Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Golf Mk VI TDi 2 bikes inside?
  • bullroar
    Free Member

Can anyone the above care tell me if it is possible to get two bikes inside the car, bike upright. Either across the back seats or by putting the seats down flat? Bikes are a Cotic BFe (small) with 140 fork and Trek Remedy with Talas fork.

I know the real answer is to get a towball mounted rack but I haven’t got time before going on a Lakes/Scottish road trip at the weekend.

somafunk

Why bother putting them upright?, go to a carpet warehouse or similar place and buy off cuts or samples and lay it on top of the lower bike, i can fit 3 bikes/6 wheels in the back of my Mk2 golf this way but i have removed the rear seats as i don’t carry passengers, i don’t see why you couldn’t do the same with two bikes if you lay your seats down flat.

njee20
    Free Member

As above, two will go in, removing only front wheels if you just lay them on top of each other.

br
    Free Member

My 20″ HT fitted across the backseats of my 5 series with the front wheel out, so surely with both wheels off they’ll easily fit into a Golf.

Or here’s a little Dr Jekyll with both wheels out:

garage-dweller

Not a direct comparison but in mark V you could only do this in the back seat and it was tight.

As said above lay them down front wheels out. To do upright I used to have to remove bars as that + 130 fork was too tall.

bullroar
    Free Member

The problem with laying flat is where do I put all the other kit, for two, that will include a couple of rucksacks and North Face duffle with cycling and climbing kit. I thought upright bikes would be more efficient use of space.

Problem is I don’t have the car to experiment with. Pick it up Friday evening and once done so the dye is cast as it were.

andypaul99
    Free Member

bear in mind a 29er with front wheel off only just fits with the seat down, 2 up possible but only just

njee20
    Free Member

Just stack it all carefully! I can get 2 people plus bikes and all kit for Mayhem, 4 sets of wheels, tyres, Dirtworker etc into a Mk IV.

Flapjack
    Free Member

I have had bikes in the back of every conceivable model of Volkswagen over the last 15 years (I work for a VW dealer) and am pretty sure that I have only ever successfully been able to get bikes upright (with wheels off) in the back of the current Sharan and probably Touran, maybe the Tiguan with the forks compressed. Incidentally, if they won’t go in a MkV they won’t go in a MkVI as they are principally the same car albeit with a facelift – and they sure as hell won’t go in the new MkVII which has a much lower roof line.

bullroar
    Free Member

Thanks all, looks like lay flat is the only option with some karimats between the frame and imagination for the other kit.

I did a week in Wales with 2 bikes and full camping kit in a Ford Ka with bikes flat so should be a p*ss easy in a Golf. I’ve been spoilt over recent years with a Mondeo Estate where these sorts of issues don’t arise.

soobalias
    Free Member

sharing your pain bullroar

ive gone from a galaxy to a mkIV polo. just put the FS in there, not gonna be a lot of space and will require some very careful packing.

stoopid teeny tiny hairdressers car

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Golf Mk VI TDi 2 bikes inside?’ is closed to new replies.