Viewing 33 posts - 161 through 193 (of 193 total)
  • GMBN – Im Out
  • Premier Icon belgianwaffle1
    Free Member

I’ve found that Oldshovel has been a great break from the rad. Lots of great restoration project and paintwork.

Premier Icon 10

Oldshovel has been a great break from the rad

The Bob Ross of bike restoration apparently!

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

“Paul the Punter lost me when he started crying that Scott weren’t supplying him with bikes.”

I stumbled on PTP a while ago when he did a really great video with Tracey Hannah (that actually made her look like a superb presenter).

I subscribed, but not long after it became so Scott advertising heavy and rather boring. Anyone who tells me i need more bikes can basically stick it up their pipe. Consequently i missed him spit his dummy.

I think being a professional Youtuber must be horrific. It takes a huge amount of effort and time to create and edit good content, but to earn money from it you have to get sponsors and then there’s pressure to get more viewers, be ‘real’ but also sell stuff. Brendog is likely to be heading in this direction i think.

Premier Icon eddiebaby

PAUL DAVIDS!

Who is that,then?

Sorry, a guitar guy on YouTube. Friendly, happy and according to socialblade he’s getting over £200,000 pa. bet he never made that gigging.

Premier Icon TheBrick
    Free Member

It takes a huge amount of effort and time to create and edit good content, but to earn money from it you have to get sponsors and then there’s pressure to get more viewers

I think a lot of the “better channels I watch (not bike specific comment) the youtube is a source of income but not the main source of income so they can produce higher quality product.

Premier Icon v7fmp
    Free Member

Its an interesting subject and one that surprises myself quite often. The dislike for some youtubers brings out the worst in me for a brief moment, until i realise i dont have to watch them or have anything to do with these strangers. In the same way i dont watch certain TV programs as i dont like them.

PinnedTV always comes to mind, as i dont like anything they do. BCPOV and Jordan boostmasters voices kill me, as does Vancan (not sure if they are all canadian?!) But as said, i just avoid their video’s.

I liked Tommy C Hype’s earlier stuff, but now find it a bit samey and i dislike the e-bike content.

I come and go with Paul the Punter. Some vids are good, some arent so much. I watch some BKXC. At least he makes the effort to tell you some history about the local area he is riding.

I enjoy most of Berm Peak/Seth. I like Mahalo My Dude and the odd occasion the Singletrack Sampler posts. Biking with Bobo is a bit hit and miss, but can be entertaining enough. I like Matt Jones stuff, he seems a genuine guy.

As many have mentioned, it cant be easy to keep making exciting content. And i wonder how long it can be kept up?!

Premier Icon nickc

BCPOV and Jordan boostmasters voices kill me, as does Vancan (not sure if they are all canadian?!)

Canadians, eh? They can be gratingly chipper it has to be said. Imagine living with one…

I think the problem with a lot of these guys is that they’re essentially a bit of a one-trick-pony, POV shots of themselves riding. Unless they have something interesting to say, it can (and does) get a bit same-y. As others have mentioned at least BKXC travels widely and has (mildly) interesting things to say, one of his best videos was a memorial to his late uncle, which was surprisingly moving.  I can see why folk like Seth have widened the scope a bit, and PTP is doing more with new riders and so on. Leave the Gnarly stuff to folks who do that well, like Remi and Joann

Premier Icon chakaping

The dislike for some youtubers brings out the worst in me for a brief moment, until i realise i dont have to watch them or have anything to do with these strangers.

+1

It would be easy to be very mean about some of those mentioned in this thread, who I find irritating and tedious, but when you consider that they’re making a pittance and likely getting in debt as they take a punt on a career path which is very unlikely to be viable – it suddenly feels a bit churlish.

And it makes those free bikes look quite costly, in the end.

Premier Icon mark88
    Free Member

The dislike for some youtubers brings out the worst in me for a brief moment, until i realise i dont have to watch them or have anything to do with these strangers

The wannabe youtubers spamming every riding group on social media makes them impossible to ignore. Likewise with the impact of them advertising spots that would be best not advertised, or promoting reckless riding and digging.

