Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Going 3×9 to 1x? What’s the current best/value option?
  • rockhopper70

Asking for a mate who is needing some work on his trusty old Marin and fancies the simplicity of a 1x.

Is it now the case that Deore 11x functions adequately, or should he be looking to SRAM.

Wont want to be faffing with expander cassettes or goat links etc, needs to be straight out of the boxes and fitted?

Anyone and any successful bargains recently they can point out?

Thanks

dukeduvet

Deore M6000 is still 10spd just now so SLX or NX cheapest complete set new

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best value or cheapest?

If hubs are compatible (XD) I’d seriously be looking at SRAM GX great price point for weight/performance though I’m running NX which does feel a bit cheaper but runs on Shimano freehub.

rockhopper70

It’ll be on Shimano free hub, not Xd driver.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Because you can’t change or don’t want to? majority steel GX lasts very well

thepurist

I’d probably go SLX shifter & mech, sunrace 11/46 cassette, superstar n/w ring mounted on middle ring, then add chain of your choice.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what thepurist said, for a Shimano setup

smokey_jo

Clarks 30T Narrow wide chainring – can be had for less than £20 in the UK and fits standard 4 arm mtb cranks in place of your middle ring.

Sunrace 11-42T cassette from AliExpress for less than £30

New 9spd chain for less than a tenner of fleabay if the old one is worn.

£60 tops

tomparkin

I converted my 3×9 to 1×9 for the cost of a narrow-wide chainring — as other folks have said, you can buy rings which bolt on the middle position of your cranks.  I used a 30T On One Ringmaster which was in the region of £20.

The theory was that with a 11-32T cassette I’d soon have the strength of Hulk.  This hasn’t happened so far, but I can’t say I miss the front mech.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Going 3×9 to 1x? What’s the current best/value option?’ is closed to new replies.