Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Go on – what's the best tasting butter one can buy?!
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Bored.com, and thinking about how the butter I had at Bonne Auberge last week tasted far better than the Grahams stuff we buy at Asda.

So I’d like to ask the middle class masses what butter they think tastes amazing. I use a breadmaker and it seems wrong to spread something cheap and tasteless on it. A quick google and President keeps popping up.

cinnamon_girl

Unsalted.

mcj78
    Free Member

President is good – very creamy (mmm, creamy) however I like to jazz it up a bit with some sea salt flakes, those fancy arse pink himalayan ones are a good bet as they’re a bit milder than the normal Maldon stuff, although the Maldon smoked stuff is very nice but maybe slightly overpowering on a mild creamy butter.

I can’t believe i’m critiquing butter & salt on a bike forum… 😐

glasgowdan
    Free Member

cg it’s GOT to be salted. I’m not in it for health, just pure luxury and mmm factor.

mcj, does different salt actually taste different?

Milkie
    Free Member

Netherend Farm Butter is my choice. 😛

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Keeping it middle class,
    waitrose Brittany butter with sea salt crystals.

Rorschach
    Free Member

easygirl

Lurpack

cinnamon_girl

cg it’s GOT to be salted. I’m not in it for health, just pure luxury and mmm factor.

Nowt to do with health, it tastes better!

I use Himalayan pink salt on food so not anti-salt. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Beurre d’Isgny

Note unsalted for cooking and salted for general eating, salt can be added in flakes as per post above

rocketman
    Free Member

Butter ah yes I remember that

mcj78
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member

mcj, does different salt actually taste different?

Aye, as much as it pains me to say it, not so long ago i’d have scoffed at the suggestion 😆

The fancy pink stuff isn’t quite as salty as regular sea salt flakes & the smoked stuff definitely tastes smoky… coincidentally yesterday I found some lemon salt crystals we were harangued into buying in Istanbul a while back by Del Boy in a fez & rubbed it into some chicken, tasted bloody great.

slowoldman

Unsalted tastes much better. Waitrose Essentials is good and currently 95p.

Yes different salts do taste different. Bog standard table salt tastes of chemicals, Malden salt tastes of salt.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeo Valley

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Cornish salted Trewithen butter.

deejayen
    Free Member

I sometimes buy M&S Jersey butter – it’s different, but quite nice.

buck53

Kerrygold. Grass fed, innit.

andyl
    Free Member

waitrose Brittany butter with sea salt crystals.

This is what we are enjoying at the moment. I like to switch every now and then as you appreciate butter more when you notice it but currently on pack number 3 of the above in a row.

Saccades
    Free Member

Nowt French – they don’t get enough grass to feed the cows properly around the year (corn fed and the butter goes white like lard) – I’d vote for Kerrygold for easy to get hold of quality tasting butter.

molgrips
    Free Member

We buy ‘Welsh’ butter. No idea if the recipe is different or just the ingredients, but it’s fantastic. You may not be able to get it in England though.

andyl
    Free Member

We buy ‘Welsh’ butter

Gives anyone who eats it strange urges towards sheep and makes them rubbish at rugby. Or so I heard 😉

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

that reminds me, I must go and see my Aunty Marge this evening, she’s been unwell for ages.

I can’t believe she’s not better…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Yeo Valley

that one

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Rachels.

globalti
    Free Member

Président – superb butter. Try it on fresh French bread with ham and gherkins. Mmmmmm…..

lemonysam
    Free Member

We get ours from the local organic dairy farm. It’s the same price as the supermarket and the glow of smug self-satisfaction helps keep the house warm.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Another vote for Kerrygold here.

oldboy
    Free Member

Yuk! Haven’t eaten that disgusting, congealed dairy fat for 25 years.

rogermoore

RM.

chewkw
    Free Member

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I was just in Lidl and saw some deluxe west country butter and have two pats sitting waiting to try. I see from a quick google that the butter has been in the running for an award of some sort http://www.talkingretail.com/events/awards/quality-food-awards-2014-shortlist-announced/

Fingers crossed!

tomd
    Free Member

Graham’s dairy stuff in general is a bit ropey. I tried the butter and their cheddar and both had an odd taste. The Aldi / Lidl own brand stuff is more pleasant. Lurpack, Kerrygold and President also all nice.

sv

Abernethy if you can get it.

linky

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This is my current favourite.

There can never be too many sea salted butter threads on the interweb.

keefmac

goat butter. i think we get this one from sainsburys on the odd occasion we go there. very much like goats cheese taste.

ninfan
    Free Member

Butter you say?

Isgny du mere unpasteurised butter with sea salt crystals, if you can find it!

Waitrose Brittany butter with sea salt crystals as a close second, morrisons as a third!

sharkbait
    Free Member

I used to think that it was all basically the same until we were given a pack of [name I forget] hand made in Shropshire. Creamy gorgeousness – £4.50/500g though 🙁

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Go on – what's the best tasting butter one can buy?!’ is closed to new replies.