• This topic has 62 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Going (back) to uni in your 30's… Anyone else done it?
  • mboy
    Free Member

I’m either having an early mid life crisis, or have finally seen sense and found something I actually feel like I want to do with my life… Anyway, my local University offers a course that I really want to do. Currently not in work, really like the idea of the course, I know it would totally financially cripple me even more (but hey, where there’s a will there’s a way), but it is a subject I am totally passionate about already which I suppose takes away the “doing it for the sake of it” factor I had with my first degree…

So… Those who have gone back to uni later on in life… From your own personal experience would you recommend it, or on reflection was it just a case of the mid life crisis kicking in, and perhaps you should have just worked harder and applied yourself elsewhere? Sadly, even just thinking about this, I know I’m going to have to have a slight bike cull, and sell off everything I own and don’t use often enough to warrant keeping, but really this course would be massively inspiring to me. And they’ve even said I might be able to start full time in a few weeks, but if not then certainly I could start it part time and if anyone full time dropped out I would be in number 1 spot to take that full time position.

Oh and before anyone asks, 31 but no dependents, have had a string of well paid jobs that have not lasted more than 6-8 months at a time due to circumstances beyond my control (usually the company losing a contract and hence having to make us redundant!), no money in the bank though sadly so would have to work hard part time to pay for this one…

Please, fire away, tell me I’m stupid… Or will it possibly be the best thing I’ve ever done?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just keep enrolling on new courses each year. You’ll get older but all the ladies will stay the same age…

camo16
    Free Member

It’s commonly said that going back to uni is impossible – because once you’re used to having cash you’ll never survive three years without it.

In your case, though, I would totally go for anything that massively inspired me.

JAG

I did my first Degree part time at the age of 30. I was employed and my employer paid for the course as part of an employee education scheme.

I loved it and really enjoyed the course. My employers thought I was fantastic for showing the dedication and effort and drive to do it so much later in life.

So I’d say; DO IT – you’ll have a great time and it will really help your employment prospects.

mboy
    Free Member

Just keep enrolling on new courses each year. You’ll get older but all the ladies will stay the same age…

Haha, oddly enough though nothing to do with it, course I want to do will be totally male dominated I’m guessing.

It’s commonly said that going back to uni is impossible – because once you’re used to having cash you’ll never survive three years without it.

In your case, though, I would totally go for anything that massively inspired me.

Yeah cheers, work has been so sporadic the last 3 years for me, I’d have rather had one job paying me a constant modest wage I reckon, rather than the occasional relatively high wages I’ve been on for a few months here and there. I’ve pretty much sacrificed most of my standards of living currently anyway, purely to keep a couple of nice mountain bikes. I know for one I’d definitely not be giving up riding, but accept that what I have now may well have to last the next 5 years upgrade free save for the occasional new chain or brake pads.

And yes, it would massively inspire me…

MrGrim

Haha, oddly enough though nothing to do with it, course I want to do will be totally male dominated I’m guessing

BA(Hons) Pimpin ?

jam-bo

I did a distance learning postgrad a few years back and found it pretty hard to motivate myself after a day at work.

full time student would be piece of cake if you can afford it.

is it worth the debt?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Yes, i’ve done it. I’d started work in a career that really wasn’t suitable and it was a nightmare trying to change. I’d only ever get offered similar jobs to the one i was doing and i was always moving round trying to find a job.

I went back to uni and ended up in a very interesting job. Yes, i’d definitely recommend it.

It got rid of that feeling that I was wasting my life being stuck in unsuitable jobs that don’t go anywhere. Felt much more like I was actually in control of my life rather than being stuck in a boring routine.

I managed to find a sponsored MSc that paid 10k for a year so didn’t really have too many problems with the finance side of things. though with writing up it ended up more like 1 1/2 years so i had to do a bit of contracting to top up the finances.

philconsequence
    Free Member

BA(Hons) Pimpin ?

where do i sign up?

mboy… sometimes in life you gotta go for it, if it excites you, inspires you and the only thing holding you back is cash (something that, judging by the comments about your job security, is never a stable subject anyway) then whats stopping you? 😀

what bikes and how much? 😈

mboy
    Free Member

So I’d say; DO IT – you’ll have a great time and it will really help your employment prospects.

