• This topic has 77 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by MWyer.
Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • God help me! I’ve been listening to Country music
  • Premier Icon Northwind

Bit of Abe Partridge for you

I couldn’t decide what Jarrod Dickenson song to link so here’s an effectively random one

And on sort of the same theme, some David Ford

Premier Icon BillMC

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Free Member

it’s such a wide genre to define as country almost tells me nothing. Some of these are ace, some do nothing for me and others are horrific.

Not as horrific as when I accidentally went back past the end of the sports channels on my sky box and happened on

Premier Icon Pyro

A few from me as another country/Americana fan:

John Moreland (someone mentioned above)

Jeffrey Foucault

William Elliott Whitmore

Premier Icon mariner
    Free Member

Heard Steve Earl on Radio 3 and been my ear worm ever since.
    It is a bit like Tom Waits country cousin.

Premier Icon Sandwich

Have a listen to The Shires (Bedfordshire’s finest)

for those of us with daughters.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Premier Icon tayls
    Free Member

Premier Icon colournoise

I generally don’t like country (would rather stick to UK folk) but Steve Earle is the real deal.

Premier Icon Trampus
    Free Member

Junior Brown

Premier Icon ji
    Free Member

If we are doinf=g home grown then how about Cambridge’s Ezio?

Most of their stuff is much less country than this!

Premier Icon ji
    Free Member

Oh and the Avett Brothers are really good too

Premier Icon metalheart

Been into country my whole life. But my definition of country I guess.

Id not really class Angel as country (I do love her though):

First Aid Kit being the antithesis of all this broody testosterone:

Gillian’s Boot album is worth checking out (I need to get the three new ones):

I still love Courtney’s version of Everything is free now:

Bill Callahan:

Bonnie Princ3 Billy:

Some proper old school though:

More on the folk side, Meg Baird:

Liked Colter Wall, I’ll need to check him out…

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Id not really class Angel as country (I do love her though):

Likewise. I find that she is and isn’t depending on song/album. Definitely ploughing her own furro but variously puts me in mind of a wide cast of classic genre-rippers such as Stevie Nicks, Roy Orbison, Patsy Cline, Kate Bush, maybe Hope Sandoval at times? But quite a few songs certainly have a dark country undertow (especially on latter albums). ‘Alternative country/folk’? She’s great with Bonnie Prince Billy too IME. Had a read of her Pitchfork interview recently and she described herself as ‘this sad cartoon country girl singer’. It’s not often (hardly ever) that I hear new stuff that makes me shut up and listen quite so intently (and then become an immediate fan!j 🙃

Premier Icon metalheart

She’s great with Bonnie Prince Billy too IME.

Yeah, that’s where I first happened upon her. Wolfroy was probably the last BPB album I truly loved…

And that reminds me, Joan Shelley:

Premier Icon carbonfiend
    Free Member

Country Got Soul – Vol 1 is on Spotify

Premier Icon Pigface
    Free Member

Premier Icon Pigface
    Free Member

Lyrics in this one are special

Premier Icon Pigface
    Free Member

Premier Icon binners

Like most normal people I always hated country music with a passion. I then remember the day, back when we still used to buy CD’s, hearing something on 6 music that forced me to don a disguise and walk into HMV on Market Street and in hushed tones ask them where the country section was

Still absolutely love this

Premier Icon colournoise

And, someday, all country will be made this way.

Premier Icon Pigface
    Free Member

Premier Icon Pyro

Few more?

Kacey Chambers

Lone Justice (Maria McKee)

Premier Icon Northwind

Brilliant thread, cheers everyone!

Premier Icon rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Whiskey Myers worth a listen too.

Whiskey Myers

Premier Icon metalheart

Lucinda Wiiliams:

Emmylou Harris:

Flying burrito bros:

Dan Hicks:

Gillian & OCMS:

Premier Icon CountZero

Jeffrey Foucault

Never seen Jeffrey play, sadly, but I’ve seen, and met, his missus a number of times, and she’s a wonderful singer and songwriter – I first saw her supporting Erin McEown in Bristol, and she made a big impression on me. Here’s Kris and Jeffrey together…

And Kris sort of on her own…

She mentions her three year old daughter, I saw her in Bristol and London a month before she had the baby! Sadly, she seldom gets to tour over here, she self-funds or crowd-funds her albums, with a label to distribute them, so there’s little money to fund U.K. or European tours. 🙁
    Oh, and great to see Emmylou and Maria McKee/Lone Justice here as well.

