Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 222 total)
  • Gofundme page for dad whose divorce means he's broke
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

If you have a look at the page, this thing has been going on for 10 months!

Surely enough time to get a job? Any job if you’re as desperate as he says he is.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Hey you know what, it’s none of your business.

It is if he wants to explain why he wants our money.

councilof10
    Free Member

Just had a look at his facebook page – lots of pictures of foreign holidays, golfing, trips to ice hockey games… Sounds like he just wants people to keep him in the manner to which he’s become accustomed!

Hey you know what, it’s none of your business.

Ah, sounds like there’s even more to it than meets the eye… Has he been putting his puck in the away goal? Why did he lose his job?

molgrips
    Free Member

A white male in his 50’s, presumably in good health

Physical health maybe. If he can’t hold down a job, then he has some kind of problem doesn’t he? One with which he needs help.

Perhaps he needs to get some focus

Where does one get that? Walmart?

aracer
    Free Member

You know what, “amicable” is one of the few positive words I can think of to use for my “relationship” – have a think about it. Or maybe don’t, I’m not sure you’re capable.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It is if he wants to explain why he wants our money.

He’s not asking you for money. He was asking me. I shared this because I didn’t know how to feel about it – a mixture of sympathy and apathy. But I thought it was interesting and I couldn’t see it doing any harm to share is(other than potentially cause a heated debate, but that’s a good thing I think).

Surely enough time to get a job? Any job if you’re as desperate as he says he is.

People are very quick to judge you harshly. It only needs things to go wrong a few times and even if it wasn’t your fault, you get judged very harshly for it.

lucky7500

aracer – Member
    lucky7500 » If the divorce was so amicable, how come he has been completely shafted by it?
    Maybe that’s why it was amicable – it certainly appears to be one possibility.

I hadn’t considered that, but it does make sense given what the op has said about the guys attitude to work / life. I had, probably naively, jumped straight to thinking of ‘amicable’ as getting on well and not wanting to screw each other over.

footflaps

I am genuinely amazed people have donated so much / at all…

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not sure it doesn’t, but from where I’m sitting it certainly appears possible to be “shafted” by a divorce even if you don’t want to screw each other over – assuming you have kids and want the best for them.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I am genuinely amazed people have donated so much / at all…

I am also. I’m even more amazed at how nastily some people are behaving on this thread.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m also surprised by the former, but not at all by the latter – saddened maybe, but I’ve been here long enough. Unless I’m mistaken I don’t think the point of this thread was “give my mate your money” in case some are confused by that.

Though actually I’m reminded that I “loaned” a mate (somebody I genuinely consider to be a mate and I did see in person regularly at the time – less so now, but that’s because other circumstances have changed) a significant amount of money which I never expect to see back. Enough that it would make a difference to me now, but it made more of a difference to him at the time and I’m confident he would do the same for me if roles were reversed.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m not sure it doesn’t, but from where I’m sitting it certainly appears possible to be “shafted” by a divorce even if you don’t want to screw each other over – assuming you have kids and want the best for them.

My best friend has just concluded a divorce hearing at the High Court. The other party refused point blank to agree any settlement offered, even when this included a £2m house, £500k in saving and an income of £60k a year for the next 15 years. This represented 80% of the value of the estate.

Instead, it’s been to court and £600,000 of cash has been spent on hearing the case.

but I’ve been here long enough.

Yeah me also. Unsurprisingly one of the posters here looks to be very new.

gobuchul
    Free Member

how nastily some people are behaving

So telling someone to go and find a job rather than begging for money is nasty?

It’s not like he’s some homeless guy who’s caught in a spiral.

He’s a car owning, golf playing middle aged bloke who needs to get a basic that pays about $1000 a month,so he doesn’t have to post begging messages on the internet.

johndoh
    Free Member

My best friend has just concluded a divorce hearing at the High Court.

Should your best friend be discussing such things openly with third parties?

councilof10
    Free Member

It’s not nastiness Geetee, you asked for our opinion!

Look, if he was a single dad who couldn’t afford to feed his kids (as was one of these begging posts I’ve seen on facebook recently) that would be one thing. But he’s not.

He’s just expecting people to give him free money so he can lead a more comfortable life.

I’m sorry, but having been through a divorce, having lost a home, having had to build myself back up from scratch without even so much as a state handout, I can only judge this guy by my standards.

Begging for money, to me, is completely anathema. I can’t even begin to imagine how low I’d had to fall before I started doing something like this… And from what I can see, he’s not exactly reached rock bottom, he’s just finding life a bit tougher since he made the decisions he made!

chvck
    Free Member

I saw a gofundme for someone who want to travel the world doing shakra healing or similar. She’d raised a considerable amount of money from people PAYING to post insults at her. It was quite thought provoking in a way…

binners

There are virtually no circumstances I can think of where I’d prefer to see a man leave his family than honour his commitment, for better or for worse.

I’ll give you fair warning that this type of thing is only going to get worse amongst the commoners… what with the industrialisation of cotton production, and the associated loosening of morals! And your going to be mortified by the promiscuity ushered in after the first world war…

jonnyboi

What do you guys think?

two things.

1. He hasn’t done a very good sales pitch
    2. British cynicism will always trump American optimism.

sbob
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Where does one get that? Walmart?

No, B&Q.

😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Should your best friend be discussing such things openly with third parties?

It’s been heard in the high court – it’s a matter of public record.

It’s not nastiness Geetee, you asked for our opinion!

OK, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. I am sure you don’t need it, but you came across as being pretty spiteful. Reading your background and experience in your last post explains things and gives them context.

