• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • go hug a tree, it might be your last chance
  • rOcKeTdOg

due to Phytophthora Ramorum my local woods are being ravaged, trees upto 200 years old gone forever 😥
    http://a-pic-a-ride.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/disaster.html
    when you are out riding through the woods this weekend, don’t take them for granted, ride them like it could be your last time, you never know it might be

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

😐

wordnumb
    Free Member

Won’t hugging trees further increase risk of infection?
    I heard the whole thing started because a monkey hugged a tree in Africa…

rOcKeTdOg

goodbye hugs are worth the risk

rickon
    Free Member

Which forest is this? I know they’re clear felling Wentwood, 200 acres of it because of Phytophthora.

Plus Nant Yr Arian being closed for 3 months for felling – or at least that’s what I’d last heard on here.

My local is felling at the moment, but that’s just maintenance – although the impact is pretty high.

rickon
    Free Member

That’s a badly written article. Anyway, sounds like yet another area impacted by the spread of tree disease. Rubbish really, we need robust species.

CaptainCrash
    Free Member

Yep, Nant Yr Arian is now closed for three months due to felling for same disease, it’ll never be the same 🙁

beefheart
    Free Member

It has begun.

JoeG
    Free Member

It happens everywhere.

I live in Pennsylvania in the US. Chestnut trees were once a major part (25%) of the forests here. Then Chestnut Blight hit them in the early 1900s. It kills the trees before they get very large, so chestnut trees are practically nonexistent.

This thing is killing all of the Ash trees around here right now.

Not good, but what the heck can you do? With global trade and travel, these kind of things will happen I guess.

mrmo
    Free Member

maybe we should consider bio security, rather than importing everything from the continent use the fact that we are an island!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Was up the lickeys a few weeks ago and seen the destruction,real shame but spose it has to be done ….. Some of the tracks are a real mess though 🙁

Bunnyhop

Ash die back, Bleeding cancour, also a Caterpillar invading our horse chestnuts.
    Worrying times.

I did see a telly programme where they discovered that blue and coal tits were managing to open up the browning leaves of the ‘horse chestnut’ tree to get at the caterpillars inside. Suggest that where possible if anyone has a horse chestnut tree nearby they put up a bird box.

bencooper
    Free Member

Interesting – we volunteer in out local park and a couple of the horse chestnuts seem to be coming down with that caterpillar. We’ll think about putting up bird boxes.

JoeG
    Free Member

maybe we should consider bio security

So we should have the TSA X-ray, grope, and feel all of the bugs before letting them into the country? 😀

Edit – and confiscate any fingernail clippers and pen knives that they have, of course! :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘go hug a tree, it might be your last chance’ is closed to new replies.