Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 266 total)
  • GMBN – Im Out
  • oikeith

I’ve never subscribed used to watch most of their videos back when it was just Neil and Mark, Mark left and Scotty joined which I enjoyed but then some of the recent additions I dont like, but the same happened on GCN, some of the OG’s left and I didnt like the replacements. Changing of the guard is somewhat always inevitable, I like the Pinkbike videos with the two Mikes, not a fan of the female racer they just picked up.

The thing that bugs me most about the GMBN videos aside from them being adverts for new and expensive parts, is the videos seem to sometimes be “off”, the same clip used several times in the same video or lacking of detail, its the opposite of less is more. For example, this week a video went up for who is the fastest presenter, great, always wonder who is quickest out of them, but they just showed a few clips from the runs and some pre race chat and that was it, no practise laps to check for lines, no talk of the track and the features on it, it was an episode they could have got multiple vids out of or more than 6 mins IMO but just rushed out.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep, quantity over quality every time.

They work to quite demanding schedules to “feed the beast” AFAIK, and it results in shallow, bland content.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Like anything watch what you like. I know that anythgin about upgrading and kit is always going to be pro new stuff (but they do do stuff where they say ride what you brung, hardtails are good etc) partially due to their job and partially due to their privileged position of being in the bike industry so their norm is sqewed (as is all of ours)

b33k34

Can’t see much wrong with that piece about wheel size. Generally explains what is going on at the moment. It’s just a 2 minute piece, not an in depth exposé

I clicked on it, thinking maybe they’d got some news or industry comment, and sat slack jawed thinking ‘do people really watch this shit’? 2 minutes might have just about been ok but looking at the timer it was actually over 3 1/2 minutes to say ‘more bikes are switching to 29 throughout the range, mullet, or frame size linked to wheel size’ (which actually seems to say 27.5 is here to stay in terms of parts availability).

They work to quite demanding schedules to “feed the beast” AFAIK, and it results in shallow, bland content.

This – tough job in the off season

Kuco

Never really liked GMBN yet I enjoy GCN and GTN. As mentioned GMBN comes across as 90’s MBUK whereas the others seem more aimed at a mature audience.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I followed them on Instagram for a while, mainly for fail of the day but the amount of utter rubbish that got posted led me to sack them off. Just articles for articles sake that held zero interest with me. Someone else has mentioned it but mainstream mountain bike media is all a bit blah, especially something like a 100% online presence which focuses mainly on videos where they have to keep the content coming, even though they must know themselves its utter crap.

duncancallum

I’m no roadie but I prefer GCN

oikeith

I’m no roadie but I prefer GCN

I quite enjoyed the couple of videos of the presenters trying to beat Si on his aero bike.

ampthill

Well I was quite under whelmed after reading all the comments here, then watching the video. It’s hardly anti vaccine level or we are run by lizard people is it. It’s just slightly contentious view of an industry trend. But to be honest I like opinions.

With noting that on the fastest presenter video 2 of three rode 27.5.

With GMBN I just watch the videos that catch my eye. I’m glad it’s their. It’s free and I don’t have to watch it

dc1988

It does feel a bit like quantity over quality, I have no idea what ad revenue is like on YouTube and what numbers they’re hoping for/require as a business. People who do one video a week (like Berm Peak) seem to aim for quality and it shows but that’s a couple of people Vs a whole team.

joefm

I think they produce decent content considering there’s only so much they can cover. Neil and Blake are pretty spot on.

monkeyboyjc

Feels like MBUK for the YouTube generation. Not helped by having Andrew Dodd on board.

Isn’t it owned/run by an ex future publishing / MBUK editor?

It’s cirtainly been worse content over the last year, no travel/racing/less Martyn….

I used to watch ever vid – now I may watch one a week.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Strangely I stopped watching The Dirt Shed Show when it moved from Friday to Wednesday. I also stopped watching the tecy stuff when Henry left.

reluctantjumper

I’d forgotten about the Dirt Shed Show moving days, Friday was good as it was chippy day so something to watch while eating that. I understand why they moved to Tuesday, race results and easier to do previews, but it did take a lot away from it’s appeal.

