• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Gloworm X2. Anything better for similar money?
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I currently have an Exposure Enduro that has served me very well for the last 5 years. It has been used twice a day throughout the winter for commuting and for night rides the rest of the year. Battery life is starting to become a problem though on longer rides but its fine for commuting as I can charge it daily if I need too. I have had a Google for new battery prices but for a bit more than the cost of a battery change (admittedly I have only got rough prices) I can get a new light.

I have read hundreds of peoples good experiences but I’m not interested in cheap Chinese after seeing a few failures, a few flickering ones and watching some batteries and a charger explode and set fire to a colleagues rucksack.

I don’t really want to spend exposure money again as it seems unnecessary when looking at outputs vs quality vs cost of some of the other units on the market. Also nothing takes my fancy in the helmet mountable range as the burn times and outputs don’t seem great although they are self contained units which is a big plus.

My current favourite choice is the new 1500 lumen Gloworm X2. It seems to fit all the requirements I have but am wondering if there are any alternatives for a similar price.
    One of the major selling points e of the Gloworm X2 for me (based on the mtbr test of the last model) is the fact that the lumen output is a tested real figure not a theoretical maximum.

Thanks

Andy

Clobber
    Free Member
    andysredmini
    Free Member

That’s my second choice at the moment.
    Slightly put off by a couple of things including not knowing the true lumen output. and the review saying that the gap in the beam can cause tired eyes.
    Another thing I like about the gloworm is that you can change out the lenses to suit.

cp

the gap in the beam can cause tired eyes

What?!! It’s a light FFS…

andysredmini
    Free Member

Congratulations. It is a light.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Im not worried about it causing tired eyes. I just don’t want a rubbish Beam pattern with gaps in it. I don’t have that now with my exposure and don’t want it on whatever I buy.

Luminous
    Free Member

One of the major selling points e of the Gloworm X2 for me (based on the mtbr test of the last model) is the fact that the lumen output is a tested real figure not a theoretical maximum.

Me and Trout have had our lights tested by an independent lab for real lumen figures and I’ve read good comments about Smudge’s lights too.
    😉

singlespeedstu

I have the smudge light and the x2.
    The x2 is a far better light in terms of beam,brightness and construction.

jam-bo

the gap in the beam can cause tired eyes

i’ve been running one for a year and I have no idea what that statement means.

beam pattern is great, I run it as a helmet light on its own.

variflex
    Free Member

TBH I dont think there is much out there for the money that can beat an X2. The build quality of the main unit and the battery are the biggest things going for it. The battery is VERY neat, rubberized with an indicator on it and a built in loop thus no pouch is needed, just velco to secure it.

I run an exposure on the bars and an X1 on the helmet. A friend just uses an X2 on his lid and finds it perfect on its own without the need for an additional light on the bars.

z1ppy

“Trout and I”

Only review I’ve seen of both by the same user, was here and they preferred the gloworm, now whether it’s £50 (nearly 50% of the cost of the lumenator) worth of betterness I couldn’t tell you….

EDIT: bugger, far too slow… so is it worth £50, almost 50% of the initial price of the luminator, more SStu?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Slightly put off by a couple of things including not knowing the true lumen output. and the review saying that the gap in the beam can cause tired eyes.

1) Same LED’s, similar casing (and therefore cooling), if they’re not very close I’ll eat my hat. The only lights that are bright enough to be annoying when other people are using them in our group are 4fourth (which are batshitmental bright).

2) There’s a gap? If there is, it’s not noticable to me, and the gap on my bastid P7 really gets on my tits!

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve the older x2 and an x1 on my helmet ………..cont really think of anything that would better this set up …..very small and light too …….well put together and service from crgmoto(neninja) is excellent

singlespeedstu

Z1ppy.
    To me it is yes.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve run the older X2 as a helmet light for about a year and it’s been great.

bigjim

I have the original gloworm X2 and it is fantastic, only quibbles are the o-ring based bar mount moves on rough terrain, there is an aluminium mount available now though.

lovewookie

I have an X2, great output from it and pretty sturdy build. The new version seems even brighter.

I’ve had a few problems with my version 1, the head unit had some problems, then something up with the battery, possibly the head unit, we weren’t sure. The reason we weren’t sure is cos Danny at CRGMoto was just great about it all. The conversations all went along the lines of:

Me: hi, I think there’s something wrong with the light..(explain a bit more)
    D: OK try ‘x’ and ‘y’ and see if it helps.

me: ok did that, didn’t help.
    D: ok I’m sending you a new one, return the old one when you can.

That is the sort of service you really want to have. Spot on.

New light is excellent, recommending it to anyone.

neninja
    Free Member

1) Same LED’s, similar casing (and therefore cooling), if they’re not very close I’ll eat my hat. The only lights that are bright enough to be annoying when other people are using them in our group are 4fourth (which are batshitmental bright).

The Gloworm X2 v3 uses Cree XML2 U2 emitters, as far as I know the Lumenator uses XML U2 – the XML2 U2 has approximately 20-25% more output than the XML U2 (which the X2 version 2 used). The Gloworm X2 version 3 has an additional 300 lumens with the emitter upgrade.

The casing is only similar in that both use 2 optics. The X2 uses larger diameter optics for great efficiency/throw and 9 full width fins top and bottom to dissipate heat.

I know Smudge’s customer service is excellent from personal experience and we also try to offer an excellent aftersales back up with the Gloworm range.

STW premium members get 10% off with the code shown on Tuesday treats earlier in the year.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

+1 for the lumenator here.
    Don’t notice any gap in the beam, just a really good spread of bright white light.
    I use mine everyday on the commute too and it is working perfectly after a 9 months of British weather.
    Can’t imagine having to use 100% unless I need to call down the mothership.
    Happy customer.

Painey
    Free Member

Bought a Fluxient 3000 lumen light for my bars last week and I can’t see how anything is going to better that. Granted it’s not the smallest/lightest light I’ve seen but the small and tidy bar mounted bracket works well and it throws out tons of light in a very usable beam.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

To be fair CRG Moto are offering a great price over the RRP of the Gloworm:

http://www.crgmoto.co.uk/new-gloworm-x2-led-light-system—version-3—1500-lumens—in-stock-2182-p.asp

Clobber
    Free Member

😆

muddyground
    Free Member

No experience of the X2, but I recently got hold of a Gemini Olympia which offers a bright light without the halo effect of the Chinese jobbies. Very pleased with it so far.

DanW
    Free Member

Weighing up the various options before buying, the Gloworm X2 appears the best balance of brightness/ lack of hot spots/ spread/ light weight/ run time/ attachment/ warranty quality/ flexibility on programming light options/ flexibility of changing flood, spot and super spot lenses/ cost and value. Basically everything.

I have survived last winter with Chinese lights so of course you don’t need to spend a lot of money to have something very usable…

… but I have just received my new Gloworm X2 v3 and initial impressions are very, very impressive. The “quality” of the light for want of a better term is just something else. Even on the lowest setting in the standard mode there is as much usable light as the high lumen Chinese lights I have, just without an annoying hot spot in the middle. Bust it up to the higher settings and it is like having that Chinese white hotspot covering the entire trail as far and wide as you could ever need.

Ok so I am somewhat in love with the new light but the difference in quality to cheaper lights in lots of respects really is noticeable

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Gloworm X2. Anything better for similar money?’ is closed to new replies.