Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Going to Peru-Should I fix my bike even though it isn't broken?
  • kayak23

Off to Peru in July to do some bicycle riding and have started to get paranoid about stuff breaking out there that I won’t be able to fix……probably.

Got a steel hardtail with Pike forks, Deore brakes, Superstar wheels, SLX double and bash, Sram mech and shifters.

The SLX bash has Torx bolts. I’m thinking of changing them to Allen heads as I don’t want to carry more than what’s on my multitool.
    I guess I can take spare cables and such like but need to keep the luggage down.

I’m thinking of bleeding the brakes and doing a fork lower service, changing the seals etc. Thing is, there’s nowt wrong with them… Leave them alone or get it all working sweet now?

br
    Free Member

I’m thinking of changing them to Allen heads as I don’t want to carry more than what’s on my multitool.

or add a torx bit?

For the rest, make sure its 100%.

househusband

May I suggest adding some spokes to your spares list.

kayak23

What about wheel bearings? Nothing whatsoever wrong with them. Been fine for the six months I’ve had them… Change or leave? 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Take a spare bike? 😀

kayak23

Good plan. I’ll train a llama to carry it behind… 🙂

jam-bo

I wouldn’t go down the local woods with anything badged by superstar, let alone the other side of the world.

kayak23

Well, you say that, but I’ve used their stuff for years and had no more issues than with any other brand…but anyway, I take your experience on board 🙂

kimbers

There are bike shops in Peru but big mountains your brakes will be tested out there way beyond most UK riding fresh clean fluid now will prevent you finding out you needed a bleed half way down a descent, you could Alessia get a reputable bike shop to do you first

polo
    Free Member

There are plenty of bike shops in Peru…I live there…PM me in case you need more info

kayak23

Cheers polo. Riding from Cusco into Bolivia, and so will be moving a lot and more remote and away from towns I was thinking?
    Can’t wait 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Going to Peru-Should I fix my bike even though it isn't broken?’ is closed to new replies.