Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • God this takes me back ! Real women content !!!!
  • oldfart

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvInAcF-PPc&feature=related
    14 years old wet behind the ears (me ! ) girls like this , just don't mess with 'em !

sc-xc

**** me oldfart…learn to link 😉

here

mamadirt
    Free Member

Bet they're all regretting those skinny eyebrows now though 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

oldfart, are you a old skin

oldfart

ton guess i am sir !

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nice video.

……….but better song :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHDBn7TL4JM

ton

oldfart – Member
    ton guess i am sir !

me too mate, cool 8)

Pigface
    Free Member

Not sure what to think about skins, my view is tainted by the early 80's NF stuff and the violence. I know the original skins were into ska and looking sharp but just saw to much crap at gigs. I guess the Oi thing just hijacked the look.

ton

pigface, my uncle was a skin in the late 60's/early 70s.
    not a big booted, skinners, tattoed type of skin like those from the 80s.
    a proper smart sta pressed, ben sherman, loafers, suede head type.
    i tried to copy him, i did however do a fair bit of oxblood dm and levi wearing tho. 8)

skinheads against racial prejudice 8)

oldfart

ton aaawww yessss indeedy !
    Pigface don't bother about later NF morons and Oi stuff .Bunch of hijackers .Go on You Tube and type in skinhead spirit of 69 .Much more like it .

oldfart

ton i'm going all misty eyed now !If i do say so myself when i wore a Crombie with a hankie in the top pocket , Sta Prest and Doc Martens or Loafers i looked good !Ditto the prejudice comment .

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not sure what to think about skins, my view is tainted by the early 80's NF stuff

The early 80s were a long time after the late 60s.

In the late 60s the skinhead culture was widespread and all embracing – in my school in Peckham Rye, it was almost compulsory – school uniform during the day, and skinhead uniform after school hours. The music was all based on reggae and motown, so was therefore also heavily influenced by black culture, eg. the hats, shaved partings, etc.

The skinheads of the 80s were a small minority who were probably more influenced by the SS.

ton

The skinheads of the 80s HAD a small minority WHO PRETENDED TO BE SKINS, who were probably more influenced by the SS.

😉

oldfart

What you mean they rode Singlespeeds back then ? :lol:IGMCrombie !!!!

johnners
    Free Member

The early 80s were a long time after the late 60s

I think you've a rose-tinted rear-view mirror. I remember the skinhead association with violence (and in particular "****-bashing") being a big thing right back to the late 60s/early 70s.

oldfart

yeah but i was just in it for the music and fashion .Too much of a coward for the violence stuff.

oldfart

Just took a quick look ton sure is some class there .Skatalites had Rico on trombone he now plays with Jools Holland .If you want some more class tunes i could name hundreds .Try It's Too Late by Laurel Aitken for a start.

ton

i have loads mate, about 10 trojan albums too.
    saw rico on the hootenany this year, come to think of it seen him on the hootenany for the last 10 or so years.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think you've a rose-tinted rear-view mirror.

Yep, very 8)

I won't deny that there was some violence – mostly against other skinheads (skinhead "crews"). Although "greasers" usually deserved a good kicking (though they were far and few between) After all, they would give you a kicking if they found you on your own.

And yes, sadly '****-bashing' was a term which arose from that era. Although how widespread it was, I don't know – none of my mates ever talked about being involved in it, and there were very few asians at that time anyway.

"Queer-bashing" however, was definitely widespread 🙁

Although to be fair, the British State regarded homosexuals as criminals until 1967, so being anti homosexual was official government policy 😐

oldfart

I used to hoover up any album i could when they 99p each !Some pap but mostly good stuff .Looked up Dennis Alcapone on You Tube earlier not expecting to find it but sure enough it was there !Toasting was forerunner of rap i reckon in a reggae stylee !

ton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3j9i4EYTm8

danced to this at my wedding, not the 1st dance tho………….whitney got that honour……… 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

I don't remember the violence in the late 60s early 70s, I do remember lots of strutting around mainly markets looking for anything on Trojan.
    The clothes were great.
    No one dress, crombie,two-tone suit, plain Ben Sherman and Loafers.
    No two dress, Harrington, Ben Sherman,Levis Sta-Press and brogues with Blakeys 🙂
    No three dress, Check Ben Sherman, Levis and DMs
    Ahh isn't it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You left out sheepskins coats ………for those who could afford them 😐

And it also "suit jacket" with Levis ( and half inch turn-ups on the Levis ….. which was very hard to achieve on a new pair)

oldgit
    Free Member

Old Levis were tough as old boots and only available from Alfreds Gentlemens Outfitters of Burnt Oak! well to us anyway.
    I remember standing them upright in my bedroom.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmm

My memories ofthe skins in the 60s was deffo of violence and racism full of it and a very nasty bunch of folk.

