Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Godspeed You! Black Emperor
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Help!

The girlfriend has bought me a ticket to 2, yes two separate GYBE gigs starting next week, and has been playing me live sets through my smart TV this evening and all I wanted to do was destroy my eardrums with fire.

I think it’s actually hurting her feelings as she thought I’d love them. We go to a lot of gigs together and by and large share a very similar taste but on this occasion I feel like the wool has been pulled over her eyes. Self indulgent one trick boring shite.

Anyone else feel the same or am I completely missing some kind of magical point? I desperately don’t want to hurt her feelings as I really appreciate the sentiment. But I don’t think my tongue can take much more biting.
    It’ll take a quadruple hit of ketamine to get me through a 2hr set of this stuff.

I should add that I thought ‘sleep’ was ok when I first dabbled a few months ago.

Lifer
    Free Member

You’re missing the point, or maybe you just don’t like them? No magic, no self indulgence, just a different thing.

Have you listened to any albums rather than the live stuff? ‘Lift Your Skinny Fists’ is great.

aP
    Free Member

make sure you don’t try 65Days of Static either.
    I quite like both…

chillidave
    Free Member

I’m not their biggest fan with recordings but genuinely one of the best things I’ve seen live. Trust your gf and give it a go, I think you’ll be surprised.

Though I love 65daysofstatic for what it’s worth.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I love their rising racket, shot through with passages of great, true beauty. Saw them circa 2001 and they were incredible. Waited something like a decade to see them again, and then got stuck on traffic jam from hell approaching the M5 and missed 45 mins of the set. Gutted. I’ll never forget approaching the Hall though, the sound they make gives me shivers down the spine and it was floating all around.

If you don’t get it or like it so what? Just enjoy the company of your beloved. Or don’t go. But never pretend or you’ll be suffering or making excuses about all kinds of stuff!

Help!

I’ll take both tickets if it helps. Your gift to me will be karma for your ears 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

Haha. Yes perhaps I’m going to simply have to try it out live. I just found the live recording so repetitive and dull, like a boring funeral procession March, going on and on and on..

She loves the wall of sound and says that it’s an immersive experience live. Fingers crossed then.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Rockets fall on Rocket Falls was my ringtone for a while.
    Stunningly useless for that.
    Most envious, I’m sure you’ll have a great time.

JoB
    Free Member

agree with what’s been said, i can only stand so much of them on record but went to see them live (was the second time of trying, the first time they kept blowing all the fuses in the place) and the successive walls of noise and atmosphere they create is absolutely amazing, you can feel your kidneys vibrate as you slowly get oscillated towards the back wall

it’s was a truly visceral experience in an anodyne world

that said, it’s ok not to like music you thought you might

The-Beard

I never tire of their early records, Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada I listen to a lot. As said above live it is an incredible experience. Feels like the room is going to explode as they build the sound. I am quite, quite jealous you’ve got two gigs lined up!

13thfloormonk

ooh, thanks for the heads up, they’re playing Glasgow on Sunday! 😀

one trick

I totally get not liking them, but ‘one trick’ is a bit of a strange criticism, unless you mean 10 people playing 30 minute long multi-instrumental tracks full of peaks and troughs and everything in between to be ‘a trick’ 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

what i used to do was buy her tickets to football matches insisting she would learn to love that to

IMHO its ok to not share all her tastes in all things especially clothes 😉

I have no knowledge of this band

toppers3933
    Free Member

Who?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Loved the allelujah album.

DezB
    Free Member

New album is great. Where’s the gig? I’ll go with your girlfriend 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

It’s at Shepherds Bush Empire next week, the Roundhouse in June.
    Have 1st floor seating area tickets which should be ace as the view and sound from that tier is spot on.
    I’m looking forward to the immersion, too many people saying its a great experience for me to not get into it. Probably.

Cheered myself up by securing a ticket for Faith No More at The Roundhouse this morning. Shweeet!

CountZero

Help!

The girlfriend has bought me a ticket to 2, yes two separate GYBE gigs starting next week, and has been playing me live sets through my smart TV this evening and all I wanted to do was destroy my eardrums with fire.

I think it’s actually hurting her feelings as she thought I’d love them. We go to a lot of gigs together and by and large share a very similar taste but on this occasion I feel like the wool has been pulled over her eyes. Self indulgent one trick boring shite.
    That’s a bit unfair, just because someone loves something that you don’t ‘get’ doesn’t mean that they’ve been ‘manipulated’; it’s a bit like religion, it’s something that you have to discover for yourself for it to have a real meaning, people proselytising about something can be offputting and put you off.
    It’s taken me years to finally appreciate some bands, others I just can’t like. Like the Manics, for example.
    I’ve heard some ‘God Speed…’ On 6Music, and quite liked what I heard, on the other hand I’ve seen 65daysofstatic, without actually intending to; I had tickets for Asobi Seksu, and for some reason their headline tour ended up as support for 65days…
    Drove up to Oxford, saw Asobi, and, after giving 65days around fifteen-twenty minutes, went to the pub down the road.
    We, (my mate and I), found them unbearably tedious.
    I rather like Mogwai, but not seen them live; they are quite the experience, apparently.
    All I can say is, give in with good grace, and I think you might find that live, with the full atmosphere, you may well enjoy the experience; without the full-on aural onslaught battering your body, a video is a poor substitute.
    It could be worse; it could be 1D or Boyzone…
    Or Westlife, or even, God forbid, Justin Beiber…

Cheered myself up by securing a ticket for Faith No More at The Roundhouse this morning. Shweeet!

