Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Glueless Patches – any good?
  • rthomas17
    Free Member

Do these work, or is it a gimick?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-GP-2C-self-adhesive-patches/dp/B0017RYO7K

Getting patches to stick with glue is a bit hit and miss for me, so these could be the answer.

micky
    Free Member

I cant say with the Park ones but the original “Leaches” are brilliant. I found the BBB ones not quite as good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve used Park for years now. Very good, IMO. OK, not always as “permanent” as a proper patch, but to get you home? Ideal.

titusrider
    Free Member

another + 1 for the Park tool ones i tend to carry them instead of a second tube. make sure you use the sandpaper to rough up as intended though

PaulD
    Free Member

They work if the tube is clean, roughened and bone dry….not always easy on the trail.
    I carry a spare tube and some glue-less patches as well as glue and old-school patches.
    Normally swap the tube and try to fix it in better conditions.
    Never had a problem with glue and patch if done carefully.

Just forget trying to patch a tube with Slime or equivalent inside it.

PaulD

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I found rubbery ones worked quite well, the foam ones that don’t stretch or bend are pants though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you struggle with regular patches, I’d say qwork on your technique, these aren’t any easier.

Basil

Use the Slime patches. Great for on the ride repairs (especially when cold weather)
    But they don’t last. Seem to “dry” off after some weeks and you end up with slow deflations.

SiB
    Free Member

OK for a while but tend to wrinkle after time, IME glue and patches permanent

avdave2

They work for me, however after having my usual annual total of 2 punctures in a week I’m thinking of going tubeless.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The Park ones are ace – also work very well on skinny roadie tyres and 100psi too!

Klunk
    Free Member

i prefer “trad” glue and patch, though i carry spare tubes i find it, once the tyre is off, not much more of a hassle to fix the puncture than swap the tube; besides it’s a pain to get all the air out of the old tube so it rolls up nicely. I’ve had quite a few failures of the pre glued patches on my road bike.

I’ve ditched my park tool ones as they aren’t reliable. I’d rather use old school as they work.

mike_p
    Free Member

I’ve used them for years, never had a problem with the Park ones. Shop around though, coz they ain’t cheap for what they are (£2.50 here)

arcoolc
    Free Member

I’ve used the Park ones without any real issue, but the Lezyne one’s I currently have are a bit more user friendy (to me anyway)

bigbloke
    Free Member

I discovered the Park patches a while ago and find them a revelation, sooo easy to use, no issues with 3 punctures repaired so far, 2 on one tube that i ride all the time since repairs. Bit pricy but worth it in my opinion for the simplicity. I also bought the tyre repair patches too after faffing with a friends exploded tyre at Afan, got to be easier than the old credit card tube bulging nurse it back to trail centre hassle.

Kryton57

I use the Park patches. I once replaced a tube with 13 of them on. I find them excellent and quick and permanent. put them on with the stube slightly deflated and rub them down hard. If you put them on an inflated tube they can peel off when the pressure in the tube reduces.

In real terms, thats £4 for the price of 13 inner tubes…..

fasthaggis

Same as Kryton and the captain.
    Used parks patches for years ,I think they are a great fast fix (if you have already used up your spare tube) when the weather is crap.

Faffing about with trad patches is done in the shed 🙂

oddjob
    Free Member

I think the Park ones are really good. I carry them as well as a spare tube on my road bike for emergencies and have used them several times always without problems.

I always buy a couple of packets at a time, but then we get a lot of flat tyres in Denmark for some reason.

GrahamS

I carry that little pack stuffed into the pouch of my Alien multi-tool (alongside an emergency tenner).

Nice “get you home” backup to have and not exactly heavy to carry.

For permanent repairs at home, use a proper patch.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Glueless Patches – any good?’ is closed to new replies.