Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Going to the shop, walk or drive?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We live literally 500 yrds from Morrisons & today my missus decides she’s (we) are driving round because ‘It’s cold & I’ve just walked 2 miles with the dog’, so she (we) drive round there & end up parking about 500 yrds from the entrance, in the opposite direction to our house!
    Then we spent £8.00.

Anyone else have a wife with a similar logic?

Stoner
    Free Member

Anyone else have a wife with a similar logic

not for long.

chakaping
    Free Member

Some of the neighbours do this.

In fact I never see anyone else apart from the OAPs who don’t drive walking back with their shopping.

geoffj

😯 @ GW

br
    Free Member

does she also drive to the (very) local gym – my misses did…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

does she also drive to the (very) local gym – my misses did…

The what? Don’t think she’s ever even set foot in a gym!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

why did you have to go?

matt_outandabout

You gotta love the gym/pool attendees who don’t like walking too far across the car park…. 😉

Pieface

Most of the people on my street do this and Morrison’s is pretty much at the bottom of the street.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The headmaster of my kids primary school lives 100m from it. He drives there each day. On ‘Walk to School’ week he announced to the kids that he was going to set an example and walk to school on the Monday. At this time of year you see him spend 5-10 minutes defrosting his car for a 20 second drive. Baffling.

(It really is only 100m, my oldest kid measured it on the OS map).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

woman at work drives ACROSS the road!! literally across the rd ffs!

Junkyard
    Free Member

my neighbour once drove to playgroup with her kids as i walking there with mine. When I got back from dropping them off she pulled back into her drive as that was the closest parking space and they were all still in the car 😯

nealglover
    Free Member

I love walking, been out for 3 hours today for no other reason than going for a walk.
    Our nearest shop is 2.5 miles round trip and we walk it most of the time (unless we are getting loads of stuff)

Although we do drive 75 ish miles a day (each) commuting, so maybe it’s a guilty conscience 😳

SaxonRider

[sanctimonious]If I might show off a bit: my wife walks everywhere, including to take the younger kids to school and pick them up (1.1 mile each way) every day, as well as to do most of the shopping. I don’t think it would dawn on her to drive.

Indeed, we can park the van on our street, and other than to take our daughter to ballet once per week, it will not move.[/sanctimonious]

emma82
    Free Member

I hate taking the car, hate it. Much rather walk

I drive to the gym.

iDave
    Free Member

I walk half a mile to Morrisons but keep going a further 300 yards to the co-op. Sometimes I buy something.

_tom_
    Free Member

Disappointed GWs comment got removed, it was brilliant 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Disappointed GWs comment got removed, it was brilliant

Never even saw it! what was it?? (along the lines of)

thegreatape
    Free Member

It related to the stereotypical view that women aren’t very good at estimating length and will believe whatever a man tells them in all matters distance related.

Your willy

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Excellent! All now becomes apparent! 😀

teasel
    Free Member

Some sad examples of laziness on here. I couldn’t live with someone so bloody selfish to be honest…

brakes
    Free Member

I do a 1.5 mile round trip to the supermarket – I’ll walk if I’m getting a lot and cycle if I’m not getting much.
    I need one of those trailer thingys.
    I don’t have a car.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I couldn’t live with someone so bloody selfish to be honest…

She’s actually anything but selfish, just that sometimes she doesn’t want to walk round. I usually walk unless I’m lugging loads back or it’s pishin down.

‘I can’t live with you anymore cos you drive to the shop’ grounds for divorce that is. 😉

teasel
    Free Member

🙂

No, indeed it isn’t. I would just nag her until she stopped – equality and all that…

wors

i bet the ones who drive the short distances to the shops are the ones who moan about the cost of fuel too.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Oh dear – I drove to the supermarket this morning, only about 1.5 miles, but I did need a lot of stuff. I reckon I’ve made up for it this afternoon by cycling the longer (7.5 miles each way) route to the office to pick up paperwork for next week.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Naa, she hasn’t a clue what fuel costs. If it was £10.99 a litre she’d wouldn’t realise.
    She doesn’t drive every time you know, it was just the fact that we parked nearly as far as the walk from home that got me.
    Another thing she does is, she’ll put some veg on to boil, on turbo & leave the lid off!
    Absolutely no idea about saving the planet.

andy7t2
    Free Member

joeegg
    Free Member

My wife won’t walk anywhere.Its got to be the car everytime,everywhere.
    I think its an excuse to go shopping as if she goes to the doctors down the road the car comes back full of assorted carrier bags containing stuff we don’t need.
    I was working away and took the car for a week and within a couple of days she had a hire car delivered and was out every day in it spending a fortune on petrol.
    She sees the car as something that someone else pays for and maintains and cleans.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Going to the shop, walk or drive?’ is closed to new replies.