Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Going from 2.8″ to 2.6″ tyre – will i die?
  • smogmonster

I currently run a 2.8″ rear tyre, but i’m fancying a WTB Trail Boss that only comes in 2.6″ casing. Will this be even slightly noticeable or should I stop dilly dallying and just buy it.

robertpb
    Free Member

As most pro racing mtbers ride on rear tyres 2.4 or less I think you should be safe.

davosaurusrex

No, it’ll likely be better. I had a 2.8 Exo Minion for a bit because, fashion. It was crap, vague and fragile, on 2.6s now which are much better. This is also on an ebike, on a clockwork I still wouldn’t go bigger than 2.4

globalti
    Free Member

I used to use 2.6 tyres and found them fast, especially if I fitted a “commuter” type tread, which was good for trailquest events where you needed to jump on the tarmac to get back before the time penalties kicked in.

nickfrog
    Free Member

As most pro racing mtbers ride on rear tyres 2.4 or less I think you should be safe

This really has nothing to do with anything. They are competing.

OP I use a 2.6 at the rear and really happy, it’s a NN. I have a 2.8NN at the front though which works better than the 2.6 it replaces.

smogmonster

Nickfrog, how do you find the NN as a rear tyre? Is it a reasonable balance of grip and rolling resistance?

earl_brutus

Will a 2.6 lower the bb compared to a 2.8 hence more pedal strikes?

nick881
    Free Member

I had 2.6 NN front and back. After a few front end slides and much research I changed them to 2.6 MM front and 2.6 HD rear. Can’t fault them.

The consensus seemed to be 2.6 gives the grip and comfort benefits of plus size but reduces the floaty vague feeling you can get in wet conditions.

The BB drop from 2.8 to 2.6 is surely so small it won’t be noticeable?

nickfrog
    Free Member

Nickfrog, how do you find the NN as a rear tyre? Is it a reasonable balance of grip and rolling resistance?

It’s a fine all rounder. Mine is the pre current compound in EVO pacestar and is only 730grams so really quick yet very grippy in all but very sloppy mud.

chiefgrooveguru

Even I don’t notice the change in BB height by going down 0.2″ in tyre size and I am plagued by noticing the most annoying details. Anyway, knowing how random tyre measurements are, one 2.6 could be as big as one 2.8

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Going from 2.8″ to 2.6″ tyre – will i die?’ is closed to new replies.