The likes of GMBN, yes, I just tell youtube not to suggest the channel and forget about them.

Premier Icon duncancallum

@mark88

You n me both. As I’ve mentioned on here before and recently in a FB group

Also blame the YTers for the explosion in cheeky digging.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

Also blame the YTers for the explosion in cheeky digging.

I’m not convinced, if they aren’t getting it from youtube in 2021, then they were getting it from MBUK in 1988.

Someone inspired the cheeky diggers on youtube.

The wannabe youtubers spamming every riding group on social media makes them impossible to ignore.

+1

I got booted from a group for (politely I think) suggesting the world didn’t need another chest cam video of someone riding the same trails at the same average speed.

but when you consider that they’re making a pittance and likely getting in debt as they take a punt on a career path which is very unlikely to be viable – it suddenly feels a bit churlish.

See, I stick go-pros on things for a living. There is (very good) money to be made out of it as a career. The problem is a lot of them see it as a quick thing. That they can produce the next Collective DVD with a go-pro and windows movie maker. Forgetting that shooting and editing is something people go to university for 3 years to learn how to do! I didn’t, that’s why I get to sit at the very back of the gallery just making sure the red light doesn’t stop blinking.

What will be interesting is whether the next generation of TV presenters come through the usual journalism, or acting/performing routes, or whether more get picked up straight from youtube.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

What will be interesting is whether the next generation of TV presenters come through the usual journalism, or acting/performing routes, or whether more get picked up straight from youtube.

I think YouTube is a great source to get TV presenters and there are a lot of good presenters on YouTube. Being good at presenting is fairly rare and not really something you can learn as presenters tend to be likeable and relaxed or they don’t

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

It worked for Chris Harris.

Premier Icon tomhoward

It worked for Chris Harris.

He did the journalism thing first though didn’t he? Very similar to James May.

Premier Icon andyrm
    Free Member

Worked for Maddie Moate too – a fantastic presenter from outside the “normal” path.

Premier Icon martinhutch

There is still plenty of good stuff out there – I like Nate Hills for the quality of the filming and the riding from the guys he follows (and presumably him too!) I preferred BKXC when he was newer to the sport, and a bit less bikeparky in his riding. His alpine/spanish/uk stuff was really good to watch.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

TBF to him, his channel really isn’t about the sort of riding that Remi or Joann do, it’s about being a punter.

If you’re going to be generous then it’s not really about any sort of riding and if he’s worse at anything but riding it’s bike maintenance. He’s had a few good video’s that are nothing to do with him but whomever he got to appear and carry his lack of riding ability, charisma and knowledge about bikes (Tracy Hannah was awesome but hey she usually is, even PtP cpouldn’t hide that)

His channel is about making money for him…

POAH

lol – ride a scott do you as well

nah but much as I do find him irritating I can watch his vids probably because Shimano paid for some editing or something)

Premier Icon chrismac

If socailblade is accurate then Seth is doing very well for himself

Premier Icon tenburner

PinnedTV always comes to mind, as i dont like anything they do

Pinned tv are based nearby and cause real problems with trails on the local hill. Amongst other things they posted a video of cutting a tree with a chainsaw (fc ban all power tools on the hill) which almost resulted in a total ban of any trailbuilding or even maintenance by the trail association. Best of all, video was deleted and then he proceeded to completely deny doing it.

Ive made myself a rule that i wont watch a YouTube video if the title has more capital letters than is grammatically correct – seems to work for avoiding most of the nobbers

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

I got booted from a group for (politely I think) suggesting the world didn’t need another chest cam video of someone riding the same trails at the same average speed

Yeah we do cause it makes my videos look better lol – I don’t see anything wrong with people making videos and spamming them to groups they are on.

Premier Icon tomhoward

I don’t see anything wrong with people making videos and spamming them to groups they are on.

I find the people that do that aren’t interested in contributing to the group, only increasing their views. There’s rarely any follow up discussion or context, just ‘WATCH MY VIDEO!!’

