Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • GO Outdoors pap bikes – awful
  • stumpytrek
    Free Member

GO Outdoors should be ashamed of themselves. This kind of pap should be a thing of the past!

“The steel frame offers greater durability and robustness, whilst the front and back suspension soak up some of the shock for a more controlled feel.
    ]Equipped with a 21 speed gearing system to ensure you can tackle any gradient, and semi slick tyres will allow for faster rolling and less resistance.
    When it’s time to hit the brakes the alloy V-brakes will provide a powerful efficient stop.”

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Yep, I agree. No disc brakes, shocking.

devash
    Free Member

Thing is though that bike isn’t being marketed to Audi driving IT workers with a high disposable income who pootle around trail centres on 160mm travel carbon framed enduro bikes.

Those specs would be more than adequate for a ride with the kids along the local tow path.

iolo
    Free Member

How dare they sell cheap bikes to get people cycling.
    £129 for that?
    Shit spec but for that price who cares?

johnnystorm

Why not sell a £129 bike that has had the money spent well, rather than on trying to look like something it isn’t? Especially if they want to appear a serious bike retailer.

devash
    Free Member

Why not sell a £129 bike that has had the money spent well, rather than on trying to look like something it isn’t? Especially if they want to appear a serious bike retailer.

Economics? You can’t even buy a decent fork for £129, let alone the frame, components, groupset and finishing kit.

bearnecessities

I can’t see what there is that’s so bad?

Sure it probably weighs 49lbs, but it’s Shimano’d, isn’t in the BSO camp, and there’s nothing wrong with v-brakes.

Better off with the HT version though 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

Just be thankful they’re not selling bloody stupid clown fat bikes.

drofluf
    Free Member

iolo – Member
    Just be thankful they’re not selling bloody stupid clown fat bikes.

Someone feeling a little “inadequate” in the girth department? 🙂

Anyway the good news is that you can relax because they do appear to have one Go Outdoors Coyote and weighing in at a “svelte 22kg” who could resist?

Euro
    Free Member

OP, expensive bikes are great, but if you think you need to spend a lot of money to enjoy cycling, you’re doing it wrong. May i suggest golf as an alternative hobby?

iolo
    Free Member

Actually, I was having a pop at the OP based on his history.

sputnik
    Free Member

No dropper post?
    I’m out!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I can’t see what there is that’s so bad?

Sure it probably weighs 49lbs, but it’s Shimano’d, isn’t in the BSO camp, and there’s nothing wrong with v-brakes.

I beg to differ!
    On the plus side it appears to have alu brake levers and an ahead stem so there’s at least a chance it might steer and stop, but it’s got those hellish quick shift fake grip shifts which require popeye-esque forearms to move and even then dont even vaguely index.
    Then theres the linkage which will have more play in it than the bike has rear travel. The same goes for whatever passes for bushes in those forks.

Euro – Member
    OP, expensive bikes are great, but if you think you need to spend a lot of money to enjoy cycling, you’re doing it wrong. May i suggest golf as an alternative hobby?

No body other than a dedicated self harmer is going to enjoy riding that.

devash – Member
    Economics? You can’t even buy a decent fork for £129, let alone the frame, components, groupset and finishing kit.

Which is why on a super cheap bike, companies would serve the end user best by keeping it simple – a rigid with bits that are actually fit for purpose!

/RANT

Euro
    Free Member

No body other than a dedicated self harmer is going to enjoy riding that.

When you say that are you referring to the broken link in the Op’s post (or is does the bike actually look like a piece of paper ripped in half 😀 ).

Obviously as we get older our tastes and expectations change, but i can remember having a lot of fun riding heavy and unsuitable BSO’s as a kid. It was the fun part of cycling that got me hooked and the reason i still ride.

jameso

Because sometimes the customer is looking for ‘features’ or an image rather than understanding what makes a good ride experience and it’s as much about units sold and margins as anything? It’s a shame as you could make a relatively nice, simple bike for a similar RRP but it would need the benefit of ‘less is more’ actively selling. ie, you’d need to want to offer the customer a ride quality at the potential risk of lower sales. Still, as a longer-term plan I’d say the ride quality aim is better business, agreed. But it’s easier to sell people what they expect to buy.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Can’t you see the pic in the OP? It’s grim.
    If you go on the GO website you can zoom in for extra grimness!

Out of interest, when you were enjoying riding BSO’s as a kid, where they FS?

DickBarton

With a name like Compass, how long will the bearings last?

jameso

Good point Adam. I had something that was only 1 step above mail-order BSO status when I started riding off-road (well aside from a BMX on tracks) but it was rigid and a basically sound ride.
    The bike up there isn’t what I’d recommend a first-time rider but in their defence I’ve seen a lot worse, the basic layout of size, angles etc doesn’t look too bad.

bearnecessities

I beg to differ!

I sense already you won’t let it go, so I’ll allow your view 🙂

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I sense already you won’t let it go, so I’ll allow your view

Very generous! 😉
    Thank you kindly!

mamadirt
    Free Member

I bought something very similar a couple of years ago to ride to work after an attempted theft of my pride and joy. Apollo branded, shock bottomed out on the frame every speed bump (bear in mind I’m only 8 1/2 stone) and forks had more fore and aft travel than up and down 😆 ) but I could live with that for the price. What bugged me though was the geometry was completely whack – bottom bracket was so low that I grounded my pedals when cornering and trip home the scenic route through the woods was a complete no go. Could’ve been a fun little bike – let down by poor design. Lesson learned. 😳

bearnecessities

It appears to also have an innovate take on Cannondale’s lefty.

Euro
    Free Member

Can’t you see the pic in the OP? It’s grim.
    If you go on the GO website you can zoom in for extra grimness!

Out of interest, when you were enjoying riding BSO’s as a kid, where they FS?

Had a look and i agree it’s crap. As you say you’d get a better bike for the money if they kept it simple, but i know from experience that kids want what they want, not what you think is best. It took 3 bikes before my youngest would actually ride any of them – the most recent one is the worst from a cyclists point of view – heavy as with plastic tyres and rattly wheel discs, but it’s red and splattered with skulls stickers – and skulls are cool so he rides it and has lots fun.

There were no FS when i was a kid but my favourite ‘off road’ bike had two baskets and a hinge in the middle for easy storage 😀

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

People sell what people will buy. I agree that a fully rigid, even single speed, bike would benefit from maximising that £129 budget. But people don’t want that. They want suspension, they want a number of gears. “They”, in this case, being people who don’t want to spend (and frankly don’t need to spend) hundreds on an entry level bike.

drofluf
    Free Member

iolo – Member
    Actually, I was having a pop at the OP based on his history.

Apologies, hope no offence taken

docrobster
    Free Member

I’m willing to forgive go outdoors selling any old pap as they stumped up the ££ to pay for a trail to be built in the woods 20 mins ride from my house.
    This was to advertise the new in house brand which appears on superficial viewing to cater for the same market as halfords.
    Eg:
    http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bossnut-full-sus-mountain-bike-p347143

dirtydog
    Free Member

rather than on trying to look like something it isn’t?

Looks sell, performance won’t come into it. If it looks like a mountain bike it must be a mountain bike “Look it’s got suspension and everything and it’s only £130.00”

scandal42
    Free Member

£130, for a pushbike?

You can have a scooter

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

26inch?

WHERE’S MY PITCHFORK?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘GO Outdoors pap bikes – awful’ is closed to new replies.