Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Going Native _ Moving To USA
  • JCornford

Obviously I will still frequent Singletrack, but with my impending move to America, I thought I would pick your brains to see if you guys could recommend any bike mags and websites from over the sea (as additional reading obviously).

Jamie
    Free Member

I might be wrong, but fairly sure UK websites are available in the USA 😉

Anyway, crap jokes that don’t really work aside. We talking for road riding, or MTB?

JCornford

Ha ha ha, I was waiting for that one! Both, road and mtb.

Furrner
    Free Member

The magazines suck over here, I haven’t bought one for many years.

I frequent STW more than any of the US based websites. I used to be active on MTBR and roadbikereview but they have both grown into such huge entities now that the “community feeling” is no longer there. You will find a most of the local cycling clubs have their own website and forums or Facebook page.

Where are you moving to?

TooTall
    Free Member

Yup. This is such a damned big place that you end up finding your local / regional resources and existing a lot within them. I use MTBR a bit, but mostly for Clyde-related info and occasional reviews of stuff.
    You can’t give STW up. The British idea of camaraderie (abuse, name-calling etc) doesn’t exist in mainstream USA.

JCornford

Cheers for that guys, I will be moving to Columbus.

Furrner
    Free Member

Columbus OH, Columbus GA, Columbus IN, Columbus NC……..?

Jamie
    Free Member

…there is a few. I think the OP might need a few minutes to comprehend the scale of the place 😀

busydog
    Free Member

I think STW is much better than any of the biking websites we have in the USA (that I am aware of). As Furrner said above, MTBR has gotten too massive and doesn’t have the “personality” of STW. In addition to a lot of good biking info, I find STW thoroughly entertaining and it has more of a “personal” feel to it.
    Local clubs and bike shops will be one of the best sources of info for a given city/area.

TooTall
    Free Member

Well I’m in Richmond VA (UCI Road World Champs 2015 are here) and we’ve got some of the best city centre trails in the country and we’re working towards IMBA Trail Center status.
    We’ve got some Grade IV rapids in the city centre as well if that floats your boat/tube/SUP. If you’re passing nearby, say hello!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Velo magazine is good for road stuff. Will buy an online version every now and again.

sweaman2
    Free Member

You can’t give STW up. The British idea of camaraderie (abuse, name-calling etc) doesn’t exist in mainstream USA

Plus 1

I’m in Canada but have lost one friend who is American and completely failed to get a joke on email.

JensonUSA have so far proved reliable for online shopping; range of products isn’t as big as CRC though.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’m from near Pittsburgh, PA myself and go onto stw daily. Why? Because the scale of the forun is manageable. I can scroll through a few pages every day, and click on the threads that interest me.

I go on Pinkbike daily, too. MTBR is great, but only if you follow one or two of the millions of subforums. Even the NSA can’t monitor the whole thing!

As far as a bike mag, maybe look at Dirt Rag. Like st, a small independent zine. I don’t do road…

mlbasiliere
    Free Member

Haven’t done much riding in Columbus (assuming OH) area, but Dayton/Yellow Springs has some fun stuff and Pennsylvania is chock full of good riding.

Mag-wise, I’d suggest Mountain Flyer and Bike, as they’re best at Singletrack-style big ride inspiration. Bike can be a bit rad for my tastes- but still worth a read.

JCornford

What’s the plural for Columbus? Columbi? I didn’t realise there were so many, but I do know how big and vast America is.

It’s Columbus, Ohio I am moving to.

Thanks guys, i’ll check those out, I may have to drive down to Richmond to chekc out the Road World Champs as well.

vondally
    Free Member

OP…are you a Zombieland fan….that is thelast place I heard colombus ohio

JCornford

Ha ha ha Vondally, I will have to check that out.

mamadirt
    Free Member

pulls up a front porch swing 😆

TooTall – Member

Well I’m in Richmond VA (UCI Road World Champs 2015 are here) and we’ve got some of the best city centre trails in the country and we’re working towards IMBA Trail Center status.

Loving the sound of that – visited VA several times but mainly taking in the more western Charlottesville, Lexington, Roanoke regions. Looks like Richmond could be on the list for next year’s ‘search for mama’s retirement home’ trip 😛

. . . googles Richmond VA real estate . . .

TooTall
    Free Member

mamadirt – let me know and I’ll show you the good and bad of RVA in terms of riding and living. We’re an hour from C’ville, 95 miles from DC. Real estate is 1/3 of the price in DC but I’d still love a few acres out in the Shenandoah Valley if there was work there!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I’m in Kansas and STW is still the first site I click on in the evenings. Here and Pinkbike. I haven’t found an American site that i’ve liked. As mentioned already jensonusa.com is a good place to buy from, as is competitivecyclist.com. I still use CRC for bits and pieces every now and then when the prices work out better and i’m not in a rush.
    Be prepared to start looking for truck and gun forums also 🙄

StirlingCrispin

I used to live just 2hrs north of Columbus, Ohio!

For four months of the year it’ll be too cold to ride your bike, and for 6 months it’ll be too hot 😉 The bits in the middle are OK.

Patch rides and GOBA will be your friend.
    http://goba.com/wordpress/
    http://ohiocycling.info/

And don’t forget Ray’s Bike Barn!
    http://www.raysmtb.com/

I used to love cycling through Amish country in Holmes county – and there’s plenty of similar areas. Enjoy!

mamadirt
    Free Member

let me know and I’ll show you the good and bad of RVA in terms of riding and living. We’re an hour from C’ville, 95 miles from DC. Real estate is 1/3 of the price in DC but I’d still love a few acres out in the Shenandoah Valley if there was work there!

Cheers! Hoping to take some time next summer to drive down from Nova Scotia taking in New England, Pennsylvania, West VA, Virginia and Tennessee although may need to take a bit of a detour as just found out that the MSA World Cup round is on while we’re over 😛

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Going Native _ Moving To USA’ is closed to new replies.