FWIW, I agree that begging for money is anathema to me also, but I don’t agree that he’s doing it just because he wants a comfortable life. He is genuinley in the poop.

But being broke is not his biggest problem. That is, as I said, the fact that he lacks drive, motivation, direction and focus.

aracer
    Free Member

What unthinkable circumstances caused that?

zilog6128

But being broke is not his biggest problem. That is, as I said, the fact that he lacks drive, motivation, direction and focus.

On that note, how long is $15k going to last with rent, alimony, etc before he’s skint again? Teach a man to fish & all that. Sounds like what he really needs is guidance/a life coach or at least a job he can actually do well in.

councilof10
    Free Member

Reading your background and experience in your last post explains things and gives them context.

Getting out of the relationship I was in was the best thing that ever happened to me… There were no kids involved, but if there had been, I’d still be there.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Getting out of the relationship I was in was the best thing that ever happened to me… There were no kids involved, but if there had been, I’d still be there.

Here is my hand buddy. Happy to shake yours.

johnners
    Free Member

What do you guys think?

That he has the eyes of a man who will shortly be appearing on a local water tower.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

British cynicism will always trump American optimism.

chuckles

Geez this escalated fast…

I’ve learnt not to judge other people as you never know their circumstances. However, no one is forcing anybody to donate just one of those things in life you can choose to be indifferent about I suppose.

binners

Yeah… great idea! They’d really thank you for that. Sounds like that’d have been a right old barrel of laughs for everyone involved.

Keeps therapists in work, I suppose….

DezB
    Free Member

Good on him for having the inginuity and front to try it. Anonymous handouts of $500 $1000 etc for his trouble. Amazing.
    I would’ve been in a similar situation, though probably having to live in a bedsit rather than further away from my kid, if I hadn’t received a decent redundancy payout. Probably would’ve just wallowed in self pity rather than begging on the internet. But only cos I wouldn’t have thought it would work 😆

franksinatra

geetee, for someone who is not sure how you feel about it, you are awfully defensive.

Three things struck me:
    – It would seem from what he has written that he hasn’t worked at all whilst hanging on for higher paid work
    – It seems that his main complaint is the prospect of moving a few miles away. Big deal (its not like his kids are tiny toddlers
    If he’s that firnedly with his ex then they should sort it out between them

For those reasons,

councilof10
    Free Member

Yeah… great idea! They’d really thank you for that. Sounds like that’d have been a right old barrel of laughs for everyone involved.

Well, given that Jim is a shining beacon of happiness since he decided to leave his kids, I think I’ll stick to my own morals on this one Binners!

binners

Well, given that Jim is a shining beacon of happiness since he decided to leave his kids, I think I’ll stick to my own morals on this one Binners!

And I’m sure the victorians thank the good lord somebody is still upholding them. Well done you!

You’re not big on nuance are you? Must be nice in your black and white world. No shades of grey allowed to intrude

franksinatra

So instead if finding some drive, motivation, direction and focus to sort himself out, he is asking for handouts.

funkmasterp

My friends parents stayed together for the kids. It’s a ridiculous idea to do so. They both ended up as resentful, hate filled alcoholics. He’s emotionally stunted and finds it difficult to form long term relationships. I’m just thankful that you don’t have kids to be honest. Sounds like you’d have them sweeping chimneys or cleaning the underside of looms, what with you appearing to be posting from Victorian times.

councilof10
    Free Member

You’re not big on nuance are you? Must be nice in your black and white world

I have my values and I stick to them… That might come across as rather binary, but it’s not done me any harm.

I’ve seen far more families completely destroyed – and children completely damaged – by parents who’ve decided that “they deserve more” and move on with barely a second thought.

Moving briefly back to my own circumstances, I made a decision that the marriage I was in was not a good place to raise a family and called it a day at the 11th hour (the day before the second round of IVF if the truth be known).

Now, almost a decade later, I’m several years into a solid relationship and planning a family. Older, wiser, but I’m still sticking to my guns – if I’m lucky enough to have kids, I’ll be sticking around for the duration.

johndoh
    Free Member

Forget American dad – what about this one from Asda shopper….

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s just occured to me that I lack the drive, focus, motivation and ambition to pedal up steep hills.

I am also broke, having spent virtually all of my income on my wife and kids.

Please send me money so that I can buy an e-bike and get home to see my kids more quickly and without being, like, all sweaty and that.

Five grand ought to cover it.

Ta.

I could be doing with a power kite as well.

binners

I have my values and I stick to them… That might come across as rather binary, but it’s not done me any harm.

Sought any external opinion on that? Or is that something else you just instinctively trust your own judgement on? You appear to think you know best about pretty much everything.

I got divorced when my kids were young, and you’re right about one thing they have never had a happy home life.

They’ve had two.

I’ve also got a mate, like funkmasterp, who’s parents stayed together ‘for the sake of the kids’. Worked out well. he despises them both for inflicting ten years of misery on him, and the horrendous childhood he endured, surrounded by bitterness, resentment and mistrust, instead of love

Best stick to some random assortment of words arranged into vows, instead of reasoned judgement, though eh?

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve got a poppy here you can have if that helps

geetee1972
    Free Member

geetee, for someone who is not sure how you feel about it, you are awfully defensive.

Well I know how I feel about Jim. I’m just not sure how I feel about what he’s doing. If I came across as defensive then it was in defence of what I know to be a good person and people suggesting (indirectly or otherwise) that he can ‘go f*** himself’.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve got a poppy here you can have if that helps

Is it one of them Tower of London ones? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 222 total)

The topic ‘Gofundme page for dad whose divorce means he's broke’ is closed to new replies.