Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gluten free cake recipes?
  • dan1980
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a Gluten free cake (or muffin) recipe that doesn’t taste like glue or sawdust (From my limited, and not entirely positive experiences!)?

I want to make a birthday cake for someone, and one of people coming along has Coeliac disease, so I don’t want them to feel left out.

Cheers!

ianfitz
    Free Member

Nigella’s lemon polenta cake is my favourite GF cake. Not very birthday cake in style but doubt you’ll have any complaints 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

Bean chocolate cake is very good, can find the recipe once home.

Edit: found it http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-cake-with-beans-4909

Yak

Exactly the same as normal, but use doves farm gluten free self raising flour and a dab of zanthun gum. (1/4 teaspoon for 12 cupcakes equivalent).

lemonysam
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a Gluten free cake (or muffin) recipe that doesn’t taste like glue or sawdust (From my limited, and not entirely positive experiences!)?

I made a gluten free, dairy free chocolate fudge cake for a hen party cake a while back which went down a storm. I’ll try and dig out the recipe.

oliverracing

This recipe can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free chocolate (you can easily leave out the cocoa powder to no adverse effect)- tastes great and really nice and chocolaty

lemonysam
    Free Member

Can’t find the one I used but in looking I did find this which looks ace if you like fridge cake…

Chocolate Chestnut Truffle Cake

Carrot cake is very easy to make gluten free (just switch out the flour) and works well.

Gotama
    Free Member

Think my wife uses a standard recipe for sponge but the amount of flour is substituted by 2/3 doves barn flour and 1/3 ground almonds. Makes the cake really moist rather than sawdust which is usually the case with GF stuff. I almost prefer it to a normal sponge. I can get the exact figures if you’re short on ideas.

BigJohn

A chocolate roulade doesn’t have flour in and is mighty fine. Finding gluten free chocolate might be a bit of a problem though.

A couple of times I have known people make a Christmas cake, and due to the enormous number of ingredients they accidentally left out the flour. Both times the results were better than the intended cake, in my view.

Hells

Here’s my version of a Lemon Polenta Cake, my tweaks to the recipe are in bold!
    Lemon/Orange Almond Polenta Cake

Ingredients
    For the cake
    • 200 gram(s) unsalted butter (soft (plus some for greasing))
    • 200 gram(s) caster sugar
    • 200 gram(s) Ground almonds
    • 100 gram(s) Polenta (or cornmeal)
    • 1.5 teaspoon(s) baking powder (gluten free if required) (I don’t bother with the baking powder)
    • 3 medium egg(s)
    • 2 medium lemon(s) (zest – save juice for syrup) (1 lemon & half an orange)
    For the syrup
    • 2 lemon(s) (juice) (1 lemon & half an orange)
    • 4 tbsp caster sugar
    • A few flaked almonds

Method
    1. Line the base of a 23cm springform cake tin with baking parchment and grease its sides lightly with butter. (I just use a square 20 cm x 20 cm tin)
    2. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 4.
    3. Beat the butter and sugar till pale and whipped, either by hand in a bowl with a wooden spoon, or using a freestanding mixer.
    4. Mix together the almonds, polenta and baking powder, and beat some of this into the butter-sugar mixture, followed by 1 egg, then alternate dry ingredients and eggs, beating all the while.
    5. Finally, beat in the lemon/ orange zest and pour, spoon or scrape the mixture into your prepared tin and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
    6. It may seem wibbly but, if the cake is cooked, a cake tester should come out cleanish and, most significantly, the edges of the cake will have begun to shrink away from the sides of the tin. remove from the oven to a wire cooling rack, but leave in its tin.
    7. Make the syrup by boiling together the lemon/ orange juice and icing sugar in a smallish saucepan.
    8. Once the sugar’s dissolved into the juice, you’re done.
    9. Prick the top of the cake all over with a cake tester (a skewer would be too destructive), pour the warm syrup over the cake, and leave to cool before taking it out of its tin.

100mphplus
    Free Member

If you’re after a whole cook book I can highly recommend this;-
    http://www.honeybuns.co.uk/Buy-Online/Gifts/Honeybuns-Gluten-free-Baking-Book

Thankfully I have no allergies, but I’ve not had anything out of this so far that wasn’t as good as, or better than ‘normal’ cakes.

ElShalimo

Look on Mrs Crimbles website – there is a recipe section with loads of choice

dan1980
    Free Member

Cheers folks, I’ve just got to get baking now!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gluten free cake recipes?’ is closed to new replies.