Saw Neil and Blake at Windhill back in September/October time and they had already done a morning’s filming at FOD before getting there at 2pm, they both filmed some stuff together then went on to film separately for another hour or so. Think I saw 4 different videos come out of all of that! Have also seen Blake spend a whole day at Windhill and stay on afterwards for some more (after a whole day and then an evening session so at least an 11 hour day), it was just after his son had been born too.

It’s definitely not the fun and messing about a lot of people think it is despite the impression some of the other YouTubers give.

rockandrollmark

I agree with what a few have said about Ashton on there. It was great to see him get a platform following his injury – He’s arguably just as much of a legend of the sport as the likes of Peaty and Warner and shoulders above the rest of the presenters on GBMB (no disrespect). I can see him making the leap from YouTube to Mainstream in the same way that Chris Harris did when he joined the beeb.

The format of GMBN really has become tiresome of late. Some of their features in the past were entertaining to watch and whilst EWS was on their tie-up with the series was good. Recently though it does just feel like every video is either an advertisement or some content that’s been thrown together hastily off the back of the past week’s industry press releases. I’ve not watch GCN for a while but their stuff always felt like genuine content to me.

teenrat

and just who is toff? doing his fast show impression whilst talking gangsta about sick things.

ampthill

MBUK editor?

It’s cirtainly been worse content over the last year, no travel/racing/less Martyn….

Can’t think why that would be?

nickc

The format of GMBN really has become tiresome of late. […] I’ve not watch GCN for a while but their stuff always felt like genuine content to me.

I agree, while I sort of understand that they’ve probably done their research and have data on the average age of viewers, GCN has always seems a bit more grown-up than GMBN. Which is a shame.

duncancallum

Aye Friday I used to crack a beer open n watch the show every week.

I just feel there is so much content it’s a scatter gun approach to appealing to every one.

They’re not very good at saying bye to presenters they just dont even acknowledge they left.

Rob Warner
    Scotty
    Jess
    Henry

Only guy who got a mention was mark B

burner
    Free Member

I stopped watching the Dirt Shed show when they introduced a regular slot after the news with some long haired muppet with verbal diarrhoea. Completely unwatchable.

paton
    Free Member

Scotty Laughland has his own channel these days
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnKjwrrCTrvmdamH0dOLN2g

andyrm
    Free Member

Henry definitely got a send off show:

carbonfiend
    Free Member

They are caught in a strange no mans land where they’ve built up the subscriptions & followers on YT but now need to move on as they are dependent on the paid promotions and ads which eventually diminishes quality (quantity becomes the driving force).
    GCN has overcome this by creating the app that has paywall subscription & access to the Pro Tour Calendar and have worked out some sort of deal with Eurosport.
    GMBN is really stuck here as all the MTB content (correct me if I’m wrong) is accessible via Redbull and they certainly don’t need GMBN to raise their profile or expand.
    Until they can work out a way of building a paid subscription based platform with exclusive content then its more of the same.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think it is hard without the trips. There is only so much you can do when you can’t road trip for mtb. ITs not like road cycling where you can navel gaze as power output. You need to goto fresh locations, trips, adventures, events.

ayjaydoubleyou

GMBN is really stuck here as all the MTB content (correct me if I’m wrong) is accessible via Redbull and they certainly don’t need GMBN to raise their profile or expand.

They were making an attempt at EWS before that pesky virus.

tomhoward

and have worked out some sort of deal with Eurosport.

Eurosport is part of the Discovery network, same as GxxN.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

hopefully they can re launch that then and the YT channel like GNC becomes a platform for the paid more ‘quality driven’ content or just something you dip in & out of as you feel – sometimes its good sometimes its not so good 🤷‍♂️
    FWIW – I don’t mind paying for content – my most used apps are behind paywalls and I’d pay for GCN if I didn’t already have Eurosport

andytherocketeer

Discovery own both Eurosport and GCN, so I guess they’re in a pretty good position, especially given that much of the pro road racing has happened in the last year, even if events did get delayed.
    GMBN is basically screwed, given that pretty much most of the events were cancelled and are being cancelled again. Plus not able to travel, so are limited to Windhill bike park and some hills around Bath.
    Plus there are so many sub-genres that they can never satisfy all MTB demographics. I was going to say that it’s all stunty jumpy stuff that is of no appeal to me, but in reality because they’re covering such a mix only 20% might appeal and 80% not. And then there’s some 14 yr old probably thinking that it’s all boring XC and no cool stunty jumpy stuff. But looking back at the past few weeks both of us would have almost exactly the same number of vids that interest.

chakaping
    Free Member

Plus not able to travel, so are limited to Windhill bike park and some hills around Bath.

