Gone 1×9 and my chain comes off

Home Forum Bike Forum Gone 1×9 and my chain comes off

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Gone 1×9 and my chain comes off
  • clubber

The SSC XCR ones work well (if set up carefully)

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=56

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

longest failed link of the day award there 🙂

one of these will be fine;

Nicknoxx

I know. It was so long I couldn’t find the end, so I edited the post and used a larger (but shorter link) picture. 🙂

CRC have Straitline guides on offer.

Or cheap, then Superstar, as said.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

SS chainring is a major help (and a nice short chain – but careful if it’s FS that you allow for the suspension action)

I had no problems with just that (and a bashring but that wouldn’t stop inwards dropping, of course) on 1×10 this summer holiday (v dry & v bumpy in parts)

Nicknoxx

I can’t understand why the E13 XCX is half the price of the (very similar) XCX-ST

Nicknoxx

I’ve gone 1×9 and am using and old front mech as a chain guide but the chain still comes off on the bumpy stuff.

Should I get a Jump stop and a Bash ring (will a 32T or 34T ring provide better holdonability)?

Or would an all in one device like the E13 XCX-ST or Rohloff guide be better?

or

I don’t want a fully enclosed device and I’d like to keep the weight down.

Thanks

tinsy

Connect the front mech up, attach the rings to the crankset & stop kiding yourself you have any real steps into Nicheness, or improvment over a triple. It isn’t.

Soory for the grumpy response. 😯

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Are u using a ramped ring or a specific one for the job? It does make a difference

tinsy

I had an unramped ring when I first tried it, my record was 13 dropped chains in a 1 hour, rocky, rootfest XC race. You need a device of some kind or it falls off.

I stand by my earlier reccomendation.

jumble

If you are interested, I have a new rohloff guide as pictured above. You can have for £15 + post . It did not fit the oversize tubes on my frame.

Nicknoxx

Jumble – Yes please, I’ve just checked and my frame is 35mm which is the same as the Rohloff device without any reduction sleeves. Let me know how much post is and how you’d like me to pay. email in profile. Thanks

Edit. Can you check yours is 35mm before posting?

Nicknoxx

@tinsy – I’ve always hated front mechs, nasty clunky things, and now there are plenty of cogs at the back it’s safe, for me, to have just one up front. I use Rohloff on my other bike largely for the same reason.

I had an unramped ring when I first tried it, my record was 13 dropped chains in a 1 hour, rocky, rootfest XC race. You need a device of some kind or it falls off.

Have you considered going tubeless by just taking the inner tubes out? Then you could report back on that not working too…

Kato

My 1×9 used to lose its chain al the time. Changed to an unramped chainring and it’s been fine ever since

Nicknoxx

FWIW I’m using an unramped ring already.

Premier Icon philstone
    Subscriber

MRP Lopes guide – I’m using one with an XT middle ring and I’ve never had any drops.

tinsy

Nicknoxx, I can give some other useful advice to you if your adamant on 1X9, dunno what rear mech you have but an SLX shaddow & a med cage one at that, makes a hell of a difference to the noise you get, its the closest you can get a deraliuer to sound like your Rohlhoff or SS.

The SLX has a stronger spring than the rest of the series, med cage just looks neater & is all you need, the shaddow as it doesnt bang on the stay over bumpy stuff.

Another thing I found was that when the chain was new it dropped off less, this wont matter with your new guide, but just something I noticed.

spw3

I went 1×9 on my hard tail and now it’s sorted I like it. But it took a while. All of my development rides were at Cannock.

Standard 32 ramped ring, no device. Fail.
    Unramped ring, no device. Fail.
    Bashring, unramped ring, no device. Fail.
    Bashring, unramped ring, jump stop. Better, still no cigar.
    Bashring, unramped ring, Superstar device. Better, still no cigar.
    Bashring, unramped ring, slim inner ring guard*. Cigar.

Can’t remember the name of this and to make it work I had to bend it so it’s edge ran closer to the chain but it was featured on this site. I’ll have a look when I get home.

Shorten chain to the absolute minimum
    Tension screw on the derailler
    Unramped chainring
    Fit a top-only guide

Not 100% foolproof for XC riding, but probably had fewer chain drops than with a front mech and double/triple.

Nicknoxx

Thanks for all the advice all. As usual some of it is conflicting!

salome33

I went 1 x 9 10 weeks ago, dropping chains all the time.

I the link which clubber put up first, I bought the XCR Single Ring Chainguide – BB MOUNT.

Works a treat if set up nice and snug, only 16 quid and its made of some plastic composite, light as a feather……..a plasic feather

Scamper

Use a n gear jump stop, e thirteen ring and bbg bash and with that relatively cheap set up have not dropped the chain once, even in alps, but was also running a short cage saint mech

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Belt & braces here.

Unramped ring, bashguard and Superstar Plasma guide (upper ‘cage’ and lower roller).

My chain doesn’t come off.

slainte 😳 rob

Nicknoxx

Hey, Jumble there’s no email address in your profile. Mine’s nicknoxx at gmail dot com.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

When I did it E-13 SRS never lost chain.

It just works and looks a damm sight better than strapping an old mech on and messing about with it.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

I don’t want a fully enclosed device and I’d like to keep the weight down.

But you also want the chain to stay on over the “bumpy stuff” right? 😆

This really is the new “what tyres” thread, gets asked at least 4 times a day!

