Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Golfie knowers… Question about Lone Wolf
  • Northwind

OK so… I don’t know if this is a standard opinion, but top of lone wolf, not so good now it’s rutted up. Middle of lone wolf, pretty bloomin good. Bottom of lone wolf from the end of the pumptrack bit, absolutely bloody brilliant. But is there any way to ride the lower sections without having to slog up to the top of the hill? Or alternatively push up from the fireroad?

goodgrief
    Free Member

I don’t think so. I don’t like the top either but it is a little easier to ride now than in the winter.

If you look at the strava satellite image there’s a fire break that goes just to the north of the track but I couldn’t say how passable it is.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Not that I know of, just sack it and do Repeat Offender or 3G 😉
    The top is pretty difficult with the ruts being so deep, if you go past where you would usually drop down the the treeline and just follow the fence that will take you down to the fire break between the top and middle sections.

Northwind

Hmm, was thinking more of ways to avoid the climb rather than the top descent 😉 But not surprised there’s no way to do it, just kind of hoped I’d missed something. I love that final section once it’s down in the gully so I guess I’ll just push up it when I want to do that one.

Chairlift? Helicopter?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

It’s one of the fun things about the Golfy, it’s like extreme circuit training. For every descent there’s 1000ft climbing 🙂
    Were you there today? It was riding surprisingly well considering the amount of rain that’s fallen here in the past few days.

Northwind

Yeah, was really surprised tbh, I was expecting slop. TBH we were kind of on a slop-finding mission and failed! My mate Pete had stuck a downhill dirty dan on, that didn’t work out terribly well.

You weren’t with the group discovering why avalanche is called avalanche by any chance? We saw a few people out but they stuck in the memory 😆

br
    Free Member

That side of the valley is just climb/descend, have you tried Thornielee?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Ran into a couple of folk on the climb up who didn’t know the place so was showing them a few of the trail heads on the way up. About 10:30, was on a foxy?

Northwind

Ah, we were much later, a mega and a hemlock.

@b r- still haven’t been to thornielee, it’s on the list though. How easy is it to navigate?

br
    Free Member

Northwind

Easy tbh, take a look on Strava for the routes or join the BBC 🙂

Park up and ride upwards on the fireroads, taking a right at the T.

Keep on riding, passing the new (stony) fireroad on the left and you’ll see a walkers path sign pointing left. This is the push-up.

50m in and there is a Y, take the right for Ferret and a left for the rest.

Enjoy.

Northwind

Nice one, cheers! I’m bad for just re-riding the trails I already know, it’s usually just races that get me doing anything new so that’s a help!

bigjim

You’d be able to do the top half of new york to the fire road then cut through to lone wolf, but you might need to be the one to make the joining section!

heard lots about thornielee but not tried it either

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I quite like the climb up to Lone Wolf as it’s the only time you go up and do the full climb.

Just did 6000ft at Golfie today and aced much of it inc the wee new line to the bottom. I think the top section of lone wolf is wholly fun and rideable now compared to the first time I rode it. Repeat offender was just bonkers fast given it was dark, my glasses were steamed up and I decided just to let go of the brakes and see what happened as I couldn’t see where I was going anyway. It worked.

Boner, classic, currently my favourite trail. Didn’t get a chance to touch aussie rules or jawbone as the others in the group were exhausted, but I want to try and look at the option of a one-day wonder riding ALL the main lines I have mapped.

I love Thornilee, though not as much choice as Golfie it’s different and could easily take you out if you’re not careful. Looking forward to riding Gregs handiwork up there again soon.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Golfie knowers… Question about Lone Wolf’ is closed to new replies.