Oddly, that’s probably not true. I wouldn’t hinder them, but this is a music based degree, and all my current qualifications are in engineering and continuous improvement! And to be honest, I’m quite keen to stay away from an 8 to 5 within manufacturing again, unless that is it’s 100% on my terms as a consultant or something.

BA(Hons) Pimpin ?

Didn’t notice that one, may have to reconsider my options now! 😉

full time student would be piece of cake if you can afford it.

is it worth the debt?

VERY good question… I don’t know! Is planning on winning the lottery at some point a viable financial proposition? 😉

Seriously though, I can’t say whether it is or it isn’t. I know I’m gonna have to take pretty much any part time work I can get my hands on to pay for anything I do though, which may be a consideration, maybe I might be better off starting part time at least…

duckman

Similar circumstances;I did it,I’m now a teacher and so glad I went.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ve made it sound like you are genuinely inspired…if that’s real then go for it, you only live once.

amt27
    Free Member

I went back to uni in my late 20s, i also attempted a course in my late teens, these places are now purely about bums on lecture hall seats,

it turned out to be a bit of a horror story, cancelled lectures, poor tuition, and this was a top 20 uni, ended up making a huge complaint about the course and left feeling really bitter about it, i was even asked my age in one tutorial,

took me 2-3 years to actually get a job in the sector I qualified in, which was supposed to be recession resistant, mainly due to ageism imo,

I wouldn’t bother unless, 1. the uni has a record of taking on and has a large percentage of mature students, 2. if you qualification is to improve career prospects, that you have a career plan before you even think about applying,

cynic-al
    Free Member

Duckman I am at a crossroads and thinking of teaching, tell me more.

geoffj

I’ve done it twice 😯

Took a year out to do an IT degree 10 years ago and now I’m doing an MBA part time (still working though). I don’t regret either – its amazing how refreshing it is to hear things from other perspectives.

If you can afford it, do it.

willyboy
    Free Member

I’ve just done it. Handed my notice in and going to college next week to train as a joiner. I’m going to work part time/ try and get work experience whilst on my course (hopefully).

We’re only here once and were going to be working for nigh on 45 years; so you may as well do something you fancy.

Good luck whatever you do.

mboy
    Free Member

mboy… sometimes in life you gotta go for it, if it excites you, inspires you and the only thing holding you back is cash (something that, judging by the comments about your job security, is never a stable subject anyway) then whats stopping you?

What’s stopping me? Not very much quite frankly… I’m likely to at least register to start it part time, that way I’ve at least got my options to do it. And yes, finances have been less than stable for a long time now anyway, sadly I’m all too used to living hand to mouth from month to month for prolonged periods. Thinking about the lack of money for even longer does make me wince a little too, but then in a way because of the course I’d be likely to be meeting the right people to actually start making a few quid on the side here and there. And I guess it would focus the mind a little on the job in hand, rather than frittering away any spare cash I had, if I know I need to pay £300 odd for a module so that I can progress in the course, then I have got to pay it and everything else is secondary.

what bikes and how much?

Stay away from the bikes Phil… Bloody vultures! 😉

Seriously though, got 2 sets of DT hubbed wheels I need to sell ASAP, an E13 LG1 chain device, various bits of tat etc… Best get it on the classifieds I suppose!

z1ppy

Dib’s on the Reba’s! :mrgreen:

(I know, you won’t be selling em..)

CaptJon
    Free Member

Do it. Speaking as a lecturer, i wish we had more mature students – they don’t turn up hungover for lectures, are more focused, usually work harder, and are more willing to ask for guidance. Don’t worry about the age difference between you and the other undergrads, otherwise you’ll freak out when your lecturers are younger than you!

Go and talk to the staff on the course if you have any questions.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m after a transition covert, give me one and i’ll pay 300smackerooos for a module for you. i’m kind like that.

😀 exciting changes in life are exciting.