Git! Git! GIT!
    Ah, feel better now I’ve got that off my chest! 😉

maxlite
    Free Member

Got me listening to ‘The Dead Flag Blues’ now!

rone

First someone’s missus has issues forcing a Weber on a bloke and now this. What’s the world coming to !

Still mine encourages me with my new enve purchase. Can’t have it all.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m getting cremated to Dead Flag Blues…….not now.Once I’m dead.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m actually now fascinated to see if the loud live aural onslaught really can lift it past the slow motion Sgt Pepper orchestral run out that I’m currently aware of. I’ll report back if I have a religious experience.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I’ll see you at the Albert Hall tomorrow night. Should be an absolute belter.

butcher

There’s a time and a place for Godspeed You! Black Emperor. In some situations music like that annoys me. Other times I love it. Kinda like liking marmite at the beach, but not on the dinner table…

slimjim78
    Free Member

A review.

Abandon all hope of the spoken word.

A slow wailing drone builds in intensity for circa 20 minutes. The expected crescendo doesn’t ever appear, but in its place a jarring distortion that has no place being there.
    Except, one starts to find interest in the un-obvious..

Then, unexpectedly, one begins to move in time to the..beat? No, there isn’t really a beat. But i’m moving anyway. Weird.

The initial strains of violin now cut through the din and offer a contrast to the tension of the guitar distortion.

In summary. It messed with my head (can’t you tell?), but it was a good experience. I particularly enjoyed the first half – which apparently was the newest material.
    I think my stamina waned towards the end. And I never expected to see a ‘gig’ where there was literally no encore invited nor offered. Apart from obviously not having a short track in their repertoire, the performance is more akin to an orchestra than rock concert.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Apart from obviously not having a short track in their repertoire, the performance is more akin to an orchestra than rock concert.

Being both a big fan of GSY!BE and a composer/music nut I’d agree with that. Great review btw, isn’t great having music mess with yr head. Contnuing the food analogies – I could never just listen to one kind of music, that would be like being a foodie and only eating bacon sandwiches ever.

slimjim78
    Free Member

isn’t it great having music mess with yr head.

100%

It was an introspective experience.

seadog101

I have wanted, and never been able, to get to a gig by:

GSY!BE
    Explosions in the Sky
    65Days
    Mogwai

I always seem to be away in a foreign land when they are gigging anywhere that I could reasonably get to.

Conspiracy I say.

DezB
    Free Member

65 Days are the only ones I’ve seen and I don’t think they quite carry the power of the others. Sounded like a rock band without a vocalist to me, whereas the others are a lot more than that.
    *is jealous*

The-Beard

I have wanted, and never been able, to get to a gig by

I’ve seen them all! sorry…

Explosions in the Sky were good but not very rock and roll (they blew an amp which went on fire and instead of dealing with it calmly they screamed and ran away…)

You should check out Mono too, they are not only good on record but very good live. Almost louder than Mogwai!

Best post rock gig I’ve ever been to though was Do Make Say Think at Cargo in London. Absolutely, utterly brilliant. They’ve been supposedly making a new album for a very long time now, wish they’d just get on with it!

seadog101

Mono, OK, added to The List

Nick

Explosions in the Sky are the most boring band I’ve ever seen live (and the only one from that list).

slimjim78
    Free Member

So!

I’ve seen them twice now.
    Last week at Roundhouse was.. brilliant.

I’d had more time for the first gig to sink in, and to listen to more of the back catalogue. This time I found a post right smack in the center of the sound stage – and I eventually worked my way back to the projectionist for best sound quality.

I tell you, the noise the band create coupled with the whir of the old school projectors behind me was something else. I found myself completely zoning out and nodding along.

I’d go again for sure. Glad to have added them to my listening repertoire.

Northwind

True story… I took an ex girlfriend to see gybe in Glasgow, years ago. She was dead keen, I was quite surprised. Got there and she was not happy with the support band, said it wasn’t who she expected. Then gybe came on and she more or less went insane. The ticket was printed like this:

GODSPEED
    YOU BLACK
    EMPEROR

She was there to see the american metal band Godspeed and the norwegian black metal band Emperor. Which is doubly weird since they’d split up.

65DOS are a pretty different deal tbh. More bandy.

slimjim78
    Free Member

slimjim78
    Free Member

Just booked tickets for Brighton in October 🙂

fionap

I was at the Roundhouse – great gig, although we got there too late to get a decent spot in the centre and ended up off to one side so the sound wasn’t quite as spot on, still good though.
    Couldn’t believe it at the end when we realised the projections were being done in real time – some skill there.

CountZero

Forgotten this thread, really glad it worked out ok in the end. 😀
    I love the photo of skeins of film looped over a bar, great shot, that.

DezB
    Free Member

slimjim78 – Member
    Just booked tickets for Brighton in October

Leave your camera/phone at home, i might be at that one.
    (photos are crap btw 😆 )

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Really happy that it worked out, I hadn’t listened to the new album so I have just put it on now.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Godspeed You! Black Emperor’ is closed to new replies.