They have been allowed to travel for most of the last year, as it’s their work.

They probably just haven’t because they don’t have time or just don’t want to.

nickjb
    Free Member

They have done a few local-ish trips a little further afield. Blake and Rich went to Dyfi Bike Park a shot some quite good films for example.

danposs86

I stopped watching GMBN videos a while ago (must have been as there are mentions of presenters I havent heard of in this thread, and didn’t know The Dirt Shed show had moved days).

However, I still see the odd video pop up on my youtube suggestions, mainly the Blake Build ones and I will watch them. Quite enjoyed his bike cave video and could just about watch the Jeep bike rack video.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I do feel Martin Ashton is a bit wasted there. Such a funny, charismatic guy. Surprised he’s not doing something on the BBC already.

He does come across really well in front of the camera, but does he have any interest in presenting anything other than mountainbikes? I’d quite happily see him replace Claire Balding for the Track coverage, but that doesn’t mean he wants to. He’s not Paddy McGuinness, James May, Graham Norton, Greg Wallace etc who’ll do well presenting show’s about something other than what they were famous for.

chakaping
    Free Member

He does come across really well in front of the camera, but does he have any interest in presenting anything other than mountainbikes?

Possibly not, as I think he’d be a shoo-in for something like Countryfile or a sports-related show, as you suggest.

If he wanted to leave GMBN, he’d probably be gone already.

smogmonster

Yep, definitely gone downhill recently. Blake is funny, Neil is fine, I kinda like Doddy as he’s a definite tech nerd….Ashton just talks crap Im afraid. GCN has gone the same way – they’re obviously under pressure to keep the content coming but its just soooo much pointless guff and endless sales pitches for overpriced branded clothing. The Tech shows are good as are the race shows if I’ve missed the racing, but the rest is terrible – the Dirt Shed is embarrassingly bad.

MSP

I find Ashton’s “childrens tv presenter exaggerated mannerisms” rather grating. I thought he was ok way back, when he was matched up with presenters he didn’t overpower, Warner, ND, SL and MB. But the current crop are just like nervous work experience kids.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I hate to admit it, but “I’m out” on Rob Warner’s YT channel, despite being a huge fan at the start (I know it’s merely weeks old). All the various Covid breaches make my right eye twitch, I don’t mean the travel, I get it, it’s work, but all maskless close contact and that makes me wince, and sadly he ran out of material really quickly… Kaprun, STI, look at the time, 90s spec shoutly ladness, “look at the time” etc.

rockandrollmark

For anyone who’s in doubt about Ashton’s media-friendly credentials, take a look at his TEDxBristol talk:

ETA – Ooooh, an Animal hoodie. That’ll probably be worth something in a few years!

doubleeagle
    Free Member

This is one of the reasons I keep an STW subscription. Most MTB journalism now is basically subsidised advertising in disguise with varying levels of quality. If content is free, it’s usually promoting something. Quality and impartiality needs to be paid for somehow.

I sometimes put GCN on when turboing, and Ashden is very likeable. Agree with above on GMBN being 90s MBUK in video form (although my mbuk days started in 04).

dirkpitt74

I still watch a few bits on GMBN – used to watch it loads.
    Tech is a bit meh now that Henry has gone – he had some good insight into WC and EWS etc. and also liked his presenting style – in fact I re-watched his ‘how to set up any Rockshox fork’ earlier today.

I like ND and BS – not to sure about Rich though.
    And who are Tom & Toff?? First time in ages I watched The DSS today and wondered what they were doing.

Ashton is a great presenter and really enthusiastic.

Hopefully once racing and travel resume the content will improve.

maxtorque

I think it’s actually pretty hard to have a video channel on MTBing.

Back in ‘t day, you could do a magazine article on say “jumping technique” and because that mag only came out once a month and there were no easily searchable archives, do pretty much exactly the same article a year later and nobody would notice. But now, on you-tube, everything your do is right there, still staring you in the face 5 years later, and the “Insta” generation must have a new edit every week right, so soon, finding new stuff to do is really really hard.

Therefore “new product” becomes your savour, because it is new, and so by definition you haven’t done it before!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 266 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.