Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Gloves for cold and wet?
  • Premier Icon pootle
    Free Member

It was cold and raining heavily when I went out this morning wearing a pair of Endura Strikes with a liner glove underneath. By the time I returned home I could hardly feel my hands making gear changes barely possible and braking awkward. The guy I was with was wearing Specialized Sub-Zeros and didn’t fare much better.

I’ve considered Neoprene gloves but I don’t think my hands would produce enough warmth in the first place so I’d just end up with a layer of cold water in the gloves.

Has anyone else overcome this problem? I would not be at all bothered about having sweaty hands. I’d rather they boiled than felt like they did this morning!

Premier Icon bullandbladder
    Free Member

Sealskins gloves are brilliant. Very toasty and waterproof too. They’re a little bulky, but what winter glove isn’t?

Premier Icon stratobiker
    Free Member

Try some windsurfing gloves.

Neoprene gloves work great. But IME they made my hands ache squeezing the bars!!

If it’s really cold and wet I carry spare gloves in my rucksack, packed close to my back.

Premier Icon pootle
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to start by trying the cheap option of woolly gloves underneath a pair of Marigolds!

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth

I suffer badly with cold hands and feet (though don’t have Raynauds AFAIK). I buy a size up and, if it’s really cold, wear silk liners.

I’ve tried really bulky Sealskinz, which actually make my hands sweat massively. So now I just wear Aldi’s finest. Suit me fine and keep my hands warm in all sorts of weather.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Aldi gloves are great down to -2 or -3 – they were fine this morning. Agree with going a size up and putting some liner gloves under for anything lower.

Though I did get the warmest version of Sealskins gloves half price in the summer – was too good a chance to miss…..Just waiting for some proper cold to try them out!

Premier Icon walla24
    Free Member

latex gloves under any old pair…. ghetto

Premier Icon sambob
    Free Member

Outdoor Designs Summit gloves are good, grippy and not as grippy as they look, but the outer layer is big enough that it doesn’t really come into contact with the inner layer, making them feel very light but still warm.

Premier Icon lemonysam
    Free Member

Before giving upon what you have, consider trying some wrist warmers. They make an enormous difference – much better than getting bulkier, more restrictive gloves. I use Marmot Powerstretch ones but an old pair of woolly socks with the toes off and a thumb hole is almost as good.

Premier Icon ask1974
    Free Member

Neoprene rocks…

and here

Just keep them on as once removed it takes ages to warm up again. Other that that fantastic, first time I’ve had no hand issues on a cold ride.

Premier Icon Rob Hilton
    Free Member

latex gloves under any old pair…. ghetto

Great for preventing frozen snowballing fingers.

Premier Icon wobbliscott

I wear my ski gloves in really cold weather. They keep my hands cold in -20 so they are fine on the bike, waterproof and breathable and relatively cheap.

Premier Icon pedlad

Going to Afan soon and not banking on it being balmy and dry so I’ve been wondering about getting some waterproof gloves myself. I don’t really suffer with cold hands, so just keeping them dry and breathable is what’s required, but without spending megabucks.

It got me thinking what about some basic leather gloves. I remember seeing ski instructors wearing them quite a lot and they should be pretty waterproof. What about these
    Gloves

Or do we think they’ll get slimy and slippy after a long time in the lovely welsh weather…

Premier Icon pjm84
    Free Member

Answer.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52516

Best gloves I have.

Premier Icon composite

+1 for Sealskins gloves.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog

The only properly waterproof glove technology I’ve used is Outdry where the membrane is bonded directly onto the inside of the outer layer of the glove rather than being a floating liner, like Gore-Tex etc for example, where water pools between the liner and the glove. Used by Mountain Hardwear, Columbia, Musto, but not for cycling gloves by anyone except a Japanese company called Mont Bell.

I have a pair of MHW ones I use with a selection of liner gloves depending on how cold it is, these, but I’m not sure you can still get them in the UK. Oh, google says Pearl Izumi uses it too, ah, but the glove costs a hundred quid… Oh well.

Premier Icon loddrik
    Free Member

These Endura Strikes have been my winter waterproof gloves for several years and have been excellent.

Premier Icon nickswolves
    Free Member

I wear Endura dexter gloves for majority of winter riding but when sub zero the Aldi ones take some beating

Premier Icon rocketman
    Free Member

Fox Antifreeze get my vote.

Wore them down to -15 during the Winter of 2010-2011 they were amazing.

Assos Winter gloves also most excellent for the road.

Premier Icon pootle
    Free Member

Of those who have recommended Neoprene, what thickness would you suggest? I’m wondering if 3mm would be too inflexible.

Premier Icon Farmers Choice
    Free Member

I ride in winter with 3mm single lined surfing gloves. Single lined means they only have the jersey coating on the inside. The outside is like a finely textured / smooth finish which sheds water immediately and reduces wind chill. They are also glued and blind stitched so totally waterproof. Good grip as well.

Premier Icon simmy
    Free Member

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gore-bike-wear/countdown-gloves-ec016072#BVRRWidgetID

Not cheap but Ive never got wet or cold with these on.

Premier Icon gary

The Mtn Hardwear Epic gloves that BWD mentioned above are half price on Sport Pursuit today if anyone fancies a punt.

Cheeky referrer link : http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/gary_hill_11525

Premier Icon sambob
    Free Member

Now I’ve ordered them, SportPursuit have the gloves Jon mentioned above. Get them through this link though, then I get some money 🙂
    http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/Sam_Butler_64812

Premier Icon Frankers
    Free Member

I always use Chiba gloves in winter, not tried these new ones yet though from Merlin

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Gloves for cold and wet?’ is closed to new replies.