that sainburys have stopped stocking it.

Must be hard to give up eggs – two omelettes down this week already after runs.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Not heard that but I buy it from LWFS (local whole foods shop!) anyway. I’ve seen it in Waitrose, Co-Op & also Tesco I think, plus Holland & Barrett. It is pretty popular these days so you should be able to find it easily.

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

Roast tofu and vegetables with some quinoa for supper then? Hopefully the boss left some haloumi to grill as well,

Just the thing after a Swinley soaking????

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

chakaping – Member

IME it’s because they are comparing it to meat

I reckon so- I do a lot of substitutes because of allergy, and for ages I kept comparing things directly- “This doesn’t taste exactly like X, therefore it sucks”, then I stopped that and just started thinking “Is this good in its own right”.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Grilled haloumi… now you’re talking! Yeah I’m definitely going to add that in next time!

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Yes that was my point well done.

You want to have steak rare, not well done.

As for meat substitutes – I really like dried mushrooms. They seem to have a meaty savoury flavour, plus the water you use for rehydration makes a great base for a stock.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Gone veggie for a week….’ is closed to new replies.