Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Go on show me your helmet…
  • tommid
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a new lid. I have to replace my Giro Xen which I hate.

What do you wear, lets see it? Recommend me one, ideally with a removable peak so i can wear a cycling cap underneath, not too bulbous and not too deep around the back.

everyone
    Free Member

Kask Mojito or Vertigo for me. No pics of it on my head but there’s plenty online!

modig
    Free Member

I really don’t like my helmet either. It’s a Mavic Notch which does not fit my head very well and has an above average mushroom factor. Sorry, no pic though.

/Johan

vincienup
    Free Member

I just bought a Notch after trying one. It fits my head well. It’s replacing a Feature which is probably due for retirement. I also have a Parachute which I wore most of ladt year and was ace.

Old advice, but an hour or so trying on lids in a well stocked LBS is time well spent.

I had a Xen and replaced it with a Fox Flux – infinitely better, but doesn’t really fit your criteria

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dN1MHE]Helmets[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

TiRed

Giro Medium-shaped head so…

Road : Giro Atmos
    Race : Giro Air Attack
    TT : Giro Advantage 2
    Mtb : Giro Hex

I wear a cap under the Atmos but not the Hex. I like the RocLoc, which can be adjusted based on the curvature of the back of the skull.

By contrast, I couldn’t get on with Kask, just the wrong shape in circumference for me.

tommid
    Free Member

Thanks, food for thought. No votes for an Specialized helmets

cokie

I recently purchased 3 new ones. I used to ride with a Giro Hex, but it was getting old.

All fantastic helmets and all have their positives and negatives.
    The A1 is my favourite- very comfortable, good pads, nice finish and warm for winter
    The Mavic is very light and well ventilated with a lovely finish, but pads aren’t as nice
    The 7 has a gigantic shell and lots of coverage. It’s clunky but well ventilated, cheap, great pads and an ok finish

Tracey

Replaced our Xens with Specialized Tactics, lot better fit on our heads.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Lazer O2. Awesome. Am on my third one now.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cokie I have to ask , why three helmets ? One for each house?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

IXUS RS for me green bike. POC Trabec in White/orange for my On One Fattey.

somafunk

I bought a met kaos 2 years ago which I thought fitted me fine at the time so I sat it on the shelf (yeah…..I’ve not worn it once) but on trying it on last week for the first time (new Scott E-Genius so I’ll be back to riding off road….and crashing at some point) it wouldn’t fit onto my head for some reason so I’ve bought myself a Scott Stego to match the colours of my bike, yep!….I’m going to look a total colour coordinated wannabe enduro knob but I imagine the haters will laugh at me no matter what so I may as well embrace it

simondbarnes

Kask Mojito here
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/f6eUzz]Untitled[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

Tracey – Member
    Replaced our Xens with Specialized Tactics, lot better fit on our heads.

Please excuse my facetiousness, you seem like a lovely, unobjectionable family, but in the interest of upholding my long standing persona of being a complete arse on STW – what the actual f***?

I know you like Specialized – I like Specialized too, but seriously? Do you wear matching outfits when you go out? Barring Kevins Stumpy, you ride the same bikes – this is fair enough, but you’ve now changed all your matching helmets for some Specialized matching helmets?????? Because they fit your matching heads?

I’m sorry, it’s been a long day at a friends funeral and I’m wasted, this just tickled me 😉

No offence intended x

hainman
    Free Member

TLD A1 is the comfiest lid I have owned.sometimes you can grabs them cheap.Also the Urge Enduro is pretty comfy and covers well and doesn’t look massive on your bonce

cokie

3 Helmets-1 for myself, 1 for my sister and 1 for my brother when they visit.. they store their bikes here.. luckily they rarely come and they have the same size head as me!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have an A1 and a Flux. The A1 is very comfortable but a bit hot, the Flux isn’t as comfortable, or as well made as the A1, but it vents well and looks pretty good.

sandwicheater

I’ve the Xen also and have never got on with it.

Tried an ixs trail rs helmet and was the most comfy thing ever and didn’t make my head look like a mushroom.

[/url]ixs trail rs helmet by Phillip Dalton, on Flickr[/img]

MrNice
    Free Member

thank the stars this thread didn’t go the way I feared. You lot better hope Hora doesn’t decide to contribute…

Tracey

No offence taken.

Had to replace my Xen as it got smashed in the Alps at the same time as my Enduro frame, replaced with the Tactic as that’s what was available from the local bike shop when I got back and cheaper than replacing under Giros policy.

The frame was kindly replaced by Specialized at a discounted price under their crash replacement scheme, however under the scheme you don’t get to pick the colour, hence I was stuck with the same colour frame as my daughter which didn’t go down that well.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I have a Bell Super and Bluegrass Golden Eye. Both are really comfy but won’t work with a cap (the Bell has a pretty large peak).

The IXS Trail RS was really comfy and felt a bit lighter than the Bell, but I couldn’t get it in the colour I wanted.

TLD A1 is comfy but pig ugly and has horrid colour schemes.

dubber
    Free Member

Sandwicheater – how’s the sizing on the IXS trail helmet ? As there’s only two sizes and I’m borderline between the two.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

@ dubber

I have an IXS trail in large, the adjustment is not to the minimum. I used to use Giro Xen in Medium.

The IXS fits nicer

MaxWall
    Free Member

My Pink helmet for your pleasure!!

Helmet

LadyGresley
    Free Member

If you have a round head, then there’s no end of choice of helmets. If you have an oval head, then it’s very limited, mainly Specialized but especially Lazer – they fit me so well that I had to buy two 😀

AlexSimon

Old specialized used to fit me perfectly, but they changed a few years ago 🙁
    What helmets have people found that fit like the old specialized ones?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Mushroom Heid – Or SuperMario take you pic

I_Ache
    Free Member

mindmap3

TLD A1 is comfy but pig ugly and has horrid colour schemes.

Glad I have packed mine to wear on Sunday. 😆

sandwicheater

@ dubber. Can’t really say, I have a child size head and the S/M fitted like a dream. Felt like loads of adjust. All I can say was I almost spaffed all over the shop it fitted that well. True story.

magnetodog
    Free Member

bearnecessities

😀

Simon

For most of my riding I just wear a Giro Indicator, which is about the cheapest lid Giro sell (25ish quid). In fact I have two, one has a light attached for night riding. Not sure if the peak comes off or not, I just leave it on when I’m road riding. Fits my head well and good ventilation.

I’ve also got an old style Troy Lee A1 for when I’m getting my Enduro on. Fit is great on my head with more coverage at the back (so no good for the OP) but it’s very, very hot.

jimplops

Bontrager Rally here, nice and comfy, wore Giro for years before.

poah
    Free Member

met parachute and a iDp 7 M1 (actually a 661 comp) FF

dahedd
    Free Member

I’ve got a selection of helmets in the garage I’ve had real issues with helmets hurting my head (head aches, scaring behind my ears, chaffing on glasses) guess its a weird shape.

I had a Specialized Tactic 2 which I’ve just replaced with a Bern Morrison lid. The Tactics lining was falling apart internally & beginning to hurt.

The Morrison was an Xmas gift (£90 down to £40 I think) Not too sure about it yet, totally different shadow to the Tactic.

BillOddie

I’m a Giro guy, have a Xar, Feature and Atmos.

All lovely. Atmos can be used on the MTB if you want.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Go on show me your helmet…’ is closed to new replies.