Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gnusmobile!
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,
    When MrsH donated what became the Gnusmobile, but which is still refered to in our household as ‘Little Yaris’ she did this partly, mainly really, because she was really fond of it and wanted it to live on and have another life elsewhere.
    I understand that Duncan’s sister has it now? Does she still?
    Anyway, it’s MOT will due again shortly, what’s the state of play there? Was there any money left in the slush fund so many folks on here generously donated to to get it working properly for Gnusmas to get it MOTed again for Duncan’s sister? Would be great if it could live on to serve another year 🙂

DickBarton

Think there was a thread a week or so black, from memory it is terminal due to the amount of rust…mechanically I think it worked.

Hopefully some else will be along to correct my info.

duncancallum

It’s not well.

Its sat on my drive.

Mot wise it needs a fuel tank as it leaks with more than 8 quid in And the oil leak horrendous. The oil leaks that bad its impossible to see where it’s coming from. I think head or timing chain

It’s also needing rear brakes.

The underside is also corroded which if you did a load of work this year on next year you’d then have to put a load of time into it.

Oh and the clutch is high but they all are.

Its fixable cos everything is but honestly I just don’t think its worth it.

Happy to grab some pics. And have a chat with anyone about it.

Oh and if you do the mot check you can see the fails

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andrewh
    Free Member

That’s a bugger, was hoping it would live on. The fuel tank wasn’t great when we got rid so not surprised about that.
    For anyone who hasn’t got the reg the MOT thingy says:

Repair immediately (major defects):

Brake lever has insufficient reserve travel (1.1.2 (a))
    Offside Oil leaking excessively from engine (8.4.1 (a) (i))
    Fuel tank leaking (6.1.3 (b) (i))
    Front Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (3.5 (a))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Offside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened inner side (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
    Front Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
    Front Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))
    Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

Brake and washer hopefully not serious, a new fuel tank was about £80 IIRC, it’s the oil leak which is likely to be the biggy. Where are you Duncan, any STW mechanics nearby?
    What’s your sister doing now, has she got something else? If so is there another forum member who could use it, especially one who could fix it up and then use it?
    If it really does have to be scrapped the wife would like any proceeds to go here if those involved are in agreement? http://www.donkeyheaven.org/

scaled
    Free Member

Dunc is one of the more competent STW greasemonkeys!

andrewh
    Free Member

Ah…

outofbreath
    Free Member

If it really does have to be scrapped the wife would like any proceeds to go here if those involved are in agreement? http://www.donkeyheaven.org/

Nothing to do with me but I’d have thought those involved *might* have invested enough time, effort and cash in moving/storing/insuring this car that the entire scrap value could/should go to them in the form of beer vouchers. Or maybe not, I just thought I’d raise it. A car is often a liability as much as a benefit.

tthew

I think they did it out of a sense of community and would be a bit offended by the offer of money from it. It’s the greatest aspect of this forum.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think we should send it stock car (banger) racing………..

I like donkeys, but I also like watching people get whiplash for my entertainment!

Does anyone have Surf Matt’s contact details?

matt_outandabout

think we should send it stock car (banger) racing………..

Where do I go to spectate?
    Gnusmus should be driver, with tj as reserve….

duncancallum

If it was not so scabby underneath I’d do the engine work n drop a tank into it.

But like I say if you sank a chunk of time and 300 quid in it next year it’ll be the same or worse.

Marco summed it up in a PM. An enthusiastic MOT tester would give you a lot of work.

The guy who tested it was a mate hes confirmed it.

Its sat on my drive in Bl6 it’s not in my way though my missus isn’t as keen on it staying there as me.

If any one wants pics of the underside I’ll sort them. Its be nice to go again but more for what it represents if it was any other car with out the back story I’d not hesitate in sending it to the big car park in the sky.

I did a favour for someone and inherited a polo for free with an oil light on no mot and tyres to the cords. Fixed the oil light motd it and was surprised by how little it needed. So she got that from me as an early xmas present.

duncancallum

Ref scraping it the full money will go to donkey heaven as agreed.

I’m certainly not wanting to profit from it.

I’m even happy if some one wanted it to try n get it close on an a frame or trailer.

tjagain

Its a real shame but I think we have already spent too much time and money on it. Its served its purpose. If someone can do the welding then it might be salvageable which would be nice

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gnusmobile!’ is closed to new replies.