Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Glutenfreeists, what's your beer?
  • Northwind

Just sampling an Estrella Damm Daura, wins all the awards but it tastes like someone’s watered it down… Not bad but a bit absent. Will be going back to the Hambleton Ales GFL which is bloomin lovely I think, but what else’s good? Just getting started, I switched to cider for ages but just finding out I was missing some good stuff…

user-removed
    Free Member

Talisker will fill that gap.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’ve had to turn my back on beer (bar the occasional poachers choice and suffer the dire consequences) i can’t find one that tastes anywhere near a decent beer.

Thank crunchie for cider.

schmiken

Cider.

martinhutch

The two Hambleton beers – GFA and GFL, are pretty good. Booths do a good gluten free lager too.

Pembo
    Free Member

Hambleton is my second favourite and stocked by booths. My local pub has bought in 3 GF beers for me to try:

World top brewery – Against the grain is fantastic, light pale ale.

St. Peter’s – I initially liked this but starting to go off it now. A bit flat and sour.

Crop circle – bottle conditioned beer and ok but miles behind against the grain.

poly
    Free Member

Brahma (brazillian lager) is not officially gluten free but I know a number of Coeliacs who can have at least 2 or 3 with no visible effects (the production process means it should be very low or GF). It may not be what you are looking for in a beer – but it is OK when cold to accompany a BBQ or Curry.

didgerman
    Free Member

Do you really need gluten free? Unless you’ve been told by a doctor, it’s highly unlikely. However, a lot of gluten free products with high mark-ups make diagnosing various ‘intolerances’ a good target for quacks.

cinnamon_girl

Care to explain the number of food intolerances that people are experiencing, particularly those with autoimmune conditions?

I should drink g-f beer and did try Crop Circle which I found to be similar to dishwater I imagine. Bloomin’ hard to give up the London Pride.

martinhutch

Do you really need gluten free? Unless you’ve been told by a doctor, it’s highly unlikely.

I used to be pretty sceptical about gluten ‘intolerance’ as opposed to coeliac disease, but my missus had specific symptoms which plagued her for years and all but disappeared when we tried a GF diet. When she unknowingly ate a product which contained wheat/gluten for a week or so, back came the symptoms. I don’t know if it’s wheat or gluten which is linked to it, and I’m aware there is still a chance it could be coincidental.

As far as I’m aware, the blood test for even coeliac disease isn’t particularly reliable, so seeing a doc would possibly not be much use for what would be a very mild reaction in comparison.

Northwind

Cool, cheers for the suggestions, will track down the Against The Grain first. I see gluten-freeshop do a variety pack of 12 which includes it so might just nab that.

Anyone tried the Greens stuff? They’ve got a pretty good range but never actually seen it in the shops

didgerman – Member

Do you really need gluten free?

Stomach biopsy says yes 😉 (though… maybe it’s just me but I would laugh my balls off if the assorted sports people on gf diets for performance reasons or people on fad diets try to come off them and have lost their wheat tolerance!)

Think there’s quite a lot of barely-glutenous options, supposedly Bud, Coors light etc work too but I’m not immediately sensitive enough to know- I don’t get the bloating etc unless I eat a lot, but I do get the longer term damage so I can’t mess about with marginal stuff. Which is kind of worst of both worlds tbh!

didgerman
    Free Member

@cinnamon No, not really, I’m not a doctor. What I’m saying is, go to a doctor, not a quack with a dowsing wand in a shop full of gluten free bread.

@martin I think this grey area is what quacks have really picked up on. But if you can’t have gluten, a doctor will know, one way or the other.

martinhutch

@martin I think this grey area is what quacks have really picked up on. But if you can’t have gluten, a doctor will know, one way or the other.

The blood test is unreliable, and stomach biopsy (if NICE guidelines are followed) is only used for confirmation following a positive blood test. So the doc may not have all the answers, or the tools to find them.

I’m aware that a lot of ‘gluten intolerance’ evidence is purely anecdotal, including my own, but I’m not going to dismiss that entirely if the effects are beneficial.

I do tend to agree though that gluten-free diets seem to be hawked around as a bit of a fashionable cure-all for modern malaise.

Northwind

FWIW my mum jumped on the diet after I did, only 2 things have ever helped her ibs- gluten free diet and antidepressants. But I’d never recommend it to anyone that doesn’t have a pressing need to do it, it is rubbish. Slightly preferrable to cancer and osteoperosis.

cinnamon_girl

@cinnamon No, not really, I’m not a doctor. What I’m saying is, go to a doctor, not a quack with a dowsing wand in a shop full of gluten free bread.

