Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Going from Sky to Free sat box
  • Alcopop
    Free Member

Trimming back on household out goings so Sky is for the chop
    been with them for 10 years + also have our broadband and phone through them but the costs getting silly,
    poor signal where i am so I need to use the dish looking to get a Freesat box with the ability to record,my youngest two have a slight OCD with the Disney channel but im sure theres enough guff on Free Sat they can fixate on
    anyone done this is just a case of plug n go ?

BlobOnAStick

I thought you could get a freesat card from Sky, so you just swap that into your receiver? No need to buy a new box if this is right.

valleyman
    Free Member

yes sky will give you a freesat card and use the same box OR you can pay a couple of quid a month and you can keep the sky+ feature.

40mpg

Tell Sky first that you can’t afford the payments. My bro did this and they halved his fee for a period (6 months?). Stay of execution at least.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yup – Freesat card – £20 I think – and away you go…

mattsccm
    Free Member

Easy.
    Pull the card out and the job is done.
    That’s what we did. Then used an old box to the second “plug” on the dish.
    Telly in the bedroom as well 🙄
    No other card needed.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Hang about.
    We didn’t do that. The Sky card is still in the box. So obviously Sky just stopped their bit.
    2nd box is card free.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I upgraded to sports when it was half price around 18 months ago for 6 months. Every time it runs out I call up and they sort another offer after a little bit of a sob story, if that helps…

Alcopop
    Free Member

been through all the offers never really had to pay full whack for it until recently all there offering us now is half price broadband didnt realise they done Freesat i know i can cancel the Sky keep the box and get terrestrial channels but there is a monthly £10.25 charge to use the record feature which i kinda like for series link awkward start time programmes etc ….hhmmm thought new box was my only avenue

JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

If you do get a freesat box and then it is just a case of plugging in and away you go. We moved into a new house that had a dish so we bought a freesat box and it was set up in minutes.

BoardinBob

Sky have apparently cut back massively on their retention deals. I had been with them for 7 years but was fed up paying £100 a month. Called them up to cancel with the reason that it was too expensive. They cancelled me without even attempting to offer any kind of deal. Now with BT Vision instead which with the new sports stuff is just as good as Sky and I don’t have 500 channels of crap that I’ll never watch. Paying £50 a month now for line rental, fibre broadband, BT Vision and the sports channels. Previously I would have been £130 a month for line rental, broadband and Sky TV

valleyman
    Free Member

sky have become b*astards, put it up again by £1.50 they dont care if you go these days.

mind you i priced up the nearest BT price plan and it was about £20 more!!

trouble is the menu system/sly+ is hard to beat, ive used loads of other Humax boxes etc and they dont come close.

i’d get shot of sky but half the stuff the wife watches is not on freesat

Alcopop
    Free Member

Thought about the BT Infinity but no fibre optic due here for a while (East Ayrshire)so all the could offer was Freeview so back to the signal issue ,Yep Sky certainly don’t seem to be tripping over themselfs to hold onto customers i imagine a lot will be shifting to BT with the new sports offer… anyways looks like Freesat it is either through Sky or new box

johndoh
    Free Member

I am about to change to Virgin – £20 a month less (AND half price for 6 months) for a similar package (although I won’t get Sky F1) and I will get 60meg broadband instead of 3meg.

And they will supply and install a second decoder in our bedroom free of charge.

the-muffin-man

trouble is the menu system/sly+ is hard to beat, ive used loads of other Humax boxes etc and they dont come close.

+1

I’m with TalkTalk for my broadband and phone and they offered me one of their new TV boxes for the same price I was currently paying along with unlimited calls and unlimited broadband.

So I thought I would try it with the intention of cancelling my Sky sub – but the TalkTalk TV box is just slow and unresponsive, and it won’t stream catch-up programme in HD (even though my computers, iPad, and Sky Box can). Sky’s catch-up is great as it downloads it to your Sky+ box, which also means you can skip adverts! Generally the TalkTalk box feels like it’s been done on the cheap.

TalkTalks box also has to be hard-wired with an ethernet cable, but Sky’s works wirelessly (with their little £10 box).

The TalkTalk box is now in my daugther’s bedroom – and Sky will remain!

jfletch
    Free Member

Just switched to BT as part of the house move. I’ve not got my hands on the Youuview box yet but all the reveiws say it is better than the Sky box. It even has all the on-demand services integrated into the EPG so you can scroll forward to see whats due on and scroll back to see what has been on that you can still watch.

Only issues seems to be that it doesn’t have an RF out so I can’t use magic eye’s in the kitchen/bedroom to control the box.

And for BT will be £40 a month vs £80 for Sky. Sky are just taking the piss a bit with price increases etc now.

Vern0n
    Free Member

sky have become b*astards, put it up again by £1.50 they dont care if you go these days

+1

I have always been able to get a 6 month ‘special deal’ but the best they could do this time was 25pct off the sports bundle.

So i finally cancelled! 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Quite an interesting thread.

Curerntly with Sky for TV (basic package only) Broadband & phone (although line rental BT).

The Broadband over the last 6 months has got shockingly slow, and we are in a fibre area. Might look in to the costs of BT, but I always thought Virgin worked out more expensive than Sky etc?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Quite an interesting thread.

Curerntly with Sky for TV (basic package only) Broadband & phone (although line rental BT).

The Broadband over the last 6 months has got shockingly slow, and we are in a fibre area. Might look in to the costs of BT, but I always thought Virgin worked out more expensive than Sky etc?

Vern0n
    Free Member

My Sky BB was notoriously slow. Hated the phone with Sky as you had to pay for caller ID and kept getting pestered by Sky sales people.

I am on the hunt for a Freesat PVR – is Humax really the only option?

Anyone used any other ?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I love my Humax Freesat recorder, Was only with Sky for 6 months this is the way forward.

dannybgoode

I would love to get away from Sky but noone else does Sky Atlantic and am currently watching Ray Donovan.

May be when that finishes I’ll shop around a bit.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Going from Sky to Free sat box’ is closed to new replies.