Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • Go on – what's the best tasting bitter one can buy?!
  • wallop

Purity Ubu is my all time favorite.

Hell yes! Love this. You know they sell cycling jerseys? 8)

Another current fave of mine is Fang by the Black Flag guys down in sunny Kernow. Yum!

wallop

Tiny Rebel are all of the aces, Mama! They’re a cracking bunch, making some superb beers.

I cycled across Belgium with Brad last year!

I like their One Inch Punch.

Xylene
    Free Member

Rogue Hazelenut

McEwans Champion

dekadanse
    Free Member

Adnams Broadside of course!

Closely followed by Butty Bach, Felinfoel Double Dragon, Wadworths 6X, and believe it or not, Greene King IPA Reserve (had a pint on Friday night and it rivalled the Adnams shock horror!) NOT what Sussex drinkers with their beloved Harveys Best want to hear (remember the battle of the Lewes Arms?) but the truth is that Harveys is OK in Sussex but just does not travel.

Sorry guys.

funkrodent

Another vote for Timothy Taylor Landlord. Grew up in Worcestershire so would be wrong not to mention Flowers. Haven’t had it for ages, but at 50p a pint in my teens it went down very well!
    Current favourite is Lowestoft Gold.from the Lakes, gorgeous pint

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Holt’s/Sam Smith’s/Theakston’s

sprootlet
    Free Member

Crouch vale-way to amarillo
    Nethergate – Umbel magna (not to be confused with umbel ale)
    Crouch vale – brewers gold
    Hopback – summer lightning
    Adnams – Ghost ship and Broadside

mt
    Free Member

Any of the bitters and others brewed at the Church Inn at Uppermill. Once a month I manage the get there (live mile away now) for lunch, home made steak and kidney puddin, chips, mushy peas n gravy. This all goes down with a couple of pints of Church Inn Dark Mild, awesome. Yes mild!

Ton you’d love the place!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Seconded:

and:

ton

Ton you’d love the place!

mt, we had a sweary northerners xmas do there a few years ago.
    it is a cracking boozer.
    as is the royal oak heights, which is nearby.

mogrim

It is indeed a great time to be alive as a beer lover. Personal favourites: Adnams Broadside, Proper Job, and I did like the Twickenham beers I had a couple of weeks back on a visit back to London.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Current favourite is:

Barngates’ Tag Lag, then

Dent Aviator
    Doom Bar
    Coniston Bluebird
    Jennings Cumberland

toby1

Great British pint as pulled in the Great British pub, not this craft nonsense.

The point missed here is that there is a great array of beer for everyone at the moment, craft, micro-brewery or otherwise. You can have something interesting with a meal, or find something you can easily settle into for the night. There Malty, Hoppy, dark, light, weak, strong and everything intbetween and it’s brilliant.

Beer makes us all better people and it makes the world a better place. [FACT]

mt
    Free Member

Apparently, “beer is proof that god loves us and wants to be happy”. Benjamin Franklin said that. Now I’m not sure about the god bit or that flying a kite with a metal object attached in a thunder storm is good idea, however his sentiments there are correct. Just not any of that US beer mind.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Alton’s Pride is the best beer in the universe bar none. A bold statement I know but if you like a well hopped mid malted bitter with a modest 3.8% but a flavour than suggests more, then this is it.
    Bonus being at 3.8% you can have a quite a few and get up the next morning!

muddy9mtb

always

BUT NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER 😈

unless you want to be s*itting through the eye of a needle next day

dragon
    Free Member

would be wrong not to mention Flowers. Haven’t had it for ages,

It’s now owned by AB InBev so is probably rubbish. I used to love Flowers bitter and IPA growing up, then it got bought and virtually disappeared overnight.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Otter Bright or Doombar for me every time. Did try the Spring Otter at the weekend and that was very palatable as well.

bigblackshed

From out of my area

Timothy Taylor’s Landlord
    Black Sheep Ale
    Brains SA
    Doom Bar

Local to me. As in 15 minutes walk to the in house brewery

Anything from the Spinning Dog Brewery or Wye Valley Brewery.

The Wye Valley Brewery started as a brew pub at The Barrels, now moved out to Stoke Lacy. The Spinning Dog is in The Victory. They are 100m apart

😆

DaRC_L

I used to love Gales HSB – till Fuller’s efcked them over.
    +1 for Flowers which I used to love too.