Woody
    Free Member

I was well into my forties when I went back and definitely don’t regret it. Fortunately it was effectively block release and paid for by my employer, so financially it wasn’t a strain. In some ways it is harder as you get older, as the grey matter isn’t quite as receptive but in other ways it can be a +ve as you have life experience and can handle the …*ahem*…..distractions better 😉

In your present circumstances, there really isn’t much to stop you and you may well not get another opportunity. Go for it!

perthmtb
    Free Member

I can go one better – I’m in my forties with a family to support and back at Uni!

Overall I’ve found it an invigorating experience to get away from the daily grind and pervading cynicism of work, and learn something new again, amongst a group of people who are enthusiastic (if a little naiive) about what they’re doing.

Admittedly, it was a bit of a jolt to the old grey cells to get back into the learning routine – had to take a couple of refresher courses on the basics, practice skills like writing essays, and start off slowly, but now I’m in the swing of it I’m consistently the class swot (as you point out – there’s a major difference second time around when you have made a conscious decision to study and are enthusiastic about the subject!)

Universities nowdays also are much more flexible about how you learn. There’s a lot more options within the courses, part time or fulltime, lectures or distance learning, and assessed coursework rather than exams (they’re just as bad as first time around!)

Best thing about it all is that as a ‘mature’ student you get to hit on the staff and the cute 20 year olds 😉

Downsides? Well, you’re gonna have to live on a student budget again, and this can be tough, particularly if your circle of friends are all enjoying the lifestyle that a good middle aged salary can offer. Also, be careful to pick a course that moves your life forwards, not just opting out for a couple of years – you’ll be back where you started in three years, just older, poorer, and less employable! Unless you come out with a recognised new skill, future employers won’t share your enthusiasm for the learning journey, and will look at you with suspicion.

I could go on… but I’ll clear the airwaves for other’s opinions…so, short answer is – yes, it could possibly be the best thing you’ve ever done.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I did a full time masters degree when I was 29. Financially it was a bit tricky at times but it helped that I had been used to living in London and moved to Leicester for the course which by comparison was dirt cheap. After completing the course I was getting interviews for jobs in a far higher salary range than before the postgrad qualification so once employed that soon wiped out an debt accumulated during the course.

With the new course fees the financial aspect of doing this is much harder than it was for me though. If I was in the same situation now I don’t honestly know if I would have been brave enough to do it as the potential for major debt looks far worse now.

It was a course I was interested in and so threw myself into it and for the first time in my life I thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience. So much so that I have every intention of doing at least one more course if I am able to afford to at some point in the future.

I met a whole new bunch of people most of whom I’ve stayed in contact with many years later. Perhaps because it was a postgrad course the make up of the students was pretty varied and I wasn’t even close to being the oldest. I did only have a cheap(ish) bike for the duration but I got to ride it a lot more so it was all good.

sangobegger
    Free Member

I’m doing my first degree at 44 years young.Frankly the thought of spending another 25 years in my (very secure) present role was enough to make me weep.I am in the fortunate position where I can afford to do the course,(Scotland,hard workin wife and some savings),however if even one of these supports wasn’t there I wouldn’t have given it a second thought – it simply costs too much.
    So why – midlife crisis,never know whats round the corner, or even the classic, ” I want to make a difference” – they all played a part in making the choice.Was it the right one? absolutely! After 1 year in Uni I love it,it really does motivate and inspire me.
    Folk get really tied up in securing their retirement funds etc,and then croak 6 months after the big day,frankly I’d rather have my health than wealth at that age.My family ain’t going to starve,I can still ride my bike,my prospects if I decide to stay on in my old role are much rosier and its fun – my answer is do it,take control and stop worrying about all the bollocks spoken about poor employment prospects, make your own luck for a change!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I decided last year (aged 30) that I was going to go back to uni. After some soul searching, I found a degree that I want to do and chatted to the director of the department about it. Then other life stuff happened and I put the idea on the back burner for the time being. Its still something i want to do but i also want to go travelling for an extended period of time so i need to work out how i can do it all! 🙂

If it really does inspire you then go for it. Or there’s always the option for part time study/work – again, i explored the option of studying part time (degree course would take 6 years that way though!) and then going part time in my current role.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If the course will improve your employment chances -then go for it.

Some kids are anti social but you won’t want to hang around with them- just meet
    Like minded people-especially in union clubs like MTB etc.

