Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Goldilocks Pants
  • kayak23

I’ve been riding for ages now with running style lycra 3/4 ‘pants’ with no padding after going off riding in the horrible big padded monkey bum pants that most cycling shorts are like.
    They’re great for a few hours riding but much more and things get a little sore.

I didn’t like the feeling of too much padding. Too Kardashian.

Having no padding is causing issues too after prolonged rides.

So what do people recommend that’s a sort of Goldilocks pant? Padded, but minimally so.

‘Just right’ as it were.

Extra points for being 3/4 length.
    Last padded undershorts were FDX, cheaper Amazon ones.
    I wear lycra undershorts under regular mtb shorts.

I don’t want no bibs, a bib is a short that can’t get no love from me.

Any ideas? 👊

ElShalimo

Try a better quality padded short?

leffeboy

Sore from too much rubbing or not enough padding? Too much rubbing then use cream, not enough padding then use a better quality short as they are much nicer

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theotherjonv

First question, why did you go off

riding in the horrible big padded monkey bum pants that most cycling shorts are like.

Were they causing issues, is it a style thing (under baggies, who sees them) etc? Just a case of not having found the right pad yet?

The vast majority of distance cyclists whether pro or recreational use shorts with a pad – but I make that distinction because it’s not for padding, it’s for them being seamless and wicking and whatever. I know we’d also argue that millions of Dutch mums and schoolkids don’t kit up specifically and ride bikes every day but that’s why I draw the distinction between ‘sport cycling’ and doing 3km to school.

After that – I guess it’s just a case of going to a shop and looking at a few pairs. In STW style of recommend what you have I get on well with Sundried and also some PX/Carnac ones but they are both bibshorts (don’t rule them out, they do hold a pad in place better) and neither would I say were minimal, but that is personal taste, neither do I find them over padded.

Also – you say 3/4 by preference – harder to find, don’t rule out normal length lycra shorts and a pair of knee warmers – some stuff roadies just get right.

kayak23

Sore from too much rubbing or not enough padding?

Not totally sure. Pics?

I use loads of cream (Muc-off stuff) but just don’t like the feeling of thick padding. Feels like you’re floating around on the saddle too much and not connected to it.

Also – you say 3/4 by preference – harder to find, don’t rule out normal length lycra shorts and a pair of knee warmers – some stuff roadies just get right.

Although deeply uncool, I actually wear some minimal D30 kneepads which I put under the 3/4s which keeps them in place nicely.

BadlyWiredDog

DHB does a padded liner short that gets reviewed as having a thin pad. I’ve never used them, but DHB’s regular lycra cycling shorts are good balance of performance v cost.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-padded-liner-shorts

Also, ime, chamois cream is horrible stuff. The dry-type options are much nicer and more effective ymmv.

sandboy

Dhb at Wiggle used to do a lightly padded boxer type shorts which I would wear under normal shorts for my commute. No idea if they still do but could be just what you are after.
    Edit, sorry, just looked and “product no longer available.

leffeboy

Fwiw I have some Craft non bib Lycra shorts with padding that I wear under my loose shorts. Padding doesn’t feel to bulky and I think they have several thicknesses available

Rubber_Buccaneer

So what do people recommend that’s a sort of Goldilocks pant? Padded, but minimally so.

‘Just right’ as it were.

Extra points for being 3/4 length.

https://7mesh.com/foundation-padded-bike-boxer-brief-sale

But I won’t be getting extra points

scotroutes

Try Tri shorts. Padded, but not as thick as standard riding shorts  Not (AFAIK) available in 3/4 length though.

ajantom

Crc had some Altura lightweight shorts on n sale that come with a lightweight, short, padded liner. More like padded boxer shorts.

They’re very comfy and nicely minimal. Size up on them though. I’m a 35/36″ waist and went up to the XLs which were spot on.

These ones:
    Altura Allroad shorts

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.