Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Goggles VS Glasses at this time of year?
  • dumbbot
    Free Member

Is it just me or are googles at this time of years a complete pain in the hoop? Mud, rain, fog, everything….I can’t keep them clean or stop them fogging. Cannot see for shit.

And yes I have a mudguard, its not just about spray but keeping point things from going in my eye.

Anyone use some good coverage glasses that fit in a Troy Lee stages FF helmet?  Or tell me how to use goggles properly

grahamt1980

Nothing really works, i just find glasses are easier to take off and give a bit of a wipe.
    I use oakley radar advancers which seem to give decent coverage

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

I got a set off 100% glasses of Aliexpress to test the waters and im sold on glasses. Now im trying to justify the price of a proper pair vs £10 knock-offs. I still get the occasional mud flicks to the eye but at least they never fog up

sharkattack

Use a 1 or 2mm drill bit to put a line of small holes around the edge of your lens. Not all the way obviously, I used to do both sides or a few at the top in the middle.

I used to do this when I was regularly on uplifts and it seemed to work.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nothing really works, i just find glasses are easier to take off and give a bit of a wipe.

+1

Often just give up and go without either, especially if it’s raining.

Just have to time my blinking to miss any mud or debris going in my eyes.

impatientbull

Oakley Jawbreakers work with the TLD Stages FF, and all the other helmets I’ve tried them with for that matter. Get some cheap clear lenses for them from Amazon so you don’t have to worry so much about them getting scratched up in the winter.

singlespeedstu

Often just give up and go without either, especially if it’s raining.

This.
    It’s just pointless trying to wear goggles or glasses when it’s raining.

weeksy

yeah it’s a pain. I usually take a clean cloth in a bag to wipe down with at times.

joebristol

I can’t imagine goggles work well.

I need prescription lenses and don’t get in with contact lenses to I wear glasses.

I found Oakley half jackets didn’t steam too much, but sometimes water / mud can get under them as they’re not that big.

Now using Rad8 glasses with prescription poly carb lenses in – they’re decent. Find they work on with my trigger full face / 7idp full face / giro chronicle / POC Tectal. I normally tuck the arms under the retainer on each helmet so they’re kept on snuggly.

They do steam up when stationary / sometimes when cranking up hills in the rain for long periods of time but they de-steam quickly and are the best solution I’ve found so far

oikeith

With it being slightly warmer then you’d think at the moment it is annoying as either glasses or goggles will steam up, my rule is glasses over the winter months but when it gets warmer I’ll sweat into the inside of the lens so switch to goggles.

I’m favouring goggles at the moment as I can when not using these hang them off the bars.

Northwind

Couple of pairs of glasses with good antifog (I use nikwax visor stuff), and absorbent pouches for them. Wear only when needed. Obviously doens’t work for xc but for #enduroing where you’re probably going to do just a few big continuous descents it’s about the only thing I’ve found that works.

jimmy748

Scott Prospect goggles with the enduro (pin-lock) lens.

https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-prospect-enduro-goggle

Seems crazy the goggles are cheaper than a genuine set of “enduro riding glasses”
    I use the fake 100% ones from eBay which are pretty good for xc and goggles for winch and plummet rides.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294120453014?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=yMrvEMbYR-6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ZaZn4EUnST-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

nickc

Use a 1 or 2mm drill bit to put a line of small holes around the edge of your lens

@sharkattack
    I thought about this, does it actually work?

hainman
    Free Member

Lenses out and cover with Shaving foam
    Wipe off and they should stay clear
    Might need to do it every few rides but it’s hardly a hassle
    Same on glasses too

Yak

Similar to ^. Polish the lenses with neat washing up liquid. Lasts for a bit unless it’s really wet.

sharkattack

@sharkattack
     I thought about this, does it actually work?

I seem to think it did at the time. You only need a little air flow when you’re moving to dramatically decrease fogging.

I also had the kind of goggle frame where the vents were covered in thin foam so I pulled it all out.

Another thing I used to do, not related to fog or bad weather, was use a sharp knife to remove loads of the foam from the middle of the frame where it pinches your nose. That helped a lot with breathing. I ripped that one off from a world cup rider.

Modern goggles might have removed the need for all this faffing but I haven’t had any for years.

Northwind

Double glazed goggles are pretty good, but ime they don’t make much difference on a proper wet day when the problem’s also water and crap on the outside. Love them for cold weather uplifts and the like though, they deal so much better with breath fogging than standard lenses.

Oakley have been a bit on/off with this, there was an official #enduro lens but I think my current one is a snowsports lens, works just the same though. It’s old old tech for motorbikes but doesn’t really seem to catch on for us…

Re coatings, there’s a bunch of ways to anti-fog lenses that don’t have great factory anti-fog but really, just get the nikwax visorproof, it works better than any of the other approaches or products I’ve tried. No washing up liquid, shaving foam, bob heath, cat crap, any of that stuff. The nikwax is better for fogging but also has great anti-beading so water and muck sheds off the lens far better. And it lasts really well (this is almost a downside, since it lasts ages then when it starts to go off, you don’t immediately notice). A bottle lasts forever too. I think I bought my current one in about 2007

Just, don’t use it in a linoleum floored kitchen or you will die a slippery death from the overspray. Don’t arsk me how I knows, I just knows.

hainman
    Free Member

But shaving foam is handy and usually lying around unless your a bearded warrior 😭

zerocool

I just gave up on both and fitted a front mudguard. Not perfect but I’ve never been the biggest glasses or goggles fan anyway.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.