Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Going tubeless
  • gribble
    Free Member

I have a mix of Maxxis and Panaracer tyres and I would like to look at going tubeless.

Bike is a Trance X with flow rims, tyres I have (that are not summer dry or winter mud specific) are:

Maxxis Ignitor 2.1
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25
    Panaracer CG All Conditions 2.35 (unused pair, believe they are UST)

I am currently running High Roller 2 front (2.4) and High Roller original 2.35 rear. Feels a bit draggy, but High Roller 2 is very confidence inspiring.

If I want to go tubeless/have a slightly better climbing rear tyre, would I be better to try with panaracer 2.35 UST? Would an ardent climb better than a high roller (old style)? I thought the High Roller would be better on the rear than the crossmark 2.25 I had on all summer, but it isn’t much grippier going up hill.

gribble
    Free Member

Had meant to ask, would I need the following kit to make the bike ready for tubeless:

Stan’s Kit on CRC

Scapegoat

No, you don’t need the kit with rims strips if you have flow rims. You need to use stans or superstar components yellow tape, superstar components tubeless valves ( half the price of stans and evey bit as good) and stans sealant. Its cheapest to buy the sealant in half pint or pint bottles, nd you’ll need some spare.

Go search for the fitting videos on Stans website and follow them to the letter.

deadkenny
    Free Member

No real need for UST tyres with Flow rims. They’re designed to work with non-tubeless & tubeless ready tyres rather than being a full UST design. UST tyres are heavier and these days with good sealant you can run many regular tyres tubeless. Maxxis tyres seem to work particularly well tubeless even if not tubeless ready or UST.

As for tyres, HR2 as you say is draggy, but it grips well. I use it at the rear. Climbs just fine on roots and rocks. Drags on flat, smooth climbs and tarmac though, but as you say it provides confidence with the grip. HR does roll better, but a little more sketchy in the loose I find. Up front I prefer a Minion.

Ardent rolls well, but less grip on loose, crud and mud. It’s like a less knobbly HR really. I use it on my hard tail which gets a little more XC-ish riding or rather a little less of the weekend warrior style stuff. Lets me keep up with some of the speedy guys 😀

Ignitor is best left for groomed smooth fast dry trails in my opinion.

No idea about Panaracer. Never used them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Going tubeless’ is closed to new replies.