Money wise it’s tough but as long as you can afford to eat and sleep with a roof over your head
    Then sure you’ll be fine.

You are going there to learn. Anything else is a bonus.

Good luck and enjoy!

mboy
    Free Member

i’m after a transition covert, give me one and i’ll pay 300smackerooos for a module for you. i’m kind like that.

Phil, I read that as you want to give me 300 smackers just cos you’re a generous caring kind of guy who cares about my wellbeing! Paypal gift is fine by the way… 😉

Unless you come out with a recognised new skill, future employers won’t share your enthusiasm for the learning journey, and will look at you with suspicion.

Good point, well made… But my CV already has enough holes in it for periods of time unemployed the last few years, in a way I’m just thinking “sod it” and going all guns blazing… Also, as the course is totally different it wouldn’t be in any way shape or form relevant to what I’ve done already.

Folk get really tied up in securing their retirement funds etc,and then croak 6 months after the big day,frankly I’d rather have my health than wealth at that age.My family ain’t going to starve,I can still ride my bike,my prospects if I decide to stay on in my old role are much rosier and its fun – my answer is do it,take control and stop worrying about all the bollocks spoken about poor employment prospects, make your own luck for a change!

Another good point exceptionally well made. I wouldn’t be doing this course for employment prospects, that’s for sure… More to help me realise some adult-life long dreams to be quite honest! Hard to explain, but it personally feels like it would be the missing piece in a puzzle to me to do it, and might help me achieve success on a personal level. Besides, as you say it’s more about health than wealth when you’re younger, my current career path has stressed me out enormously and not even rewarded me that well financially, and in a callous way I know I’m going to be alright later in life anyway… And I know my friends wouldn’t see me starve at least…

Anyway, had a slight curve ball thrown at me regarding the fact I would be an “ELQ Student” and the extra fees that might bring with it as a result, so full time looks out the window… Part time though, £325 per module, 16 modules spread over what would probably be 3/4 years looks much more palatable…

noteeth
    Free Member

Yes, BA in Archaeology from Oxford first time around… then spent the best part of a decade as an auxiliary nurse. Then went back to do do my nurse training. Then went back again to do a Masters in Archaeology.

You don’t take all the infrastructure & facilities for granted second (or third) time around – it’s nice having the run of all those libraries. TBH, I’m thinking of going back again soon… 😳

mboy
    Free Member

noteeth

Brilliant story!

Like my sister who has a BA Hons in History from Oxford, but left to work as a retail manager for several years… She’s been bumming around the world for the last 12 months now though, just in NZ to watch the World Cup, then she’s thinking of moving somewhere warm and becoming a diving instructor full time as that’s the one thing she’s found that floats her boat!

LabMonkey
    Free Member

mboy – come on then what course do you want to do? (if you have said already please ignore the question).

If it is something that will open more doors in the future then go for it… if it is simply just a ‘fun’ subject to fill some time… then maybe it is not worth the debt.

I want back to Uni at 26 to study sports science, did well, got a funded PhD in exercise physiology… hand in date is 22 days away… now I get paid to teach, to do research, and to do consultancy type activities… Uni had been good to me (I am 32 now).

My previous life – well I managed a bike shop.

If I am honest, despite a few blips… I have had a great life so far… doing jobs that I love has been a big part of that… we spend so much time at work that doing a job you like is very important.

I would say to anyone that is in a job they hate, or can’t find a job in these tough times to consider University… money is tight, but you learn to budget and end up living just fine… go for it!

Kit
    Free Member

Hi mboy,

Yes, I’ve done it. I went back to uni last year at the age of 30 to do a one year Masters. I sold my car, one of my bikes, worked a 2nd job for 8 months (sometimes working 16hrs a day), got knocked off my bike (not planned but the compensation helped!) in order to save up, and gave up a great flat in a brilliant area of town to move in with my mum and dad to save on rent and bills. So I made a lot of sacrifices to embark on a total unknown, as I had no idea where the course would take me.

Best decision I ever made.

I ended up being lucky too – got my course fees paid for me (£5,100), plus I got myself a student account which gave me a £2k interest free overdraft for the year + 1 year after graduation. My university also has a hardship fund for those students who are struggling, and those who commute by bus or train can claim travel expenses too. This is in Scotland, mind you, but I’d hope that your institution might be able to help out in some way.

