Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Going to Poland in a few weeks, what's it like?
  • wolly
    Free Member

Food, beer things to see?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Empty 😀

patriotpro
    Free Member

Full of Poles

molgrips
    Free Member

Fantastic, according to Polish people 🙂

It has lovely white sandy beaches apparently but the thing I’d most like to see is Bialowieza National Park. It’s the only place you can see pristine Western European wilderness – the closest you’ll ever get to seeing what stone age Britain was like.

nickjb
    Free Member

Its quite big. Which bit are you going to?

wolly
    Free Member

We’re staying in krakow

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Krakow nice from memory of day trip… something about a trumpet lament in a tower by the town square.

Worth a daytrip from there to Oswiecim to see first hand.

fenred
    Free Member

Could you bring me back some kabanos please?
    Ta!

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

I went a few years ago on a work trip, stayed in krakow it was brilliant, great city loads to do and see, great food for a pittance and very nice people. Also went to Warsaw which was a great experience.

I went about 10 years ago, may have changed a bit by now but at the time the food was almost all organic and the buffalo grass vodka was about 12p a shot!!!

Can get **** freezing though

Cheers
    Nick

darrell
    Free Member

Krakow has lots of dodgy pubs and clubs. A bit like most of the UK but cheaper

jools182
    Free Member

Went to Warsaw last November

Loved the place. It was cold and a bit foggy but very atmospheric

Lovely looking city, people are nice, food is reasonably priced

I’d go back definitely

br
    Free Member

Last time I went the ‘Wall’ had just come down, probably changed a bit since then…

Dickyboy

Niece & brother in law just come back a week or so ago – err big food portions & lots of meat was the general feeling on the food side of things, bil doesn’t drink so can’t comment on that

konabunny
    Free Member

Krakow is great.

Worth a daytrip from there to Oswiecim to see first hand.

Don’t go drinking heavily the night before so that you’re walking around a death camp with a Defcon 1 hangover.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Wieliczka Salt Mine. And Auswitch. And Vodka. And locals. And general all round nice place to visit. Apart from the food- if my missus’ memory serves.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g277819-d284943-Reviews-Wieliczka_Salt_Mine-Wieliczka_Lesser_Poland_Province_Southern_Poland.html

spud-face

Krakow is ace! I was there for a couple of days last month, planning on going back at some point to finish off the bits i missed. The salt mine is impressive (quite dear though, but can’t remember quite how much). We did a bike tour of the city that was frankly a bit shit, as it got too bogged down with the stop-start. Much better to hire bikes and get yourself a map – hooning along the side of the river in the blazing sun was great (probly a bit nippier now though). There’s a basement jazz club in one of the main squares that’s worth going to, it was a welcome alternative to the myriad pub crawls that set off from the main square; great music, decor and the most wildly extravagant barman i’ve ever seen – even ordering a glass of tapwater got the full cocktail flip/crush/spin/ignite treatment.

It’s not that cheap, but cheap enough (restaurant meal, 4/5 pints and entry to the club was about £25) considering it’s a city centre. no doubt you can do cheaper by exploring a bit.

The radio krakow studios had a gig on in their courtyard while we were passing – weird folky kate bush-y type thing (this is a good thing) that was presumably free, as no-one stopped us wandering in to watch – no idea whether that’s a regular occurrence, but worth checking.

razorrazoo

Krakow is great, been twice. Take a walk up to the Wawel ( the big castle thing). Loads of interesting churches and things you can drop into if you walk round the city. Also has the largest city square in Europe iirc. Lots of cellar bars. Genuinely the cheapest European city I have been to.

Cougar

I’ve been to Krakow. I’ve never seen so many beautiful ladies in my life.

Top tip, “Zywiec” beer is pronounced “chuh-vee-eck”, and “nasdrovia” (pronounced like that but spelt very differently I expect) is ‘cheers’.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Krakow is great been a few times, good night out 😉

Some surprising excellent clubs and the underground vaulted bars.

restless
    Free Member

I’m going to Krakow on Tuesday.

Just wondering what to pack, whether wise is it like here?

Marge
    Free Member

Was just typical autumn weather 2 wks ago…

Back to Polkowice tomorrow for a quick work trip.

singlespeedstu

I have no idea what it’s like now but when i went in 89 it was kind of like the wild west crosed with poundland.

RichPenny
    Free Member

From Krakow I would take the train or a polski bus (google it) to Zakopane to see the tatra mountains. Take a horse drawn carriage to Morskie Oko otherwise you’ll have a long hike. Maybe visit one of the hot spas over the border. We hired a wood cabin for about £10 a night, but my wife is polish so found a good deal. Drink the honey liqueur they make in the mountains. Do not eat flacki!

We also visited the salt mine and wawel castle, both very interesting. Saw a Chopin recital in one of the grand houses on the main square, that again felt like a special experience.

Molgrips, I have been to bialowieza as that’s the region my wife is from. It is a truly beautiful place.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

+1 to the Tatra mountains, made my way from Katowice to Poprad in 2004 to stay in a tiny place called “Stary Smokovec” was great!

aP
    Free Member

I’m assuming that Nowa Huta has closed, tasting metal in the air when I was there in 90 was quite odd. My old girlfriend was instrumental in the repopulation of Kaziemierz in the mid/ late 90s.

aP
    Free Member

(Double post)

RichPenny
    Free Member

This is burnt caramel vodka. It is pretty tasty 🙂

dandax1990
    Free Member

A bit like Bradford I think…

Squidlord
    Free Member

Warsaw…Lovely looking city

Really? I think it’s one of the ugliest places I’ve ever been to. I’ve not seen the (reconstructed) old town though, I admit.

Poor Warsaw – blown up by Nazis, rebuilt by Communists. The place never had a chance.

Krakow on the other hand is lovely.

Flaperon

Warsaw airport closed a few days ago and terminal evacuated due to wild boar loose on runway. Tells you all you need to know…

Kunstler

I’m going to Krakow on Tuesday.

Just wondering what to pack, whether wise is it like here?

I was with some one today who was over there in what she called a heatwave (well, 20 deg C) last week. It’s usually full on winter by now.

We cycled passed a house where Chopin had stayed (I think). It seems in Polish his name is pronounced ‘shoppin’. Free fact.

JCL
    Free Member

Warsaw airport closed a few days ago and terminal evacuated due to wild boar loose on runway. Tells you all you need to know…

No doubt it was hunted and euthanized with car and sink.

footflaps

Loads to see in Krakow:

Flowers outside every bar

Main square by brf, on Flickr

Auschwitz is definitely worth a visit

Dual, double sided electric fences

Double electric fence by brf, on Flickr

Pigface
    Free Member

A small town near the German border was awful, like being in a zoo and we were the exhibits, two very unpleasant incidents. The rest of the place was great, Tatra mountains, Warsaw, Krakow all nice, the driving is insane and seeing naked hookers on the side of the road was an eye opener.

Preferred the Lit, Lat and Estonia.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I know a UK chap who married a polish girl. He finds it hard to communicate with her family due to language (they have only been married a couple of years), but the family are very friendly and welcoming to him, as are all the people he has met there.

He loves going to visit. He told me winter is particularly good as you get to walk along beaches looking at frozen sea then get to head into a nice food place or bar for a warm up.

I can remember him commenting that the older buildings are very nice in the cities too. He thought it was a lovely country, with super people.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Going to Poland in a few weeks, what's it like?’ is closed to new replies.