Glyncorrwg

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Glyncorrwg
  • ferrals

Any idea how much the parking is these days? And how is whites riding? Reckon a better option than the wall with the felling by there. As far as I can see it’s all open.

Premier Icon Twodogs
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon Twodogs
    Subscriber

Wall is all open as the felling is finished (or it was 2 weeks ago). Some bits of Blade was closed…not sure if re-opened yet (the descent after the bermy bit up top by the windmills)

P-Jay

£300

Rode Blade at the weekend, they’ve done a lot of work on the climb, it’s still tough though.

ferrals
    trekfs9

Did Blade last Friday for the first time, no parking fee cos I went by bike. The only thing that did my head in was a few short runs that you had to get the bike on it’s back wheel to get out of and back in to the next trail. It’s a hell of a finish though.
    New sections open on the Wall by the way and the Bike park at the top has reopened with all new jumps.

ferrals

Did Whites twice yesterday – had to give up after that as I managed to crack my helmet on th second go just before darkside (old helmet not bad crash). The climb in particular seems to ahve suffered since I was last there, very scrabbly with loose rocks. I prefer whites to blade as its more XC and hardtail friendly.

Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

Anyone ridden Skyline recently? I might have a crack at it this weekend if it’s all open etc.

Also, are both cafe’s still open for business (Afan Centre and Skyline), id heard rumours that Skyline was closing.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Glyncorrwg cafe was very open on Saturday. Pizzas were underwhelming.

P-Jay

Skyline Cafe changed hands a few months back, it’s still good. Although a couple of cherries wouldn’t ago amiss in their flapjacks…

Premier Icon Kamakazie
    Subscriber

I don’t think Skyline route has been properly open for quite some time but there was some news from MTB Wales that they were going to do some work to it & have a proper re-opening.
    That said, the old route may actually be rideable.

Can’t help with current status of the cafe’s but both were open late last year when I went.

ferrals

Yesterday the sign said Glyncorwwg cafe open 10-4 every weekday.. maybe lognr hours on w/e?

mrpeaski

Here is a trail update pdf link that covers all of the trails at Afan/Glyncorrwg

https://cdn.naturalresources.wales/media/688968/afan-forest-park-mountain-bike-update-15-05-2019.pdf?mode=pad&rnd=132023810440000000

Keep this page handy and click the MTB Trail Update link in the Closures and diversions section.( it is the live link to the PDF above)

https://naturalresources.wales/days-out/places-to-visit/south-east-wales/afan-forest-park/mountain-biking-in-afan-forest-park/?lang=en

Premier Icon Twodogs
    Subscriber

I rode what’s left of Skyline a couple of weeks ago…it’s not great…out to the furthest point overlooking the little lake and then back along not very exciting tracks. I hope they do re-build the original..it felt more remote than the other stuff round there

Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

Thanks guys, that’s really useful 👍

wordnumb

MrPeaSki’s link says Skyline is 26km. I could swear it used to be longer. Am I wrong-remembering?

Premier Icon Twodogs
    Subscriber

it used to be 46km (or 42)…but not anymore!

Premier Icon Twodogs
    Subscriber

you could make it a bit longer by switching onto Blade on the return, which would likely add a few km (5 or so at a guess), but that’s about it. There was someone on here a few months ago who said they’d ridden the old bits recently, but I tried following a gpx of the old route and couldn’t find where it went after the lake overlook…tho I didn’t try that hard

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.