Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • going from Tenant to homeowner, same property.
  • mrmo
    Free Member

In the process of buying a house (“corporate sale”) and assuming that nothing goes wrong, been told an offer has been rejected as we are so far through the process so hopeful nothing will, touch wood, cross fingers etc etc…

We are currently paying rent for the house through one agent and buying the same house through a second agent.

How does the rent work? The owners are asking for completion next week, which should be ok, but it does put us into a new rental period.

Our rental contract states 1 months notice???

But in a month we will be owning the property? so that would make us the landlord and the tenant, which is just stupid!

If i cancel the rent standing order now i am in breach of anything, does it matter?

I have spoken to the renting agent and they weren’t aware of our offer and weren’t sure what to do.

I don’t want to pay a months rent and then claim back etc.

I don’t want to be in breach of anything that could be used against me,

Then there is the rental deposit to get back as well….

Wondering if anyone in STW land had come across this situation before and had any advice.

teethgrinder

You need to speak to the seller/agent and agree (in writing) that you will pay pro rata.

We did the same as you, but we dealt direct with the seller – no agent involved. Also got our rental deposit back as an extra £500 taken off of the selling price.

Tom-B
    Free Member

We did what teethgrinder did!

DezB
    Free Member

Surely the notice is for the benefit of the current landlord – the person who is selling you the house… so you just need to get the agents to agree something with them.
    The months notice is only so they can find another tenant, so not needed in this case.

davidjey
    Free Member

We are also in the process of doing this, and we did what teethgrinder did too!

I don’t understand how you’ve ended up buying the house thro an agent if you already lived there, and thus presumably had notice it was being sold before it went on the market…? As soon as we found out our place was being sold we were straight on the phone to our landlady to let her know we were interested in buying it – no agency fees = more bargaining room on price.

We’re out of contract with the letting agent in a couple of weeks and will be paying rent directly to our landlady til we complete. I’d speak to the landlord direct if that’s an option. Oh and cancel your standing order or the muppets will continue happily taking your money.

At the end of the day, only reason to worry about messing letting agents about is getting a good reference for a future rental. Since you’re buying and won’t need that, screw em.

mrmo
    Free Member

I don’t understand how you’ve ended up buying the house thro an agent if you already lived there, and thus presumably had notice it was being sold before it went on the market…?

house doesn’t belong to the Landlord we initially rented it off, he was declared bankrupt house repossessed. The bank has then put the house on the market and is obliged to get best price. It has also taken a bit of time for us to get the funds together to be able to make an offer.

I did talk to the banks agent before the house went on the market(the ones running the landlords portfolio on behalf of the bank, another agency!) and they said they would not accept any offer accept through the estate agent they appointed to handle the sale.

Does that make sense????

cb

Might not apply in your case as the original landlord is out of the picture but as a landlord I am obliged to pay the agency that rented the property for me a fee on any sale price if the tenant were to buy it. I suspect your original agent will now be trying to claim a fee if they can. Bloody leeches.

ampthill

I think you should contact the seller and ask for a considerable discount on the basis that you understand that their is a sitting tenant who has stopped paying rent. 🙄

gribble
    Free Member

Get your solicitors to document this properly, so it is recorded and both parties know what is going on. Your solicitor should be advising you of how to handle this, as that is what you are paying them for.

davidjey
    Free Member

Does that make sense????

Yes. As suggested I would leave it all to the solicitor to sort out – this is the sort of thing you pay them for surely!

Sounds complicated – I hope you get it all sorted!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘going from Tenant to homeowner, same property.’ is closed to new replies.