Premier Icon Marin
    Free Member

Chris Country digital radio station is good mix of modern country for background house noise.

Premier Icon anagallis_arvensis
    Free Member

Lets not forget The Wonderstuff invented country and western way back in 1989. His is where country started for me, North Bromsgrove High School, in Mr Carricks physics lesson, Georgia played me this tune by her cousins band on her very cool sony walkmen

Premier Icon Scienceofficer
    Free Member

God help me! I’ve been listening to Country music

God can’t reach where you’ve gone. You’re on your own now.

Premier Icon kerbdog
    Free Member

Early Son Volt or Uncle Tupelo might be up your street too..

Premier Icon Pyro

CountZero – sorry to say I’ve seen both Jeffrey and Kris twice now, best was up in Edinburgh at Cabaret Voltaire, where they both did halves of each of their respective sets alone and the other half backing each other!

For another one of his, ‘One Part Love’ always amuses me, an American singing about Newcastle, Gateshead and Durham:

I’m a bit young to have heard any of Lone Justice’s stuff when it first came out, first I knew of Maria McKee was the bloody awful ‘Show Me Heaven’, then a mate put me onto the LJ stuff and I felt much better.

Premier Icon CountZero

Thought of some more this afternoon; Longbranch Pennywhistle, which was John David Souther and Glenn Frey, the Souther Hillman Furay Band, and JD Souther. Some of those names may be familiar…
    Glenn Frey went on to form the Eagles, Richie Furay was in Buffalo Springfield and Poco, Chris Hillman was in The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers and Manassas, and JD Souther wrote or co-wrote several of The Eagles most popular songs. He also wrote hits for Linda Ronstadt, another country-flavoured singer with a stunning voice. He has also recorded a number of solo albums, Black Rose is a particularly good album, I’ve got the original vinyl from 1976, and the more recent CD. I was lucky enough to see him play at St Bonaventure’s in Bristol, about 200 capacity, and he was just a delight, a really lovely man; when I produced my vinyl copy of Black Rose after the gig, his face lit up, he was chuffed to bits that someone actually owned a copy!
    @Pyro – lucky git! I think I’ve seen Kris four or five times, twice on one tour, but for one reason or another I’ve not managed to get to see Jeffrey, and as for the both of them together, well that opportunity has just never happened, sadly, so I’m really jealous!

Premier Icon Pyro

Adding another one. My Dad listened to both types of music* when I was a kid, and as I got a little older, I thought most of that old stuff was cheesy and rubbish. Then I realised my tastes were gravitating towards more modern versions of the same as I grew up, and I got the chance to see people like Dolly Parton (twice) and Kenny Rogers play live, and realised I was similarly doomed, but that was okay.

The 2013 re-recording of Rhinestone Cowboy confirmed that the old stuff wasn’t cheesy, it was just of it’s time. Whatever it was written about, the 1975 version sounded to me like a young man paying his dues and dreaming of hitting the big time. The 2013 version sounds like an old man at the end of his career hoping for just one more hit. I know which I prefer, but same song, same artist, totally different meaning, a bit like Johnny Cash and ‘Hurt’.

*Country and Western. Thank you Blues Brothers for that gag…

Premier Icon Edukator
    Free Member

A country thread without Brad paisley, Vince Gill or Keith Urban. A bit like a pop music thread without the Beatles, Madonna or Lady Gaga.

Premier Icon gordimhor

Bookmarked thread. My suggestions Ryan Bingham, Lucinda Williams and Iris Dement

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

One I hadn’t heard of but after it came up on Spotify from the suggestions on here….turnpike troubadours

Premier Icon MWyer
    Free Member

Agee with those who said the Deep South are great.

For more Americana/Folk Rock/Indie Folk, try The Bottle Rockets, Bruce Cockburn, Thom Chacon, the Handsome Family, Dave Alvin, Jake Xerxes Fussell and Mary Gauthier.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.