Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Goggles and glasses ?
  • petercook80
    Free Member

Hi all, has anyone got any recommendations for Goggles that fit well over glasses. I know there are a fair few about from various manufactures but its always good to hear any experience.

I need them for the faster sections as I am currently suffering from badly watering eyes at the slightest hint of wind whipping around my glasses so goggles over the glasses for the down hill sections might be the answer.

Contacts aren’t an option for me but any other suggestions for keeping wind out of eyes while still seeing where I’m going would also be welcome

Thanks

BillOddie

I’m a glasses wearer and when I looked recently it looked like the best option was a clip in insert like this:

https://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Inland-Universal-Ski-Goggle-Prescription-Insert.html

I can’t imagine a fullface, glasses and goggles will play well together and if they do they won’t be massively comfortable.

frogstomp

I had some 100% Accuri OTG goggles. They fitted over the glasses ok but misting up was a bit of a problem.

You can also get ‘universal’ ski goggle prescription inserts which might work for you?

DickBarton

I don’t rate them due to excessive steaming up, but likewise I’ve been lucky enough to not suffer watery eyes from the wind.
    How large are your glasses?

petercook80
    Free Member

Thanks all so far…. on the inserts , yes I had seen those but I want to try something cheaper first to see if it helps the watering eyes (I am trying to sort that out with GP and Optician but it might just be one of those things I will have to live with) If it solves the problem then I wouldn’t mind spending more on a better solution.

Glasses are relatively small  (attached image)

Misting is a potential problem but at present I can barely ride because as soon as I pick up any speed the eyes are streaming so I often then cant see much so have to keep stopping, end up with sore eyes and its rather unpleasant.

No full face helmet involved.

Nike 8097 001 Glasses Satin Black | SmartBuyGlasses UK

scotroutes

Something I’m considering too, for all the same reasons. My glasses are prescription Oakley Half Jacket XLJs so I reckon there will be a problem fitting goggles over them.

DrP

i’ve gone down the glasses and goggles route… the steaming was unbearable, but that WAS in a chilly wet day at BPW…

Also, it’s just weird. felt odd/tight as the goggles pressed agains the arms.

I MIGHT try some inserts for DH/enduro/bike park riding TBH

DrP

rockandrollmark

Yeah, speccy-four eyes here and I suffer from the same problem. Blink more.

I toyed with goggles as well, but gave up fairly quickly for two reasons. Primarily goggles anywhere other than on a downhill run makes you look like an Endurbro. Also, misting.

I’ve got a set of Evil Eye Pro Evos in the drawer with an optical insert which is waiting my new prescription. The coverage on them is HUGE and they resolve any issues with wind whipping into your eyes.

In the meanwhile, blink.

DrP

oooh..here’s a thought..
    How about THIS from amazon:

And then take them to your local cheapie indie glasses place…

£12 for the insert, and then I can get lenses pretty cheap… Might be worth a punt!

DrP

doubleeagle
    Free Member

I have a pair of Eye Pod glasses (google them). They’re not ski goggle style, more typical cycling glasses, but well priced and very comfy to wear and don’t slip when you sweat. My prescription is odd, but still works in their slimmer lens. They definitely keep the wind out, definitely more eye coverage than those reading glasses. Check them out if you’re open to that style of design.

bentudder

I found smaller glasses made my eyes water more. Switch to largererer frames. I use Oakley Crosslinks for riding (hey – and now as my main glasses, since the ones I paid loads to have glazed at Specsavers scratched up in no time) and only struggle with watering eyes in hayfever season. Having done few seasons of downhill back in the bad old days, and used various options, I’d say a pair of specs that are both large and relatively close fitting are your best bet.

petercook80
    Free Member

One of the things against goggle inserts is if you do want to take them off for long climbs you loose having glasses (which with my prescription probably wont be that much of an issue) with OTG goggles you can take them off and still have your glasses on…

Maybe as my glasses are not a very strong prescription I could try a very cheap pair of goggles with no glasses on some down sections just to see if it helps the watering eye problem and then go upwards from there.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Goggles and glasses ?’ is closed to new replies.