Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Going up to 11
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Just before I do, does all this work together?

And I take it the band on shifter is just one that is standalone as opposed to the ispec stuff(I want stand alone)

Just checking before I click buy, so any thoughts appreciated, I’m sure it will But just double checking.

andy4d

Looks fine to me, i presume they include the cables (they usually do) and your cranks are ok?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

dirkpitt74

Yeah all looks good 👍

malv173
    Free Member

Pretty much the same as I have. I went for a sun race cassette. The band on is the stand alone version, and the shifter comes with a cable plus outer. Or the mech does. Oh, and the mech uses 2mm Allen key bolts instead of the jis screws of previous incarnations of shimano mechs. Adjusting is a joy!

slackboy

+ 1 for the MX8 sunrace cassette. Usefully cheaper than XT and with a better spread of gear ratios. Id get that and spend the difference upgrading the shifter to XTR!

vincienup
    Free Member

That’s all going to work fine, but there are better options – leaving ‘which big S’ partisanship out altogether.

Fundamental question; have you gamed your real world gear usage on a gear calculator or are you just buying the biggest Shimano cassette and hoping? 1×11 is unforgiving of getting the ratios wrong. You should also make sure that whatever chainring you plan to use will actually fit your bike. If you’re going much bigger than 36 (or an oval 34) then you may be in trouble – and trying to make a too-many-low-gears-not-enough-top cassette work this is a real possibility.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cheers all aye all should be fine. Front is narrow wide on there anyhow that should take 11.

Shouldn’t be a great deal of difference for me, running 36 and 1×9 11×34 the now. So the idea is just to have the 2 lower gears for silly steep stuff! So all should be fine.

I did forget cables tbh! Hopefully they do come with them! 😆 but I can grab them easy enough.

Just went ahead and purchased anyhow. Should be here tomorrow. 🙂

andytherocketeer

Thought they normally come with inner cable, but not outer and no cable ends etc.

seosamh77
    Free Member

All good! great to have a fresh drive train, I’ll have it stinking in a few weeks though! 😆

honourablegeorge

Shimano shifters always include outer and ferrules, if you they’re proper boxed product.

patagonian
    Free Member

^This. Mine arrived this morning and had everything in the box.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye, came with everything.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Going up to 11’ is closed to new replies.