Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gold.and bronze in the Olympics
  • Premier Icon jedi
    Free Member

Charlotte and declan in freestyle bmx. Amazing. I was punching the air with tears in my eyes

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

Yup

Almost enough to tempt me into dragging my BMX out of the shed ūü§£

Premier Icon kelvin

Change the thread title bro!

Avoided opening the Olympics thread as sitting down to watch now… harder to not read thread titles.

Premier Icon db

Amazing, now what we need is a legacy of new tracks and parks for the next generation to learn on. Not making this political just saying these are people I want my grandchildren to aspire to emulate, not some insta influencers!

Premier Icon olddog

Charlotte absolutely went for it. Go big or go home attitude ‚Äď stack the trick that‚Äôs never been done in comp in the first run but still go for it on 2nd run rather than dial back for a silver or bronze.

Truly awesome

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Amazing, now what we need is a legacy of new tracks and parks for the next generation to learn on.

Yep, a lot should be made of this as it was 2 out of 2 for female BMX in racing and freestyle.
    I wasn’t aware GB had such a good chance and as the funding was pulled from Bethany and she had to crowd fund £50K I guess Britsh Cycling didn’t think so either!

Still have Park to go so not sure about that one.

Premier Icon martinhutch

Charlotte absolutely went for it.

Going for that front flip after nailing the big one took some serious guts. Those last two tricks had me punching the air.

Premier Icon fasthaggis

Going for that front flip after nailing the big one took some serious guts.

Yup,what an awesome set
    Charlotte is one cool cookie,her name should be added to that thread on the other page ‚Äď>>. ūüėČ

Premier Icon theotherjonv

I wasn’t aware GB had such a good chance and as the funding was pulled from Bethany and she had to crowd fund £50K I guess Britsh Cycling didn’t think so either!

You might want to check your targets before pulling the trigger.

UK Sport pulled their funding of the women‚Äôs BMX program, broadly this is the ‚Äėsalary‚Äô that enables athletes to train because it replaces (some of) the need to work to live, it can also eg help with competition entry and travel, etc. She needed to crowdfund to replace that.

BC continued to support her with kit, track time, etc and she has been very quick to praise their support.

You might want to read up, 4F’s and all that.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

You might want to check your targets before pulling the trigger.

Not really. As you say yourself, they did pull most of the funding and she had to crowd fund money to continue so what I say was correct wasn’t it?

Anyway, the point was that pulling funding from a sport where GB won Gold was probably not a good idea in hindsight was it?

No. UK Sport pulled the funding, not British Cycling. Two different bodies.

She has been quick to praise BC for their continued support.

Both Whyte and Shriever are under the British Cycling umbrella, but their journey to Tokyo 2020 was by no means simple. BMX had its funding cut by UK Sport and Shriever had to crowdfund her way to Olympic qualifiers.

British Cycling saw their potential and stepped in with funding and facilities, but Shriever said if it wasn’t for family support, she would have had to throw in the towel.

‚ÄúI had to rely on Mum and Dad,‚ÄĚ she said. ‚ÄúThe Olympics were fast approaching and I had to get to World Cup races and get some good results. So that is why I started the crowdfunding.

“My results opened up a load of eyes and Sparky [performance director Stephen Park] made me a full-time cyclist. I was able to use the amazing facilities.

“It was harder when I wasn’t full-time training. My effort wasn’t as much as it was when I was full-time, but when you are funded it is plain sailing. Well, not plain sailing but easier than when I wasn’t [funded].

vs your post

I got particularly annoyed because when she won her gold BC ran some celebratory messages on their FB and took absolute pelters for it by people that didn’t actually understand what had happened.

the point was that pulling funding from a sport where GB won Gold was probably not a good idea in hindsight was it?

I don’t disagree with that but the point actually is that you blamed BC when it was UK Sport.

4F’s.

https://news.sky.com/story/tokyo-olympics-lottery-money-and-the-medal-dream-how-team-gb-is-funded-12367961

It‚Äôs not even a cut in funding that made it difficult for BC to fund women‚Äôs BMX ‚Äď UK Sport stipulate what you can AND CAN‚ÄôT use their money for.

Premier Icon oikeith

Loved watching Charlotte smash that second run, also inject the images of the American watching her smash her second run into my veins…

Quite enjoyed the mens too, it wasnt as flippy-whippy as I thought it would be and was a good watch, I still harbour a deep Martmite dislike towards Daniel Dhers which hasnt gone in nearly 20 years of watching him compete and if anything has grown since he bumped Declan into bronze, although his ally oop 360 whip(s) over the spine gap was impressive.

I hope this gives BMX a kick again, its such an accessible sport with so many more places across the country to race, ride park or ride trails.

Now if only that concrete skatepark company which has been littering the SW with tiny awful parks would build a park with ramps taller then 3ft!

Premier Icon kayla1

Well… that got dusty didn’t it? Awesome doesn’t even begin to get close to that second run from Charlotte.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

Saw the result last night but just watched the run, absolutely smashed it!

Never mind parks, the competition organisers need a serious kick up the arse. FIS and the like need to stop offering insultingly low prize money, IIRC she won last year or the year before and the money for first place wasnt a fraction of third place male.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.