Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Gone veggie for a week….
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…been a nice change but need ideas for what to do with the lump of tofu sitting in the fridge. Not a stir fry

cinnamon_girl

Well, I’ve just finished eating home-cooked organic leg of roast lamb, bio-dynamically farmed in Hampshire. Even if I say so myself, it was absolutely delicious. 8)

Give up good quality meat? Never!

porlus
    Free Member

Turn it into a tofu chocolate moose. Or is that mouse haha.

Kuco

Throw it in the bin.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

helpful as ever, STW!

THM, what type of tofu is it? firm, soft, silken? flavoured already at all?

cinnamon_girl

Lol @ Kuco. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

not my favourite food stuff tbh but you can make a sort of scrambled egg type thing

It crumbles fairly easy and just cook with whatever veg you have – I usually use mushrooms [ tomatoes are too liquidy IME], onions pepper , perhaps some courgette Wocester sauce for flavour – NB the real stuff has anchovies

cook veg first add tofu to heat basically

I quite like it fried so it is crunchy ion the outside – cut it sort 2 inch by 1 inch or the middle dries as well and you get crutonsEDIT: you can use any type for my recipe FWIW

The flavoured stuff is much better IMHO

julianwilson
    Free Member

rob81 +1 -my local chinese does that black pepper tofu (but call it salt & spicy beancurd) and it’s well nice.
    Otherwise, I have been veggie for 15 years and never found much else yummy to do with tofu besides various permutations of wet or dry stir fry.
    Bit I might have a go at this soon. 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

I eat veggie (inc fish) probably half the week these days. I hate Tofu and what this teaches you is not to buy any more 🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

Marinate in soy sauce, garlic, black pepper and a drop of sesame oil. Fry until golden brown then chuck it in a stir fry or a salad.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks rob, looks nice but v similar to what I have just cooked.
    Xherb – not sure, it’s cauldron original tofu. Guessing unflavoured and in a sealed lump. I have marinated some quorn as an experiment this week and essentially stir fried it – no recipes just winging it – but need a new idea for the tofu.

It’s only a temporary (at the moment) thing CG in prep for a half Mara in a few weeks. Washing up a meaty pan and looking at all the gunk made me feel like a change for a week or two. So far it’s been delicious and 3lbs down. The later could be the hard intervals yesterday and the 8 miler XC run today though! Still ELMM!!!!

Trouble with this veggie stuff, it looks so good I am not actually doing the EL bit!!!

Looks like another stir fry variation then! I guess the key is the marinade??

bikebouy
    Free Member

I am 99% veggie! every once in a while I eat sausages (I do not want to give them up) but even I would chuck tofu in the bin.

😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

IME, despite the claims, it does not absorb any marinade flavour hence why the flavoured stuff

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?PID=2636&searchterm=tofu&rdcnt=1

or the varieties from here

https://taifun-tofu.de/en/produkte/taifun_tofu_produkte.php?NID1=3&NID2=9&NID3=0&ProdGr=9

Both dearer than cauldron but worth it

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

bio-dynamically farmed

WTF does that even mean? Sounds cruel….. 😉
    I prefer lamb from sheep that have been running around in a (Preferable Welsh) field somewhere.

🙂

bob_summers

It is cruel. Just makes the consumer feel better is all.

tang
    Free Member

I have never eaten meat or fish in all my life & I hate tofu. A friend made some sort of bake with it once which wasn’t too bad.

mattk
    Free Member

Goes well in Thai curry

chakaping
    Free Member

Eating tofu isn’t going to convert you.

Go for actual vegetables instead mate.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

on and off veggie for most of my life but got to agree with the above. chuck it in the bin. my rule is if a labrador wont eat it its not food

nostoc
    Free Member

Miso based soup with ginger and chilli worked in somehow and cubes of plain tofu floating in the middle of the bowl and chopped spring onions on top. You have to appreciate it for its blandness or not at all.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you’re intent on this meat replacement stuff try the Kosher sossies from health food stores. Can’t remember who make them but they’re Ace!
    Also look out for Wicken Fen goodies.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Funny and helpful answers thanks. I lived in Japan in the 80s so not new to tofu. Came in miso soup with pretty much every meal. I quite like it – and really only bought it for the protein. I accept that it’s dull in itself.

