Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Gnusmusmobile Update
  • duncancallum

its finally succumbed to the dreaded axe of the MOT man

4 items but 2 are too big to look at doing

1)its pissing oil out i think from the timing cover but its everywhere so its hard to see.

2)fuel tanks corroded and leaking.

Brakes need doing too but that’s a minor thing really

undersides getting really bad with major rust scabs so any big works are probably a waste in the scheme of things.

its a shame still drives well and apart from using oil like george best used guiness its not needed any work apart from a new exhaust……

its been great and its been well appreciated and its served everyone well but its time has come…………

so unless its needed or wanted to anyone on here i’m gonna weigh it in and pay the money to the Donkey Sanctuary as mentioned in a long ago comment in a previous thread.

fossy

Shame that. Our 99 plate we moved on 3 years ago is still going locally – nothing more than a tiny bit of front arch corrosion. We had it 17 years though. Great cars.

matt_outandabout

Our Yaris died of terminally stuck glow plugs – MOT fail as a warning light, and apparently they crack the allofly block on D4D engines about 1 in 3 times…
    Someone turned off the light and got one more year out of it…

My dad bought it as ex demonstrator at 3 months old – it was in the family 13 years and 136k. In that time it needed one alternator and one wheel bearing, other than routine servicing. Brilliant thing.

gnusmas

Bugger 😔

I take it the small oil leak it had is now a major oil leak? Real shame, it’s a great little car. Was pleased to be able to pass it on when we got offered a bigger car. Also feel a bit guilty, didn’t expect it to be that catastrophic this early on.

duncancallum

its ok. its a W reg car……….. its old.

i would fix it but its just not worth it. as mark said an keen tester would knock holes in it. if I fixewd it it would be worse next year. sometimes its just too much………..

its done every one proud and probably has lived 2 or so year longer than it should of done.

wangled a polo that i fixed for 8 quid to sort my sister out so alls good

Ambrose

Where is it nowadays? I have a bit of a bond with it, a mate is a welder and my son needs a car. It might work…

tjagain

Can it be saved?

duncancallum

It’s currently in bolton and it’s out of ticket.

I can a frame it somewhere not too far by calling in a favour.

But it’s not welding this year it’s timing chain or head gasket and a tank.

It’s just tired to he honest.

If it was in better overall condition I’d stick a 2nd tank on it n do the oil leak but sadly I don’t think it is worth it.

Happy to ping some pics over

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yeah, do it.

Our 1.3 has racked up 75,000miles in the last three years, taking it from 48,000 to 120,000 needing only exhaust welding and tyres.

dovebiker

Our X-reg, 99960 mile Yaris went to the scrapheap in the sky last week – MoT was due and after we had to break a window because they keys got locked inside, we didn’t feel it needed more money spent. It’s been replaced by an identical, 4-year younger model with a full dealer service history and half the miles – needed a new wheel sensor for £100 and looking forward to another few years of cheap motoring.

poolman
    Free Member

Our 2003 yaris was written off, shame it was a brilliant car with no problems….could have been a donor car. Anyway, we got 1500 insurance money and bought a 2016 aygo for 6k. It’s a brilliant car too, tax free so I reckon it will hold its value better. New small cars are well specced, the aygo has a reverse camera.

Kahurangi

Our X-reg, 99960 mile Yaris

You couldn’t get an extra 40 miles out of it, you monster?

dovebiker

You couldn’t get an extra 40 miles out of it, you monster?

I would have done if I hadn’t left it on the drive with the door open and flattened the battery – the battery was already on its last legs and wouldn’t take enough of a charge.

duncancallum

Right chaps I’m getting some grief as its apparently in the way.

So what’s we doing. If there is no want for it I’ll make arrangements for it go to the big valet bay in the sky

tjagain

If it has to be it has to be. “sniffs”

leffeboy

this is STW, does no-one have a large patio with some space underneath.  It would seem to be the best

matt_outandabout

A 3m X 4m space under a patio? I am sure I’ve heard of such a thing…

Viking burial instead?

duncancallum

Again offers there for photos mot lists on the other thread.

Ambrose

I have been thinking that rescuing the Gnusmobile would be a good thing to do but for me it is too much, too far, too expensive. All of which is a bit of a shame. Such is life.

The donkeys will benefit though, a good thing.

precutduck
    Free Member

It’s helped out people who needed it, now it needs to be sacrificed to help the donkeys.It’s done well

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Gnusmusmobile Update’ is closed to new replies.