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

Make a suggestion to the group administrator about videos being spammed.

Premier Icon razorrazoo
    Free Member

He did the journalism thing first though didn’t he?

Harris was writing for the mags like Evo for years.  He was very well respected then (albeit a bit of a Porsche fanboi)

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

Harris was writing for the mags like Evo for years.  He was very well respected then (albeit a bit of a Porsche fanboi)

I’m not suggesting they plucked him out of thin air but when Top Gear was forced to go looking for new faces the bloke with the big YouTube presence was at the front of the queue.

It’s easy to imagine it happening for other shows in other categories.

Premier Icon mark88
    Free Member

don’t see anything wrong with people making videos and spamming them to groups

If it was the odd one, maybe. But when it there’s more youtube links than proper posts, less so. Especially when it’s just spam promotion rather than links related to that group.

Make a suggestion to the group administrator about videos being spammed.

One owners group I use was created by one of the chief spammers

PinnedTV always comes to mind, as i dont like anything they do

Clickbait titles, stick the camera in the nervous kid’s face, then drag out 30 mins worth of gopro footage – I can’t believe you don’t like that! I’ve been suckered in by the clickbait a few times. I like the concept of what they do but they’re not the personalities for long edits.

Premier Icon tetrode

If socailblade is accurate then Seth is doing very well for himself

I mean have you seen his house!? It’s a mansion.

If it was the odd one, maybe. But when it there’s more youtube links than proper posts, less so.

Why not post more non video stuff yourself then? I don’t have a problem with people posting videos on local MTB groups. It’s social media, they’re sharing social media, it’s the whole point of it. Also, I like watching average people ride trails near to me or ones that I want to ride at some point (as long as the video quality is decent) because I can check out the trails before going myself and see how an average rider like me fairs with it. It’s really the only reason I started uploading videos because even though it is an insanely popular trail, Verderers at FOD had no decent videos of it. The only ones I could find were terrible quality, shakey and probably 3+ years old.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

I don’t see anything wrong with people making videos and spamming them to groups they are on.

You don’t spam completely unrelated groups though.
    If you spammed a Devon or SE group etc. that is about what trails are open/closed, parking etc. specific to riding in an area that’s different. Of course many of us have a few “locals” so we see the same spam in multiple groups that the volunteer admins have to delete.

How do you fancy every local group you’re in being spammed with “exciting POV of Swinley” ???

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

What I find more interesting is if the “TV defined” styles we have been conditioned to accept survive.

Old Shovel is up in my fav’s but would never get a TV type spot but that is for me part of the charm.

There is a car repair guy called ChrisFix who does IMHO really good video’s with no face… literally. I didn’t realise until he did a how to tint video and every shot where his reflection may occur was blurred out.

Premier Icon nickc

If you’re going to be generous then it’s not really about any sort of riding and if he’s worse at anything but riding it’s bike maintenance.

I think you misunderstand what he means when he calls himself a “Punter” and who his channel is aimed at.

Premier Icon dirkpitt74

I gave up on PinnedTV a while back, just got very samey, he also did a video of Llandegla Off-Piste which One-Planet took offence too and asked them to take down.

Premier Icon teenrat
    Free Member

Ive more or less given up on MTB youtube videos now.

I have however graduated to watching Robbie Cumming’s youtube channel about his life living on a narrow boat and travelling around the UK. A great presenter and has managed to get a couple of series through the BBC called Canal boat diaries’ on BBC4.

If anyone wants some interesting, relaxing, slow paced viewing, i highly recommend it.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

I think you misunderstand what he means when he calls himself a “Punter” and who his channel is aimed at.

I’m pretty sure his channel is aimed at “punters” who buy stuff because they saw some bloke on a YouTube channel recommend it.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

If anyone wants some interesting, relaxing, slow paced viewing, i highly recommend it.

Sounds more like it and what I mean about the possibility to have “non-TV” style stuff we have been conditioned to see as “presenting”

Viewing 33 posts - 161 through 193 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.