Re: employment prospects and contemporaries’ attitudes – how you feel about these will depend on whether you want a career or you want to be happy. Ultimately, I chose to be happy. Which I am, as I’m about to start a PhD so I get to be a tax-dodging stoodint for another 3.5yrs (I’ll be pushing 35 by the time I’m done!).

Good luck, and I say “do it”. 🙂

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Kit – The life of a PhD student is great… enjoy!

darrell
    Free Member

I did it at 27 to do a BSc and then stayed on and did a Ph.D

best thing i ever did

except for this Italian girl…..

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Did my degree at 39. Brilliant job as a result! best decision of my life. Go for it.

konabunny
    Free Member

I’ve done it, my mum did it, my brother is doing it, his wife did it. It worked out great for everyone. However, my brother did a music degree and the important thing is that it won’t necessarily make you a better musician but it might make you understand more. His impression was that a music degree is great if you want to take time out and play a lot of music (oh, and do a degree) – but he’d already spent his life playing and thinking about music so…

The last third/quarter is f’ing hard. Not difficult – it just seems like a marathon.

again, i explored the option of studying part time (degree course would take 6 years that way though!)

Yeah but…you get a certificate after 2, diploma after 2 and then you’re practically done…6 years goes fast!

mboy
    Free Member

However, my brother did a music degree and the important thing is that it won’t necessarily make you a better musician but it might make you understand more. His impression was that a music degree is great if you want to take time out and play a lot of music (oh, and do a degree) – but he’d already spent his life playing and thinking about music so…

Hmmmmmmm

Food for thought as this is kinda the alley I’m thinking of going down, though in my case I believe it would make me a better or at least more complete musician, rather than just a guy with a few unfinished skills. But, indeed a lot to think about…

mboy – come on then what course do you want to do? (if you have said already please ignore the question).

If it is something that will open more doors in the future then go for it… if it is simply just a ‘fun’ subject to fill some time… then maybe it is not worth the debt.

ARGH!

See this is the dilemma… Would I really enjoy the course, but resent it for almost putting the rest of my life on hold? I definitely wouldn’t be doing it purely to fill time, it would definitely be very useful to me personally, and might help me achieve a few things that I know I want to do…

Either way, I’m gonna have to get a job/jobs… Not working at the mo, want to move forward, have been told a great deal of my depression and illness in the past few years is contributable to stress from the workplace and not doing what I want to be doing, and that having something to aim for will bring a focus back to my life… And above all else, it would be bloody good fun!

user-removed
    Free Member

I don’t doubt that you’re very aware that a career in the creative industries isn’t likely to pay well, but be aware; a career in the creative industries is unlikely to pay well 🙂

I went back to uni when I turned 30, got a degree in photography and am only now (at 38) beginning to see a half decent income. And it’s still an uphill struggle too….

Like others above, I had no dependants, was a Scottish student in England (fees paid) and didn’t mind working two P/T jobs to keep the wolf from the door – all these made a big difference to my decision to retrain….

EDIT: that all sounds a bit negative, but now I’m where I am, I wouldn’t have it any other way 🙂

instanthit
    Free Member

Yep done it. Do it.
    Went back to do my nurse training. Great parties, involving fire exstinguishers, and lots of young ladies. I married one of them and have two kids.
    Found it easier to study as i was more focused on what i wanted and generally had a good time. Sign up now.

mboy
    Free Member

Went back to do my nurse training. Great parties, involving fire exstinguishers, and lots of young ladies.

I can imagine, but think it would be a bit different in my case, not least because the entire course is taught on a different campus from the main University, but also cos I’d actually be studying at my local University anyway.

*Would of course be doing my best to make up for going through University in a serious relationship the first time round though! 😉

*=Joke! Or possibly not!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I’m 35 now and start my 3rd year of my physio degree on monday. I am married with 3 kids. Going back to uni was the best thing I ever did.

DGOAB – why not do your degree abroad? Australia might do a good version of the course you are after.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Going (back) to uni in your 30's… Anyone else done it?’ is closed to new replies.