Chapaking – eating plenty of vegetables this week!! I am not looking to be converted, just a change for recent meat heavy diet.

dan1980
    Free Member

Wrap in bacon and fry till crispy.

Remove the filling and eat. Red or brown sauce to taste.

Drac

Bumped into a colleague yesterday contemplating buying Tofu steaks for her and husband’s tea, he was off looking at beer, told her to forget about it and buy some proper steaks. Her reply was that it’s healthy was thinking about trying it. I pulled out to the 2 fat sirloin steaks and just bought at the butchers and showed them to her, she put the bean curd back.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Meat eater prefers steak to tofu shocka

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dan 😀 haven’t got that far yet!!!

Drac

Meat eater prefers steak to tofu shocka

Yes that was my point well done.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I eat veggie (inc fish)

So not veggie.

kayak23

The thing I like about being veggie is how my idea of what constitutes a meal has fundamentally changed from how I was bought up. Veggie food for me has been heavily influenced by the explosion we have had in this country from worldwide foods to which it often lends itself naturally.

I’d try to leave out meat-substitutes (chuck it in the bin) and really get into what fantastic stuff is out there from all over the world.

I’ve never found Tofu either tasty or easy to use. We all like easy food now and again though so maybe get some frozen Linda McCartney type stuff to wang in the oven now and again.

Glad you’re seeing the benefits. 🙂

vdubber67
    Free Member

Tofu is nice roasted with a load of vegetables…

bob_summers

Noone has mentioned scrambled tofu? With some nice mushies and lots of paprika. Best if you can get it a wee bit crispy on the bottom.

The ultimate acquired taste is the Chinese fermented tofu… stinks but surprisingly nice if you can get it past your nose.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks – roast it with vegetables! Greta’s idea! Just looked up some recipes. Parsnips, carrots, broccoli and tofu roasted together. Sounds good. Maybe some parmasan on the parsnips!?!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Last time I showed my neighbour my meat in a supermarket, I was arrested.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

in terms of texture, cauldron brand is unlike pretty much any other brand of tofu. and not in a good way sadly.
    but if i absolutely had to eat cauldron again, i think i’d press it to get as much of the liquid out as possible, then crumble it with my hands and make tofu scramble with softened chopped shallots, chopped red pepper, leeks, crushed garlic, a small chunk of fresh turmeric peeled and grated, a few sliced chestnut or small portobello mushrooms, a small red chili finely chopped, a dash of soy sauce and a teaspoon of turmeric powder stirred into it all.

but that’s just me.

i quite like cooking with tofu.

spooky_b329

Agree with the others, you don’t need meat substitutes like Tofu and Quorn to be vegi. Eat it, then don’t buy any more 🙂

bob_summers

Since when was tofu a meat substitute? And quorn is just muck…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As above, the tofu was for protein not a meat sub. Ok, the quorn was. I quite liked it for an easy meal. Not looking for meat subs anyway, the quorn was more of a one off. Reckon I have eaten a lot more protein this week.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

[/quote]Well, I’ve just finished eating home-cooked organic leg of roast lamb, bio-dynamically farmed in Hampshire. Even if I say so myself, it was absolutely delicious.[/quote]

I just ate a chicken. Not a poncy one. No pseudo science. Kitchen-cooked, tray-roasted, chicken-farm-farmed in Phuket. Very tasty.

Back on-topic, chop it up into thin slices ad flour it. Fry it with salt, butter and pepper. Not meat, but not bad.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

As a vegan I confirm that tofu is shit!

Japanese do a good job of it in sushi though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Gone veggie for a week….’ is closed to new replies.