Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Going to attempt Windows 8 install in a VM
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Using Virtualbox (seems nice) and an external USB3.0 drive. I’ll let you know how I get on.

allthepies
    Free Member

Did it a month or so back, piece of proverbial. Don’t think I’ve fired it up since however 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Windows 8 looks quite nice, and seems a good mix of new features, UI and design, along with retaining the good bits from Win7. It might not click exactly, but good they are trying something different.

Whereas Mountain Lion, when I had a look at the dev preview, just looks like Lion with the bits I don’t like from iOS crowbarred in.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m mainly doing it cos I want to run my own software on my work PC, and Windows 8 preview is free 🙂

In a nice change from usual, I can download it at between 300 and 500KB/s at the hotel whilst watching iPlayer..

Rio

The latest set of Windows updates killed my Windows 8 VM. I haven’t dug into exactly which update causes the problem or why but if you want to allow it to update I’d recommend cloning the VM first just in case.

molgrips
    Free Member

Will do, ta.

Does cloning mess up software installed on it?

Rio

Does cloning mess up software installed on it?

I seem to recall (it’s not in front of me, doing this from a different machine) that you can either clone the whole machine, virtual disc and all, or you can just clone the VM using the same virtual disc as the original. I’ve only done the former and it doesn’t mess up software installs, it creates a complete copy of the machine state so you can use it to roll back to a known working state.

molgrips
    Free Member

Spiffing.

My download was ‘interrupted’ after about 2.5GB.. so I’m going to bed 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, that was easy.

This is the first time I’ve used a VM though, and it’s a bit slow. Screen updating is a bit naff. I can’t imagine this is going to be any good for games although folk online have said they have played some 3d FPS games.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Going to attempt Windows 8 install in a VM’ is closed to new replies.