No need to see a doctor, alternative or otherwise. I’m capable of making informed decisions.

Yak

Not GF myself, but Mrs Yak is.
    Of all the GF beers she’s tried so far, the Hambleton ones are the best. (I had to sample all of them to make sure 🙂 )

Will look out for World Tops, Against the Grain now – thanks

cinnamon_girl

World top brewery – Against the grain is fantastic, light pale ale.

Who makes this please and where it is available from? Thanks. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

WOLD Brewery.

xiphon
    Free Member

mrs xiphon is wheat and dairy intolerant.

For those of you in the north west, The Midland Hotel (Morecambe) does a fantastic gluten-free afternoon tea (which looks and tastes identical to non-GF). We’re going on Saturday for her birthday 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Think there’s quite a lot of barely-glutenous options, supposedly Bud, Coors light etc work too but I’m not immediately sensitive enough to know

They are both fine as the GF drink them and she swells like a pregnant lady from even a hint of gluten

No need to see a doctor, alternative or otherwise. I’m capable of making informed decisions.

Indeed, experts what the **** do they know anyway?

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Told by a doctor? Good luck, I listen to my body and very much KNOW the difference. Even the doctor I spoke to said that the coeliac test would not tell me anything and may not find I’m a coeliac but it doesn’t stop me having a problem with it and also solving many of my friends’ major medical complaints just through diet – stuff they needed really serious operations for but are now fine.

Sorry, it just winds me up that folk can say it’s a load of rubbish when they don’t actually know. Only way to know is to go zero for a month.

Anyway, speaking of zero (!), I drink Corona now and I’m fine with it and I know a lot of folk, including coeliacs who are fine with it too. I really missed beer (and proper beer that I definitely cannot drink) but look about – you’ll be shocked – gluten from barley can often not survive the malting and boiling processes involved. Wheat gluten is a lot harder though – it can survive and some!

Junkyard
    Free Member

coeliac test would not tell me anything

Do you mean it wont detect all cases ?
    A test that tells you nothing is not a test

schmiken

Stomach biopsy says yes (though… maybe it’s just me but I would laugh my balls off if the assorted sports people on gf diets for performance reasons or people on fad diets try to come off them and have lost their wheat tolerance!)

It’s your happy day! I went GF for performance reasons and now feel really bloated and slow (and windy too) if I eat wheat or gluten. It doesn’t bother me though as I feel so much better on a GF diet.

Northwind

Ah schmiken, I feel bad now 🙁

FWIW, I was coeliac but able to eat normally without any immediate ill effects- it was picked up due to a blood screening at a diabetic clinic. Usually people find out they’re coeliac after developing the immediately noticable side effects but the theory now is that there’s a large number of undiagnosed coeliacs. And thing is, though I wasn’t getting the bloating/vomiting/tiredness, I was getting the stomach damage, the osteoperosis, the risk of cancer etc- and that’s probably true of lots of other “stealth coeliacs”. Once I’d been on the diet for a while, I tried to go back off it for a day and, well, it wasn’t pretty (though it was colourful!) So maybe you have discovered something valuable that you might not have otherwise.

Or, maybe not 😉

Junkyard – lazarus

They are both fine as the GF drink them and she swells like a pregnant lady from even a hint of gluten

Tell her she’s just gone up in the world, from Junkyard’s GF to Northwind’s food taster 😆 I do like a wee coors light.

schmiken

Don’t feel bad, I think it’s quite funny 😀

I moved to a GF diet on the advice of my coach (actually Paleo, but GF all the same) and felt a fairly immediate improvement. I occasionally have grains and normally feel bad for it so tend not to bother.

Pembo
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

WOLD Brewery.

Yep, sorry for the typo. Just ordered myself 18 bottles for xmas drinking. Works out at just over £3 a bottle so not cheap.

Edit – not having a good day, maths completely wrong now. £57 for 24 bottles including delivery.

Northwind

Found some Green’s pilsner in Sainsburys. It’s not bad at all- bit more chemically and a bit less tasty than the Hambletons GFL though. Kind of Fostersish. Possibly a good barbeque/fighting lager 😉 And easy to find in the shops. Green’s do a pretty big range so tempted to track down th erest to try.

joshbosh12
    Free Member

Can i just jump in on this thread and tell you about a company that my mum has recently started. She bakes the most incredibly tasting Gluten Free stuff. Mail order & a website is coming soon. Please like our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/loveatfirstbake

Northwind

MMMMMMMM.

That is all.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Glutenfreeists, what's your beer?’ is closed to new replies.