Recently had a bottled beer from Glastonbury Ales which was lovely, need to try one from the barrel though to properly tell.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I do like Landlord but some excellent breweries local to me.

Current favorites.

rewski
    Free Member

Not had a Larkins for a while, used to be my local brewer when I lived in the area, some great pubs in the area too. Had a few The Bottle Dog beer garden.

mefty
    Free Member

The point missed here is that there is a great array of beer for everyone at the moment

It might have been missed if that was the point I was making, but I wasn’t. I was simply making the point that it would be nice to restrict the thread to proper old fashioned british beer as there is already a lot of discussion about craft beer on here.

I used to love Gales HSB – till Fuller’s efcked them over.

Is this really the case? Fullers have a good brewery operation so I find it surprising and sad as I spent alot of time in Gales pubs.

I did a few deals with beer companies in the past and they were pretty convinced that a modern brewery would produce a much more consistent, and thus better pint, than the old ones. One company I dealt with, whose product is mentioned a few times on here certainly didn’t brew the majority of its beer at its historic brewery as generally assumed – although that may have changed.

Cowman

Loweswater gold, not quite a bitter, but defo the best real ale

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Wye Valley, most any brew
    Black Sheep
    Doom Bar
    Landlord, not had for a long time now
    6X
    Badger, most brews, golden champion & glory are nice summer numbers

Ringwood Forty Niner

The Wye Valley Brewery started as a brew pub at The Barrels

Well I never, etc.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Great to see lots of Tiny Rebel love on here. Hadouken is definitely next to try, CaptainFlashheart 😛

DaRC_L

Is this really the case? Fullers have a good brewery operation so I find it surprising and sad as I spent alot of time in Gales pubs.

Used to drink HSB a lot as it was in my local, then was in a Gales pub (after a long while away) had a couple of pints rand wondered why it was just meh not great – then googled that they’d moved the brewing operation…
    the same happened with King&Barnes when Badger took them over – move the brewery and the beer doesn’t taste the same.

collinshog
    Free Member

Blue monkey brewery’s ape ale or bg sips, very tasty

Nick

I’m amazed people like Doom Bar. I thought it was basically rebadged John Smiths, seems to be as ubiquitous and have a very similar taste.

The best pint of beer I’ve ever had was Landlord, in the Crown Posada in Newcastle. I wouldn’t normally seek it out though as it can be very ordinary.

peteimpreza

A well kept, hand pulled, pint of Bathams has always been top of my list.

Live to far away to enjoy it anymore.

Luckily I can enjoy the output of the Stroud brewery now. Direct from the brewery bar. Stop in if you are passing on a Friday or Saturday afternoon.

All their brews are great, my favourite is Teasel when its on draught.

Klunk
    Free Member

my lad brought me back 4 pints of island nipper bitter from a long weekend on the wight, have to say it’s very nice.

joepose
    Free Member

Doom Bar – yummmmmmmmmmmm

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Great to see lots of Tiny Rebel love on here. Hadouken is definitely next to try, CaptainFlashheart

Mama, they took some “specials” to Cask some time ago. Really good beer, basically. Very impressed with the flavours and combinations they came up with.

Of course, their “look” helps as well. It’s just brilliant!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Too right – just opened a temp Urban Tap House in Newport so plenty of chance to try them all over the next month. Fingers crossed it’ll become a permanent fixture 😛

karlsbug
    Free Member

Not bitter but tastes like a summer ale, Adnams Jack Brand Dry Hopped Lager. Absolutely stunning.slurp

juanking

Favourite British beers are pretty much any of the Williams brother’s brewery. 7 giraffes, Good Times and Birds and Bees are all fabulous.

http://www.williamsbrosbrew.com

jimster01

IMHO I think both Doom and The Reverend have tapered of in the last couple of years.

Current faves are –
    Tomos Watkins
    Purity
    Skinners
    Otter

Scapegoat

Taylors Landlord.
    Copper Dragon Golden Pippin

mogrim

Great to see lots of Tiny Rebel love on here.

Had a pint of “One Inch Punch” a couple of weeks ago, it was OK. Not something I’d rush out to try again, nothing special. Their image is a bit meh/trying too hard, too.

jimster01

Thinking about it, a pint of JW Lees here is pretty hard to beat

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Go on – what's the best tasting bitter one can buy?!’ is closed to new replies.