Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Going Coil.
  • jamj1974

I’m not able to ride for some time and as a result – my mind turns to cycling and bikes even more than normal.

I’m currently riding a 2016 Transition Patrol that I’m very happy with and definitely don’t want to change. However, I’ve been pondering what difference going to a coil shock and fork would be…

I typically ride technical stuff, but my more demanding riding is more about riding steep technical stuff than going full out on flow trails. I like moderate drops – typically 8 feet is my normal limit, love rock gardens and stuff like that. I still need to be able to climb too.

So, is coil with a try or should I just try and optimise my current Bos Kirk and Bos Deville setup?

Thoughts…?

timbog160

Have fitted a cane creek dB coil inline to my Shan no 5, and also a Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil to my G170. The Super Deluxe has been fabulous and very easy to set up. Also pedals very well – I had the intention of swapping back to air for more pedally rides but I’ve honestly not felt the need. They are a lot heavier though. The CC is also very good but has taken a bit more fiddling to get the best out of it.

If you have the money I would say well worth it.

Also, you think an 8 foot drop is moderate 😳

rhid

I have put a Cane Creek IL coil on my patrol and it feels great. I don’t notice it being any worse at climbing and descending feels amazing.

oikeith

I’ve just put an Ohlins TTX on my 29 Enduro, only two rides in, but feels lovely, on things before which felt rough and the bike was bouncing off things now feels so much smoother and planted. Was surprised at how much heavier than the air shock it was though, I’m not a weight weenie but was a shock…

stewartc
    Free Member

Had a Push 116 on my Patrol, actually improved the tech climbing no end as well as making it even more fun on the downs. On slow grinding tech climbs it felt like the back wheel was glued to whatever you were going up.
    Not a weight weenie or even known for my climbing prowess so didn’t notice the weight penalty from the RS Delux preciously fitted.
    Note: the 116 is a hefty investment but its currently getting reconfigured for fitting on my new Sentinel when it arrives, not many shocks allow you to do that.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I just stuck in the TF Tuned conversion kit into my Pikes and its a significant improvements….I’ve not noticed the only supposed performance issue with coils in that there is no ramp up at the end of stroke…but then i’m not doing 8ft drops!! Also its not ALOT heavier, just about 250g, so sweet FA as a percentage of bike weight and even less as a percentage of all up rider plus bike weight so you wont notice a difference. You’re body weight varies more than that through the day. The additional weight penalty is definitely worth the investment for the improvement in all round performance. Keen to replace the shock for a coil one now.

theotherjonv

G

trumpton
    Free Member

just keep your BOS set up. Surely you’d just be wasting money, if you are happy with them.

jamj1974

Don’t get me wrong 8 feet drops to me is big, but compared to the kind of progressive riding about today – it’s very moderate. There are more than a few people on here that clear big doubles, love gaps, send it massively on kickers and hips – also to whom 25 foot drops are child’s play. I can’t do any of that!

jamj1974

just keep your BOS set up. Surely you’d just be wasting money, if you are happy with them.

I am happy, but have not consistently used a coil fork on a main ride in 17 years and a could shock in 22 years… It might be the grass is always greener – so that’s why I’m looking for peoples experiences.

poah
    Free Member

coil on a patrol is amazing but watch the spring rate. I’d go 100 to 150lb more than what calculators suggest.

cookeaa

So… Not an alternative contraception thread?

jamj1974

So… Not an alternative contraception thread?

At 47 & 44 we are probably a little too old to have child number 4 – so maybe if I get massive suspension rebound and smack my genitals hard enough…

jamj1974

So, thought I would update this thread.  Luckily for me, I have managed to be on the bike for the last 3 months.  I have built up my riding slowly and gently,.  Currently I am up to 12-16 miles on a good day.

I have ridden both my hard tail and my FS bike and it has been great to be back out.  However, since not being used for 9 months my rear Kirk shock didn’t seem that happy.  It has been packing down badly and sagging a lot.  Partly, I think this is down to my increased weight.  I looked into a service, but there didn’t seem a lot of places who could service a Bos shock at the moment.

As a result, I bit the bullet, called James @ J-Tech and ordered a new Ohlins TTX coil shock.  James was able to tune and optimise the shock for me and deliver within 4 days.  Had my first ride on it yesterday and it is a revelation, it pedals better, sits up in its travel more appropriately, takes hits at low or high speed much more responsively.   In short its bloody brilliant!

Big shout out to James @ J-Tech for more of his great customer service and tuning skills. All I dId as a change from the recommended settings was to add 1 click more rebound.  I am chuffed to bits with the shock!

mashr

There are more than a few people on here that clear big doubles, love gaps, send it massively on kickers and hips – also to whom 25 foot drops are child’s play.

I don’t think there are many here sending drops from the top of a 2-storey house tbh

EDIT: didn’t see the last post until i’d hit go

jamj1974

I don’t think there are many here sending drops from the top of a 2-storey house tbh

I know I wouldn’t, but there have been some pictures and video on here of people going really large – especially on gaps!  Certainly 25 feet from top of take off to bottom of landing transition.  For me thats never, ever going to be a reality.  Most of my drops are 3 – 4 feet and I haven’t done anything more than 2 feet during my recovery!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Going Coil.’ is closed to new replies.