I think there were really two skins cultures – the metropolitan ska skins and the small town racist ones.

alpin
    Free Member

it's funny. one of our housemates is a bit of a skinhead (and half greek) and often trots off to ska concerts and the like. but, this area of germany where we are has a bit of a history.
    we live in the first town to elect, by popular vote, a Nazi mayor. it is also the place where hitler gave one of his fiurst big speeches. and it is the gathering point for fascist 'Burschenschaften' or fraternities.

and such it is not unusual to see the following on the ends of peoples legs.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My memories ofthe skins in the 60s was deffo of violence and racism full of it and a very nasty bunch of folk.

Were you reading the Daily Mail back then TJ ?

Maybe your prejudice was fuelled by the widespread media campaign to vilify the skinhead culture. I certainly remember the shock and horror stories which were published to sell newspapers. As I do the ones about mods, rockers, teddy boys, punks, and all youth cultures…….the good-for-nothing, longhaired/skinhead, drug taking, layabouts with no respect.

The skinhead culture predominately, came from inner-city areas. These areas, since the industrial revolution, have always experienced higher levels of violence – so no great surprise then. The school I went to was in a fairly tough area, so a tendency towards violence would have existed with or without the skinhead culture.

Furthermore, these inner-city areas were also areas with high levels of immigrants. Racism has always existed – well certainly since the Slave Trade anyway, so it would be absurd to suggest that there was no racism in British inner-cities in the 1960s – of course there was. But this was not the basis to the skinhead culture.

In fact, as the skinhead culture derived from the soul/beat loving mods, they piggybacked on much of the West Indian immigrant culture. Reggae was absolutely central to the skinhead culture (although the importance of Motown should not be underestimated) And reggae has always been a powerful tool with which to fight racism – you only need to look at the role it played in Rock Against Racism and it's highly successful campaign to discredit the NF, at a time when it was having a significant influence amongst Britain's youth.

The post-sixties and European/American skinheads were/are totally different, and have a completely different history.

BTW, were you a soft spotty-faced scruffy long-haired hippy TJ ? ………..bet you were <scowls disapprovingly>

alpin
    Free Member

I certainly remember the shock and horror stories which were published to sell newspapers. As I do the ones about mods, rockers, teddy boys, punks, and all youth cultures……

you must be well old…. 🙂

oldgit and ton… oh, and last.fm….. thanks.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you must be well old….

Well I can't deny that. Although TBH, teddy boys were a bit before my time. However iirc, newspapers like the Daily Mail, tended to use the term "teddy boy" long after they had ceased to exist, as a generic term for any non-specific youth who didn't have 'short back and sides' and wear sensible shoes (anyone wearing winklepickers) ie, 'juvenile delinquents' to Mr Daily Mail reader. Although the term rocker/biker (and "greaser" to us) would have been more appropriate. I also very vaguely remember the term "Beatnik" being used way past it's use by date, by the rabble rousing newspapers. Although beatniks were only ever really an American phenomena – which developed into the West Coast hippie movement.

oldgit
    Free Member

Being a skinhead in North London was a multicultural affair.
    My time as a skinhead was the closest I've ever been to the Black community.
    I do remember gangs clashing, but they were mainly face offs with lots of posturing and common admiration.

khani
    Free Member

was a punk in manchester and never had a problem with skins, perryboys however 👿

Dickyboy

Not being old enough to remember the 60's skins I can't comment on that era, however the 80's skins weren't all racist thugs or have the Specials AKA been forgotten already?

meehaja
    Free Member

Some proper music from back then… I wasn't allowed Toots and the Maytals at my wedding as a first dance, but I've got pressure drop ear marked for my funeral!

If any one is in and around Leeds (such as Ton) check out the moonstomp nights every month(ish) in Leeds.. always a good turnout and some great music (suitable for old skins as well as the younger generation!)

oldfart

A couple "multi cultural " memories for me are walking through St Pauls in Bristol on Saturdays to football .Before we could drive .We never encountered any problems though the area had it's fair share of riots in later years .Then just outside the ground there was a West Indian record shop .Often we would be the only whites in there .Always had such agood laugh always welcome and the reggae they had in there was amazing .Stuff we had never heard of , they would play for us on there sound system and most of the time we would buy it .
    The other ways we got to hear new to us music (living in mid somerset it wasn't easy ) was the Glastonbury Tor Fair .The blokes running the Waltzers and the Dodgems would put these amazing tunes on .We just had to know what they were .Then we would go and pester our local record shop to order them .Thats where i first heard It's Too Late by Laurel Aitken .Double Barrel got to me when my mate went to Highbury to see The Gunners .I saw him that night clutching this single he'd bought in London saying youv'e got to hear this !Wow it blew me away !Happy days .

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘God this takes me back ! Real women content !!!!’ is closed to new replies.