Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • going tubeless newby questions…
  • granny_ring

I bought some second hand wheels off here a while ago and they’re set up tubeless. As they’ve been stored for months they were more or less flat today.
    Pumped them up but both were leaking air so I need to put more goo in.
    Is it just a case of prising off a bit of tyre, chuck stuff in then pop it back on?
    Seem to remember having read about using soapy water when putting complete tyre on? Do I need to do that for a small section of tyre?
    Sorry dumb questions but there you go!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Yes just pop a bit of Tyre away from the rim and pour in. You can also remove the valves to apply if yours allow it, but with easing a little of the tyre away, you should see the condition of the sealant. I’m sure others will offer better advice than me!

Dont forget to give it a good twist, flip, and shake after.

cp

You can tell if there’s sealant in there as it’ll slosh around if you shake the wheel after it’s been still for a few seconds.

I just remove valve core (most tubeless valves have a removable core) and use small syringe or squeezy bottle to put more in. Then you don’t have to ‘risk’ breaking the bead.

After you put more in, inflate and shake the wheel round to spread the sealant. Then put it on the bike and go for a short ride to make sure its had a chance to slosh around and fill any holes.

EDIT – I have about 100ml in 29×2.2 tyres

granny_ring

Ok cheers guys, there is sealant in there just not sure how much.
    They’re 27.5 x 2.25 tyres so how much sealant shall I put in?

PrinceJohn

Some?

If your buy orange seal it comes with a little dipstick to poke through the valve to see how much is in there.

granny_ring

Found a big bottle of Stans in the shed earlier, I’ll have a read up of the instructions tomorrow, looks like there’s a scoop and bottle top nozzle.

nickdavies

To be fair I’d pump them up and give them a quick ride. They always go flat after a few months. No bad thing to chuck an extra scoop of jizz in though. Remove the valve core and add it via that if possible, save breaking the bead.

granny_ring

I could hear air escaping from the rear around the rim, the front isn’t as bad and has deflated a little.

hols2
    Free Member

I could hear air escaping from the rear around the rim

The tyre or you?

granny_ring

lol

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

More sealant required? Give it a real good shake when in the wheel or ride around the block. Drop some soapy water around the wheel rim to see if bubbles appear to confirm where it is leaking? Might be the rim tape? Remove tyre and re-tape with Gorilla or similar and try again? Duff tyre?

crashrash

A syringe is easy – depending where you are a pharmacy or farm shop (sheep syringes best) at about 30 mls is a good bet (it fits easy with the rotor) and I reckon you need about 60-75mls. I got one from the farm shop for 20p!

granny_ring

Done 2 scoops in each tyre, think there is still a small leak in the rear. Couldn’t see any leaks on the rims with soapy water.
    If it’s flat then I’ll dumk it in the yellow bucket tomorrow.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

@Granny could it be the valve collar or valve that may be leaking slightly? Tighten the collar on the valve a bit more?

granny_ring

Ta I’ll have a look.

granny_ring

Bit of an update.
    Still losing air so wondered if it’s from the rim tape as no bubbles from valve or tyre seat?
    If I can get the tyres off…..what tape is best with carbon rims, stans or gorilla tape.

nickfrog
    Free Member

TESA 4289 is my favourite – around £10 for a massive roll that will do 30 rims. Doesn’t leave any residue when swapping. Ebay.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/162354590164?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=46395905027&rlsatarget=pla-327107311414&abcId=1129006&adtype=pla&merchantid=114987193&poi=&googleloc=1007259&device=c&campaignid=862328541&crdt=0

Gorilla leaves a mess and is not particularly better.

granny_ring

Ok just ordered thanks

submarined
    Free Member

I bought a roll of Tess to do my rims ‘properly’. After 3 attempts of trying to get it to conform and stick, I threw it into the corner and went back to using Gorilla tape, which went on beautifully first time.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I have never failed to stick TESA 4289 to a rim and I have done plenty of them. It takes probably less than 2 minutes and works every time.

granny_ring

1 or 2 wraps of the TESA or gorilla tape is that doesn’t work?

nickfrog
    Free Member

To apply the TESA tape properly, you just need to keep the tension going by pulling the roll away from the rim at all times. It a knack that takes one application to get but once you’ve done that just remove it and start again if unsure and your second application will be perfect (no need for more than 1 wrap).

And that’s the beauty with TESA, no residue, unlike Gorilla which is a faff to remove.

Your second wheel will take you 1 minute.

granny_ring

Ok ta.

granny_ring

Gave up with the Tesa tape as I was struggling with it getting adhesion on the carbon rim. Was up against time and ended up using Gorilla tape which went on ok.
    It was probably user error but the plasticy property of the tape made it harder to use.
    I will try again on another set of wheels when I have more time to spare!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘going tubeless newby questions…’ is closed to new replies.