Anyway… The age old adage of “cheap, light, actually works, pick two” never applied more than with chain devices. Everyone wants the moon on a stick these days, but ask yourself this… How many downhillers do you see running top only guides on their bikes…? Pause for thought there!

The reason for that is cos if you want the chain to stay on all the time, no matter what, you need to get a good chain device with a top and bottom guide and it needs to be setup correctly. The number of people, just like tinsy up there, that piss about with a Heath Robinson approach cos they’re too stingy to buy a proper chain device (yet will buy XTR rear mech, carbon bars etc.), and then give up on 1x as a “fad” or “too niche to be any good” because it didn’t work properly for them.

Buy an MRP Lopes SL, G2 Mini, an E13 LG1, a Straitline silent guide, or any other similar device, and you’ll not regret it! They’re not cheap, but they bloody well work!

By all means though, if you’re happy with your chain falling off a few times every ride/race then don’t let me stop you from being cheap…

Stevelol

I’ve never dropped a chain on my hardtail with an unramped ring and a blackspire inner guard plus bash (bashwich!) also have decent results with a stinger and jumpstop on fs, but does occasionally come off on the bumpiest of rides when getting deep into the travel.

epo-aholic

Found the same TBH, even changing to a non-ramped chainring, bashguard and chainguide isn’t a guarantee over the roughest of stuff 🙁

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Yah.. tbh to get perfect results on 1×9 I’d go double guide. With 1×10, a clutch mech seems (so far) to make enough of a difference not to need a lower guide.

My old 1×9 bike had only a top guide, but then it was an xc bike not often asked to do serious rough use, and so I didn’t mind so much if the chain fell off on those occasions.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

I set a bike up 1×10 this morning. Superstar XCR device. The BB mount one seems to do the job better than the seat tube mounted one. Once adjusted its spot on.
    I’m no downhiller though, & I can see it would have its limitations when very bumpy.
    Looks tidier than an old mech.

Can anyone recomend a single ring device that works with a bashguard…?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Hmm, do Superstar not sell one? They definately do a top guide for the Plasma which is designed for bashrings, and I reckon it’d fit on the standard guide.

Nicknoxx

The age old adage of “cheap, light, actually works, pick two” never applied more than with chain devices.

That’s good advice mboy but it does at least suggest I could get light and actually works together which rules out most of the fully enclosed devices.

Still waiting for Jumble to come back to the thread.

Premier Icon breadcrumb
    Subscriber

I’ve been running a SuperStar XCX seat tube mount top guide, unramped ring and a Blackspire Stinger.

Over 200 miles and its been good so far.

Premier Icon Brainflex
    Subscriber

I cannot understand some of the comments on here. Anyone run 3×9? how often do you drop a chain? Why does removing two rings suddenly mean you need a full on chain device?

I’m not sure either… I’ve been using a bashring and jump stop all year with a medium cage X9 mech, unramped Hope chainring and the chain shortened. I haven’t lost the chain yet. Maybe that’s because I’m on a hardtail (no loss of tension under rear sus compression), maybe it’s because I don’t tend to slow down for rough stuff (it’s always smoother with speed, pumping and skimming over the bumps)?

Maybe it’s having relatively short chainstays, so when I’m going fast (and thus in the smaller rear sprockets) the chain angle means that the bashring is acting as both upper and lower guide? Even with longer chainstays a properly positioned bashring and unramped chainring should hang onto the lower chain run pretty well, assuming your mech isn’t overly long, its tension spring too soft or your chain too long.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

That’s good advice mboy but it does at least suggest I could get light and actually works together which rules out most of the fully enclosed devices.

You can get light and actually works… Costs a lot though… MRP Lopes SL or E13 LG1 are your options. Any lighter (ie. top only) is too much of a performance compromise and will drop the chain occasionally if you ask me. Your money though, but you can guarantee I will gloat “I told you so” when you come on here to complain about your top only guide not being sufficient at keeping the chain on all the time.

Chiefgrooveguru, you’re obviously a smooth rider or riding smoother trails than I and many others. I’ll ride my (very similar to yours) HT down DH tracks, and over jumps and don’t ever want the chain to come off there either. My approach to chain devices is that why risk it? I never want to lose my chain, not once, and having tried the top only route (with an unramped ring and a properly short chain) it just didn’t work properly for me…

mboy, did you try the top only route or did you try the top and bash route, which I now suspect is more like a full top and half bottom guide? In terms of what I ride, I ride whatever’s there – been spending more time on the local mini DH tracks recently, am quite keen on rock gardens but don’t ride them often due to my location, certainly didn’t have any issues with the rootier bits at FoD.

I like to think I’m a smooth yet fast rider but it’s hard to judge yourself. I don’t fall off much, if that has any bearing!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Anyone on here using a sandwich guide instead of cage/rollers? My previous bikes haven’t had the clearance for it but just noticed last night I could get away with it on the camber. Never actually used one though, but was considerng tapping up BBG for a pair of superlites…

Your chain shouldn’t come off if you keep your chain short and use a short derailleur.
    However, I would recommend a chainguide for better confidence.

GW

NW – yes, two plate devices (if done well) work better than any other style of guide.

nick1962

Like this? BBGs

Never dropped a chain yet just a pity it’s on a sh8t bike like and El Guapo eh GW? 😉

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Gone 1×9 and my chain comes off’ is closed to new replies.